Utah 1940s ... wow!

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
moksha

Utah 1940s ... wow!

Post by moksha » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:20 pm

What was life like in Zion before you were born? Take a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc5N5cxcfFo
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Re: Utah 1940s ... wow!

Post by Hagoth » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:44 pm

moksha wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:20 pm

Wow, so much of that stuff is still here. I really enjoyed the Saltaire footage. The train track grade is still there and I always wondered what kind of vehicle ran on it.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:58 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:44 pm
Wow, so much of that stuff is still here. I really enjoyed the Saltaire footage. The train track grade is still there and I always wondered what kind of vehicle ran on it.
In order to get people to the LDS Saltair, there were trolley lines from downtown SLC. To make it even more popular, this LDS resort sold beer - pre-prohibition, so you could go to Sunday School the next day and be redeemed. I am uncertain if they still sold Valley Tan whiskey at that time, but I doubt they would have served it.

Those were the days! BYU now predicts that the Great Salt Lake will dry up around 2028.

BTW, Saltair burnt down around 1962. The documentary "Attack of the Giant Brine Shrimp" attributed the fire to -- you guessed it -- the Giant Brine Shrimp. No need to worry, it was taken out by a giant seagull.

I loved seeing all those old cars in downtown SLC.

BTW2 - Just curious if anyone remembers the Ding Ho (across the street from Auerbachs) or the Mayflower Cafe (next door to Daines Music)?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:47 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:44 pm
moksha wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:20 pm

I was thinking a horseback tour through Arches would be quite enjoyable. 8-)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:32 pm

this was a great video. Thanks for sharing, Moksha!
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.