Anyone want to discuss the changes to the temple?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
wtfluff

Re: Anyone want to discuss the changes to the temple?

Post by wtfluff » Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:19 pm

I heard (read) that "Loud Laughter" is no longer a covenant-breaking act for endowed folks.

Ha Ha Ha!!!

:lol: :lol:

:lol:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:52 am

wtfluff wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:19 pm
I heard (read) that "Loud Laughter" is no longer a covenant-breaking act for endowed folks.

Ha Ha Ha!!!

But evil speaking of the Lord's pretend anointed is still a no-no, right?

“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:04 am

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:52 am
wtfluff wrote:

Ha Ha Ha!!!

Alas, I think you are correct. Is calling the Q15 "Stooges" evil?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:21 pm

I haven't been yet, had a busy week and next week will be worse, but sometime in the next month I will go, and then return and report.

I have heard a couple of things, though, through the grapevine of people who have been to a session. One is that the session is now about 12-15 minutes longer than it used to be. I'm sure making it even a longer commitment than it was previous will bring the young people in! The other is that it's more Christ-centred, although I'm not sure what that exactly entails. So I will go and see - my suspicions are that this is another nothing burger, and will just drum up temporary interest that will quickly wane.

As to the powerpoint comments, I can see where that idea comes from. But I'm an old geezer, and I liken the presentation more to a filmstrip with music, that's just a lot more smooth than when you cranked the handle on the projector. Hopefully older coots like me will get the analogy!
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:02 pm

Mormorrisey wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:21 pm
One is that the session is now about 12-15 minutes longer than it used to be.
Ugh.

I heard that the change before this one cut down on the average endowment time commitment because they when from "robe, derobe, rerobe" to just "robe" and they did away with some of the, do this, okay I'll do it, hey do this for me, okay we'll do it, did you do it, yeah, hey the did it, great now do this...

And now they're going in the opposite direction. Jesus peeking out from behind a bush every few minutes to remind the audience that he's still there really added that much time back in?
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:22 pm

In laws are temple workers. When asked about it yesterday they said “we can’t talk about it” but it’s wonderful.

They said the initiatory changed too.

The term “who is dead” has been removed from the initiatory, baptism, and endowments. Assuming from sealing language as well.

Syster Ryder is planning to attend to see for herself. although she did say it was a strange feeling to know all about it based on Reddit. We respectfully discussed the other night and I read her various posts.

Her testimony of endless temple work has been crumbling lately.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:10 pm

Mormorrisey wrote:
Hopefully older coots like me will get the analogy!
"DING"

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

malkie

Post by malkie » Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:59 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:52 am
wtfluff wrote:

Ha Ha Ha!!!

Well, to be fair, nobody said that wicked laughter was prohibited - just keep it down to a dull roar and you should be OK.

But at least by implication, even pleasant and otherwise-righteous laughter is to be avoided if it is loud.

"How loud?", you ask?

You might as well ask: "How long is a piece of string?" :D :D
aka malkie

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:45 am

wtfluff wrote:
Keep them yelling their devotion
But add a touch of hate at Rome.
We will rise to a greater power
The Starship Nauvoo will take us home.

--Bruce R. McConkie, Superstar
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:44 pm

I had no idea it had moved to a slideshow format years ago. I can't even believe they expect people to show up and watch the same PPT presentation over and over and over again. These people.

Posts like this always make me so happy that I am so clueless about what is happening in the Mormon world.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:18 am

lostinmiddlemormonism wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:13 am
...also PowerPoint....how very 1990!

-lost
malkie wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:28 pm
2bizE wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:24 pm
Does the slideshow make a beep sound when it is time to move to the next slide?

