How the church has changed....and stayed the same.

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
lostinmiddlemormonism

How the church has changed....and stayed the same.

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:22 pm

I grew up in the Midwest. Church members were few and far between.

My friends would accuse me of belonging to a cult and worshiping Joseph Smith. There were jokes about singing praises to a man, and Merry Smithmas.

It seems like now we have deemphasized our focus on Joseph Smith. We are trying not to focus so much on being "Mormon".

Now it seems like we belong to the Church of Russel M Nelson of Latter-day Saints.

So we may not be worshiping Joseph Smith anymore, but there are a whole lot of members and leaders who can't wait quote Rusty, praise Rusty, and worship Rusty.

Follow the Profit. The number 1 rule in Mormonism er....Latter-day Saintism since 1830.

Hagoth

Re: How the church has changed....and stayed the same.

Post by Hagoth » Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:29 pm

lostinmiddlemormonism wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:22 pm
Now it seems like we belong to the Church of Russel M Nelson of Latter-day Saints.
Worshiping Joseph Smith would be so much more interesting. It is The Church of Colorless, Unflavored Gelatin. The best thing it has going for it is its surprising ability to sometimes nail the gelatin to the wall.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

dogbite

Re: How the church has changed....and stayed the same.

Post by dogbite » Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:55 pm

Scouts was the only part of my church experience I liked. And now it's gone.

I get that it's very much scoutmaster roulette for if you had a good experience or not. I had a great scoutmaster and the parents supported him.

I tried to emulate his practices when I was scoutmaster but I couldn't get the parental support.