New alligations against Ensign Peak Advisors

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Just This Guy

New alligations against Ensign Peak Advisors

Post by Just This Guy » Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:47 am

New allegations of financial misconduct by Ensign Peak Advisors have been submitted for review by the US Senate not claiming the they were defrauding the IRS. This is a followup and expansion of the original 2019 allegations.

https://religionunplugged.com/news/2023 ... -committee

I am only really seeing 2 new things with this disclosure.

1. The existence of foreign bank accounts and holdings that EPA previously denied having.
2. As a result of the 2019 disclosure, EPA was forced to changed some of their reporting practices to be in compliance with various regulatory rules that they were not following before.

The part I find interesting is that they are calling for the US Senate Finance Committee to investigate what would amount of tens of billion in fraud and tax avoidance against the IRS. I don't know if it will go any where.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Hagoth

Re: New alligations against Ensign Peak Advisors

Post by Hagoth » Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:56 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:47 am
I don't know if it will go any where.
If I remember correctly, an analysis of the potential penalties for Ensign Peak cheating the people and the government leans in favor of Ensign Peak. Even if found guilty of all accusations, the fines they will have to pay are far less than the equity they will accrue in the meantime. Crime pays. If you're committing crime in God's name, all the more reason to ignore ethics and continue full steam ahead.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Mormorrisey

Re: New alligations against Ensign Peak Advisors

Post by Mormorrisey » Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:15 pm

I read that article too, and I'm with y'all that I don't think it will go anywhere either. It doesn't seem that lying about anything will get you much of a punishment anywhere anymore, and I would think the church has enough political and financial clout that they will get away with it.

Old man yells at cloud, I know, I know.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."