Church secret dealings?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Palerider

Church secret dealings?

Post by Palerider » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:07 am

Just wondering if anyone here had more insight regarding secret meetings leadership had in 1923 that used the SLC temple plot and various other church owned buildings as collateral to procure loans for businesses created by Heber J. Grant?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a1rxA9562jA
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

moksha

Re: Church secret dealings?

Post by moksha » Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:31 pm

The four episodes on Mormon Stories with Shannon Caldwell Montez covered these secret meetings between the Brethren and BH Roberts, and the subsequent meeting between BH Roberts and the intelligentsia of the Church, very well. In the end, there were no good answers for the traditional LDS fiction. Robert's concerns are now found in the CES letter for all to read.

The answer of the Brethren was to table Robert's report indefinitely. Out of sight, out of mind. This led to the famous LDS song lyric, "Put your head on the pillow, doze along".
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:52 pm

I think we're talking about a different set of meetings. These don't involve B.H. Roberts. They're more regarding a business deal made by Heber J. Grant that was unknown to general church membership.
I have listened to some of the Caldwell Montez episodes but not all. So perhaps I'm wrong?
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

George Washington

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:18 pm

Palerider wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:52 pm
I think we're talking about a different set of meetings. These don't involve B.H. Roberts. They're more regarding a business deal made by Heber J. Grant that was unknown to general church membership.
I have listened to some of the Caldwell Montez episodes but not all. So perhaps I'm wrong?
Perhaps 1923 was a year for multiple secret meetings.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:35 am

moksha wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:18 pm
Perhaps 1923 was a year for multiple secret meetings.
It's all secrets inside of secrets, guys. But the hints are there. If you add up the digits 1+9+2+3 you get 15. That's the total number of secret meetings. Divide that by the number of people in the First Presidency, as symbolic of the godhead, and you get 5. Five sets of secret meetings: the secret financial meetings, the B.H. Roberts meetings, and three sets of mysterious super-secret solemn assembly meetings. Rumor has it that those were: when they tried to use Joseph's seer stone and parchment to summon the ghost of Captain Kidd, when they tried to put the toothpaste back in the tube, and when they played Twister with Elijah AND Elias in the temple.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:15 am

There was a good write up I found back in 2015 by a student at BYU on Heber Js 1893 loan seeking activities, but alas, it's gone now. I remember it showed a lot of desperation of him running around NY, looking for anyone willing to provide a loan to save the UT banks. He was certainly behaving as a for profit and not as a prophet. But perhaps thanks to Heber, TSCC avoided financial collapse and look at them now! Definitely got their many mansions in order!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:56 pm

Palerider wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:07 am
Just wondering if anyone here had more insight regarding secret meetings leadership had in 1923 that used the SLC temple plot and various other church owned buildings as collateral to procure loans for businesses created by Heber J. Grant?

It was a loan for the Utah-Idaho Sugar Company (as you probably know) and there were some VERY shady dealings going on. Grant was the president of this company and it was going bankrupt, so he needed money to save it.

Here's a history of this sugar company and I'll quote some points that are relevant:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah-Idaho_Sugar_Company
U-I was $23 million in debt by 1921. The LDS church attempted to help, but more help was needed, so Heber J. Grant went to U-I's bankers in New York and Chicago.
Heber J. Grant had the LDS church subscribe to the remainder (almost $2 million), and also advanced a loan to the company.
The FTC found Utah-Idaho Sugar guilty of unfair business practices on October 3, 1923.
During The Great Depression, U-I borrowed heavily from the LDS church, and both local and East Coast banks.
I have this quote in my notes:

"In 1923 President Grant mortgaged the temple and put it in the hands of the world in order to support a sugar business! To take out a $30 million loan (for fifty years) he used Temple Square as collateral."

"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:19 am

AllieOop wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:56 pm
Palerider wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:07 am

It was a loan for the Utah-Idaho Sugar Company (as you probably know) and there were some VERY shady dealings going on. Grant was the president of this company and it was going bankrupt, so he needed money to save it.

Here's a history of this sugar company and I'll quote some points that are relevant:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah-Idaho_Sugar_Company
U-I was $23 million in debt by 1921. The LDS church attempted to help, but more help was needed, so Heber J. Grant went to U-I's bankers in New York and Chicago.
Heber J. Grant had the LDS church subscribe to the remainder (almost $2 million), and also advanced a loan to the company.
The FTC found Utah-Idaho Sugar guilty of unfair business practices on October 3, 1923.
During The Great Depression, U-I borrowed heavily from the LDS church, and both local and East Coast banks.
I have this quote in my notes:

"In 1923 President Grant mortgaged the temple and put it in the hands of the world in order to support a sugar business! To take out a $30 million loan (for fifty years) he used Temple Square as collateral."

Hey Allie, thanks so much for the insight on this deal. So we see that these shady dealings (like the current Ensign Peak debacle) are nothing new for church leadership. If you have more info on where to find this stuff please feel free to share. In the mean time I will do my own research now that you've given us a direction. :)

George Washington

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:48 am

"The church" was born out of secrets. Nothing has changed that in almost 200 years.

Joseph started out as a treasure digger. Does anyone think he had an ad in the local newspaper "Want Ads" offering his services? I doubt it. As we know, glass-looking was illegal, so Joseph's first "career" had to be a secret.

The Book of Mormon wouldn't have been invented if not for Joseph's first career. And "The Golden Plates" had to be kept secret, didn't they?

Then we move on to the temple. The initial incarnation of the "endowment" with the Anointed Quorum was invented to keep Joseph and his buddies polygamy secret. The magick underwear was part of that secrecy too.

How about the second anointing? Not secretive at all is it?

Just like the turtles, with LD$-Inc.™ it's secrets all the way down.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...