LDS & GSL

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

LDS & GSL

Post by Hagoth » Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:34 pm

The church didn't dust off its rainy day fund to help with COVID. I wonder what they will do if the doomsayers are right and the SLC valley is doomed to a slow arsenic death when the Great Salt Lake dries up. They have most of their money here, both in investments in in tithe-payers. If it came down to it, and if there turned out to be some sort of very expensive solution, would they cough up the money to help, or would they use it to abandon the common folk, get out out of dodge, and establish a new throne elsewhere?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Linked

Re: LDS & GSL

Post by Linked » Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:38 pm

They would tell members to donate to the cause thru LDS philanthropies, take credit for the generosity of the members, and then keep most of it.

They would also lobby for government funds.

And take photo ops.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:48 am

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:34 pm
If it came down to it, and if there turned out to be some sort of very expensive solution, would they cough up the money to help, or would they use it to abandon the common folk, get out out of dodge, and establish a new throne elsewhere?

Considering cut and run has been the church's MO since the beginning, I don't see why they wouldn't not do it today. Each time throughout church history the heat gets too much and they may get forced to deal with the consequences of their actions, they leave town. Ohio, Missouri, Illinois, the left each time. They will find some reason to spin it as the God's will.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:55 am

Pray for rain? Or consider a real estate development dream! Think of all the new housing developments they can build?

Since I don’t live in Utah I haven’t really followed the issue. Is the risk at hand that the lake dries up and turns into one giant dust bowl?

How can it be mitigated? Assuming there isn’t any excess water like the rest of the southwest with lake Lowell and Lake Mead there’s no way to refill the lake. How about pumping Utah lake dry and sending it over point if the mountain North?

What about paving it with concrete and making it one giant parking lot for all the GC attendees. Shuttle bus anyone?

The climate wars are going to significantly resemble the wars between the Nephites and Lamenites.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

alas

Post by alas » Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:41 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:55 am
Pray for rain? Or consider a real estate development dream! Think of all the new housing developments they can build?

Since I don’t live in Utah I haven’t really followed the issue. Is the risk at hand that the lake dries up and turns into one giant dust bowl?

How can it be mitigated? Assuming there isn’t any excess water like the rest of the southwest with lake Lowell and Lake Mead there’s no way to refill the lake. How about pumping Utah lake dry and sending it over point if the mountain North?

What about paving it with concrete and making it one giant parking lot for all the GC attendees. Shuttle bus anyone?

The climate wars are going to significantly resemble the wars between the Nephites and Lamenites.
The problem isn’t just a dust bowl, but a poisonous dust bowl, full of arsenic, lead, and other toxins. It would have to be paved over. But then SLC loses the “lake effect” which causes the clouds to release more moisture before going over the mountains, so the valley gets even dryer, plus you have the big parking lot heating up and cooking the people of SLC.

How about they recruit volunteers to collect the top layer of salt and dust and ship it to process the salt and remove toxins. The volunteers would wear yellow t-shirts and shovel the dirt into big trucks to haul off to process. Then the state could sell the land to developers and build houses. All the rich people get richer. Of course, the volunteers would all eventually die from exposure to the toxins, but the church wouldn’t care, and there is no way they can get all the toxins out, so the people living on the land would die too.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:47 am

The problem is compounded by the growing population along the Wasatch front. The Legislature, which has a lot of contractors in it, has an interest in continued growth, but where are they going to get more water? :?
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:46 pm

I think the Brethren realize that at some point they need to abandon SLC and build a vast underground fortress on Tonga, then keep accumulating interest on their investments until technology is to the point where they can begin building the Starship Nauvoo.

In the meantime, when the Great Salt Lake dries up and toxic dust starts blowing eastward, they can shift their base of operation to some other location.

Wonder if they might help the remaining residents who are unable to flee with some handcarts.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:34 am

Weren't we all moving to Missouri?

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:04 pm

Chad Daybill says Rexburg! :lol: :roll:
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:34 am

lostinmiddlemormonism wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:34 am
Weren't we all moving to Missouri?
That was my thought exactly! They can turn it into fulfillment of prophesy. Never mind that they would be abandoning all of the Wasatch Front temples to guard the foundation of an unbuilt temple that they don't even own. Oh, that's it! $100+ Billion might finally be enough to persuade the few remaining Temple Lot members to sell their lot. They could use that money to move to Utah, pave over the GSL and pick up where the Very Elect left off.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:43 am

OK Q15, are you listening?

Scrape up all the toxic crud and pile it up in the center of the lakebed to create a raised platform. Encase that platform in concrete to keep its contents from escaping back into the environment. Build the New Jerusalem on top of that platform where, even if God does send rain someday it will remain high and dry. Maybe multiple platforms, for temples, malls, slave, er... service missionary colonies, etc. You can recoup your money easily by providing a pay-for-second-anointing tier system, maybe even introduce a third and fourth anointing - as many as you want if you follow the Scientology model.

My biggest concern: please, please don't destroy the Nephite tunnels under the lake that my mom was so certain are down there.