Does the church try to make it sound like a covenant to wear garments 24/7? Remember wearing garments was only an instruction.
Are you stuck back in the days of the flannelboard? :)
Oh my Gods...I can't stop laughing :lol: :lol: :lol: (But I guess loud laughter is okay now? :lol: )

I almost want to go see for myself. Powerpoint? :lol: WTF? :roll: :lol:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:57 pm

Jana Reiss has an article up about the temple changes, and this seems to be in line with the things I've heard:

https://religionnews.com/2023/02/10/mor ... -ceremony/

I will go soon, and just clarify if Jana's sources are accurate. It's a little weird, that she didn't go to see the changes for herself - last I heard, she was a temple going member. Maybe her stance on giving 10% to real charity, instead of tithing, has caught up to her? New bishop, maybe?
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

Culper Jr.

Post by Culper Jr. » Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:00 pm

I don't think they will go back to the films. They lock them in, but with the powerpoint they can make any changes they want whenever. Last time I was going several years ago they had started the powerpoint thing and it was TERRIBLE. Gave me a headache with the constant Ken Burns effect with super sappy music playing.

I am thinking that perhaps training new workers has become a huge issue for them. 10+ years ago when I was a worker, training was always a challenge. A lot of people want to be a temple worker (so they can tell all of their family and friends that they are a temple worker), but they don't want the time commitment and many struggle to learn all of the stuff. The temple wanted at least once a week just because any less than that and many would have a hard time learning everything. Initiatory was the worst, sooo much memorization. But officiator was a challenge too. You had to listen for the right words to know when to stand, and how to give the tokens and present at the veil and do the prayer circle. You have to find a witness couple, which can be a challenge because ideally it's a married couple. I can see where this has streamlined it so that all the officiator has to do is push the button and let 'er rip.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:48 pm

malkie wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:28 pm
2bizE wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:24 pm
Does the slideshow make a beep sound when it is time to move to the next slide?

Does the church try to make it sound like a covenant to wear garments 24/7? Remember wearing garments was only an instruction.
Are you stuck back in the days of the flannelboard? :)
Ahh yes, the flannel board. As a kid, that is what we used during FHE to learn the Plan of Salvation and other Mormony things.
~2bizE

sparky

Post by sparky » Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:51 pm

Mormorrisey wrote:
The other is that it's more Christ-centred, although I'm not sure what that exactly entails.
Haven't been myself (and hope to hell I never go again), but from everything I've read it seems the new Christ-centeredness entails simply adding lots of pictures of White Jesus to the presentation.

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:51 pm

Do you think changing the nude clogging to later on Wednesday night was a good move?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

alas

Post by alas » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:46 pm

moksha wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:51 pm
Do you think changing the nude clogging to later on Wednesday night was a good move?
Is nude clogging done barefoot? Asking for a friend.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:52 pm

alas wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:46 pm
moksha wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:51 pm
Is nude clogging done barefoot? Asking for a friend.
Ha ha ha ha ha LOL!!!
Thanks for the laugh

Sis RR is going on Friday. I’ll return and report!

Edited to Return and Report:

She said most of the changes discussed online were accurate. Overall it was a decent attempt to take the dumb wording out (although firmament was still over used). The patriarchy was somewhat reduced as she noted the male temple worker no longer stands there smug and mighty, but rather just gets to push a button to stop/go the PowerPoint.

One comment online mentioned that Eve was shown presenting at the veil. In her session Adam was presenting and Eve was in the background slightly unfocused In order to put the viewers attention on Adam. It appears (by confirmation from her temple working mother) that they rotate between Adam and Eve depending on the session.

Throughout the endowment they kept showing Adam and Eve’s faces CGI’ed onto new parts which made it appear cartoonish at times. Or at least bad enough CGI to break the fourth wall.

The auto officiator voice in the presentation inviting people up to participate in the prayer circle says “couples AND individuals” may come up. The live old geezer then invited “couples” to come up. Old habits….

Overall she said it was a decent attempt and seems to remedy a lot of the complaints members have been vocal about. The additional Jesus pictures were out of place compared to the previous versions.

She said she’s starting to see it as a silly ritual and hasn’t felt the spirit as she once has now that she’s listened to a few podcasts and the Bad Mormon book by Heather Gay.

Baby steps…
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg