Church paying $5 Million SEC fine

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

Re: Church paying $5 Million SEC fine

Post by Hagoth » Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:07 pm

w2mz wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:49 pm
I think the leadership is giving general members way too much credit. True believers won’t think for themselves, they’ll keep giving money regardless of how much wealth the church has, because of their mindless obedience.
I would have. If fact, I would probably have considered it a demonstration of my faith. Another of the God's trickster tests to separate the wheat from the tares.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:30 am

wtfluff wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:03 pm
Cnsl1 wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:08 am
I stand corrected.
Cnsl1: I hope I didn't "offend" you with my post. I wasn't necessarily trying to call you out. I have seen several posts elsewhere asking "who" stated that the fraud was committed to hide tithing funds from members.

I literally randomly found that screenshot over on that other website that might focus on "exMORmON" type stuff. :shock:

If true, I wonder how long "Brother" Clarke will remain "head of Ensign Peak Advisors" ?
You didn't offend me at all.

I hope I didn't sound offended.

I value accuracy and truth over opinion, so if I'm wrong, and there is data to support that I'm wrong, I appreciate knowing about it, so I can then adjust my thinking and make corrections and apologies as needed.

This is a pretty huge deal, but I'm not sure even something as blatant as violating an SEC rule for years (i.e. breaking the law) will influence a significant number of TBMs to stop or reduce their contributions. The church has already spun the story such that members can assume some lackeys made mistakes interpreting a complicated SEC rule and since God allows people their free agency, this caused a legal problem but the church handled it, and the matter is closed. It might even encourage more diligence in contributing since the church had to pay a million dollar fine, as well probably increased suspicion and distrust of the government who goes after God's church. God would not allow the prophet to lead us astray. Stay in the boat. Keep on the covenant path.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:00 am

Cnsl1 wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:30 am
I value accuracy and truth over opinion, so if I'm wrong, and there is data to support that I'm wrong, I appreciate knowing about it, so I can then adjust my thinking and make corrections and apologies as needed.
Me too.

Thanks for your reply.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:48 am

The latest Mormonism Live podcast does a great job of reading through the most salient sections of the SEC report and comparing/contrasting them with the church handbook and GA statements about honesty and integrity.

https://mormonismlive.org/2023/03/mormo ... -advisors/
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:26 pm

I was watching the post-attainment speech by the NY district attorney regarding Trump and his 34 counts of fraud. Turns out Trump falsified documents and set up shell companies to hide his crimes….something he said sounded oddly familiar.
~2bizE