Has anyone read Living On the Inside of the Edge by Christian Kimball?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
sparky

Has anyone read Living On the Inside of the Edge by Christian Kimball?

Post by sparky » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:43 am

I found out about this book from a Religion News Service article by Jana Reis (you can easily Google the article if you're interested). The author was a bishop in the 90s who basically became a non-recommend-holding PIMO after he was released. He wrote the book to share his strategies for staying connected to the church but also being an adult.

I read the preview available on Amazon and it sounds like it could be useful for someone like me. Not everything resonated with me, but I like that he's not prescriptive at all, he's very upfront that this book isn't for everyone and you have to decide for yourself what works and what doesn't.

I would love to walk away from the church completely, and while that may be my eventual path, for now I'm in the unenviable half-in-half-out position for family reasons. I'm thinking of buying the full book to see if it has useful perspectives to help me endure in the meantime. Has anyone here read it?

Link to the book

2bizE

Re: Has anyone read Living On the Inside of the Edge by Christian Kimball?

Post by 2bizE » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:21 am

I purchased the book a few weeks ago, but have not started reading it yet.
~2bizE

Spicy McHaggis

Re: Has anyone read Living On the Inside of the Edge by Christian Kimball?

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:31 am

There was an article about him in the Salt Lake Tribune a month or two ago.

It's interesting that he wants to be a part of the church while not believing it. Most of us couldn't keep that up without losing part of our souls.