Role of the Cantor

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
moksha

Role of the Cantor

Post by moksha » Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:47 am

If you've seen Jewish, Catholic, or Islamic services, you have experienced the singing of sacred portions of the text. That was done by a Cantor (the name changes by faith tradition). This was from a very old style, not from the Protestant tradition of Joseph Smith's day.

Was it good that this was not restored? If it was restored, could you imagine some of your fellow ward members trying to chant their testimony? Imagine chanting "It is so true" to the opening of Beethoven's 5th symphony. Or the Coca-Cola song, "I'd like to teach the world to sing a perfect testimony".

Any thoughts regarding what else could have been restored?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

alas

Re: Role of the Cantor

Post by alas » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:35 am

Other things that could be restored:

1. the very old Jewish belief that the Godhead consisted of a Father, Mother, Son, and Daughter.
2. The very old Jewish belief that Heavenly Father was married to the Goddess of Wisdom.
3. The very very old pre-Jewish belief and worship of the Fertility Goddess. What kind of “prostitute” did Tamar dress up as, in order to seduce her FIL to give children to her dead husband, in which it was no sin at all for the said FIL to have sex with someone who wasn’t his wife? Oh, she dressed up as a priestess of the Fertility Goddess, and it was perfectly OK for her FIL to have sex with her because the law said he had an obligation to marry her.
4. Idols to the Fertility Goddess in the Temple.
5. Idols to the Wisdom Goddess in the temple.
And last for now, but most important.
6. The acceptance of Wisdom as a virtue.

Hagoth

Re: Role of the Cantor

Post by Hagoth » Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:55 pm

I think Weird Alma is the closest thing we have to a Cantor these days.

In actual worship service,the nearest equivalent is "Follow the Prophet, follow the Prophet..." repeated ad nauseum.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."