Where will you go?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
stuck

Where will you go?

Post by stuck » Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:44 pm

I met with my bishop recently. He called me in probably because he wanted to see how I was doing since I had met with him before and let him know of my non-belief. He asked me the usual questions that you would ask a non-believer such as what spiritual experiences did you have in the past and I told him about "spiritual confirmations" that hadn't worked out with my career and who I wanted to marry. Also, he asked where will you go if you end up leaving the church? I asked him if he had heard of the "Mormon bubble" and he said he had. I said I would like to just be free of that and be able to think and act for myself. He seemed to think that that was a good answer.

How would you guys and gals answer that sort of question?

Red Ryder

Re: Where will you go?

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:13 pm

Wherever I choose!
There is beauty in the unknown!
Starbucks
Costco on a Sunday
Donut church with Corsair

There’s so many places to go. A Mormon chapel is the least exciting of them all.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:21 pm

When we first left the church, I made a concerted effort to take my family somewhere at least two Sundays a month--trips to the downtown library, the zoo, the art museum, new parks, the botanical gardens, the mural walk, new hiking trails, whatever. We still frequently go places on Sunday. things that are open Sunday morning are our faves because they're not usually as busy then. (Don't live in Morridor. People here go to church, but then they do whatever they want the rest of the day. Better get to Costco when they open if you want to actually be able to move. ;) )

Guess what we found when we went all of these amazing places? Other families having fun together.

Mormon scare tactics really don't hold up to scrutiny once you step away from the church. At this point, I literally cannot imagine what would possibly convince me to waste a wonderful weekend day sitting in the boredom, guilt fest that is Sunday in an LDS church.

(Plus, coffee is amazing. Just saying. :D)

On a more serious note, since I left the church, I got a graduate degree and started a career that I really enjoy and that I am good at. I get to work with amazing people, and it's been a great new adventure. Mormonism kept me from lots of personal growth.

So,where will I go? Wherever I want.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:57 pm

I would say I'm already there; on a journey of discovery instead of going around and around in the same circle. I would tell him that a wise man once said, "if you still believe the same things at fifty that you believed at twenty-five, you've wasted twenty-five years."
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:39 pm

stuck wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:44 pm
I asked him if he had heard of the "Mormon bubble" and he said he had. I said I would like to just be free of that and be able to think and act for myself. He seemed to think that that was a good answer.
I think this is a pretty good answer as well.

Even though we aren't affiliated with any organized denomination, we still have a quiet Sabbath at our home.
Our kids are all grown and married so we pretty much just rest up for the week to come. Still do some studying of scripture. Have some spiritual music going. Occasionally even do our own "sacrament" with real grape juice instead of the water imposter. And guess what!?! I don't need anyone's permission to do the sacrament IN MY OWN HOME!

No meaningless "rah, rah" meetings. No rushing from 6:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. or later. No fast and testimony travel logs. No manipulative talks. No swallowing false doctrine or whitewashed history, no Joseph Smith worship, no current "follow the brethren" worship. No wondering where the Savior is in all of this busy work that really helps no one. No push to attend a meaningless, impotent temple ceremony. No more toxic perfectionism.

Yeah, I guess you could say when asked, "Where will you go?" You could just say, "Away.......away from all of the insanity." :!:
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:08 am

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:57 pm
I would say I'm already there; on a journey of discovery instead of going around and around in the same circle. I would tell him that a wise man once said, "if you still believe the same things at fifty that you believed at twenty-five, you've wasted twenty-five years."
Love that quote and have used it myself.

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:02 am

Where will I go?

Out into the world. As Jesus commanded.

What will I do?

Visit the the friendless. Sup with the sinners. As Jesus commanded.

What will you do with the Lord's money if you aren't paying tithing?

I will feed the hungry, and cloth the naked. As Jesus commanded.

Unfortunately Bishop. I can't find a single instance in the scriptures where Jesus said to go to Church. I can't find a single instance where he said to listen to church leaders, nor can I find a single instance where he commanded me to give my money to the church either. I am glad that following the prophet works for you. As for me and my house, we will follow Jesus.

-lost

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:25 am

Where will you go? What will you do?

Brunch with friends.
The lake with the kids.
The barn with my horses.
Visit the many various locations of the Church of the Great Blue Dome in my region.
Sleep in after a long week.
Work on projects around the house.
Help friends with projects at their houses.
Various community events, both as a participant and as staff to help make the event happen.

Really, I have no problem filling the time that was taken up by church.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:09 am

Cnsl1 wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:08 am
Hagoth wrote:
I thought it was Alan Watts, but when I tried to look it up I saw that it was attributed to Mark Twain AND Voltaire, so probably just some guy. Most likely wtfluff.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:10 pm

stuck wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:44 pm
How would you guys and gals answer that sort of question?
If someone from my family actually asked me that question, I would make them define to me in very specific terms what they meant. Are they asking what "religion" I will embrace? Folks in my family are in a thick enough bubble that they've never entertained the thought that they could do anything else on a Sunday than sit in meetings and be bored out of their minds. Realizing that there are plenty of humans on the planet who do just fine without any religion or chasing invisible toga-wearing sky-beings is a thought that just might cause a complete brain-fart.

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:09 am
Cnsl1 wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:08 am
Hagoth wrote:
I thought it was Alan Watts, but when I tried to look it up I saw that it was attributed to Mark Twain AND Voltaire, so probably just some guy. Most likely wtfluff.
By-golly I wish I were that smart.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:30 pm

Why do I have to go anywhere at all?

But yes, anywhere I want including a comfy chair in my home.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:26 pm

dogbite wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:30 pm
Why do I have to go anywhere at all?

But yes, anywhere I want including a comfy chair in my home.
Perfect.

Q: Where will you go???
A: My Couch.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:15 pm

Q: Where will you go?
A: None of your damn business!