So... my friend was just promoted to General Authority

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

So... my friend was just promoted to General Authority

Post by Hagoth » Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:56 pm

Kimo Esplin. He was called to sit up on the stand in afternoon conference. He's was the thoughtful bishop, and later stake president, who gave me temple recommends when I couldn't answer the questions correctly, and taught me how to internally nuance the questions. Great guy. I hope he makes it to the top intact, rather than beaten down and remade in their image. He has been fast-tracked to the top so fast it would make your head spin: bishop > stake president > mission president > 12th quorum > 1st quorum in less time than others spend in a stake president calling.

We have lunch from time to time. I wonder if those days are over. When I heard the news I texted him "condolences."
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Red Ryder

Re: So... my friend was just promoted to General Authority

Post by Red Ryder » Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:29 pm

Does he get paid at that level?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:04 pm

Fingers crossed the next generation will be coming in with a whole different perspective than the current leadership

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:13 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:29 pm
Does he get paid at that level?
I'm sure he does but I don't know if he'd be allowed talk about that. I've been meaning to go to lunch with him. I wonder if he'll be too busy/important now.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:26 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:56 pm
... When I heard the news I texted him "condolences."
How as this teaching received?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:35 am

wtfluff wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:26 pm
Hagoth wrote:
... When I heard the news I texted him "condolences."
How as this teaching received?
With appreciation and a lunch invitation before they ship him off to "the far corner of the world."

We have had good discussions before about the POX and Book of Abraham problems. I need to pick a good topic while I can. The SEC? How the church destroys families, rather than making them eternal? His Second Anointing? I really want to pick up a conversation we started about spirituality (sorry Fluff), how the church doesn't own it, but manipulates members to believe it comes from obedience to the church. I also would really like to talk to him about, you guessed it, psychedelics, since I actually got him to read Michael Pollan's book and he encouraged me to pursue certification as a therapist in that field.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:44 am

Does your friend have a white ceramic bowl and pitcher on display in their home?
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:15 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:44 am
Does your friend have a white ceramic bowl and pitcher on display in their home?
I haven't been inside his house since I learned about the sacred artifacts. He doesn't seem like the type to put them on display anyway.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:29 am

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:15 am
Just This Guy wrote:
I haven't been inside his house since I learned about the sacred artifacts. He doesn't seem like the type to put them on display anyway.

The ones I have seen (in use at the time) were a nice quality stainless steel. Totally weird experience.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:05 pm

Our neighbor just came over and told us that her son has been exalted into the 12th quorum and gets to be in the presence of apostles and everything. She told us it is a very difficult and important calling because the church is growing so fast. My tongue is still sore from biting so hard.

She did explain something that helped me make sense of how the quorums work. Quorums 1 & 2 are General Authorities who oversee large areas. The other ten are local regional reps. Her son oversees about 20 stakes here in Utah. The reason my friend jumped from the 12th quorum all the way to the 2nd is because quorums 3 through 12 are all on the same level. Their numbers represent geographic regions, rather than hierarchical order, so the next promotion from any of them would be to the 2nd quorum.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:44 pm

So 2 levels above a Stake President?

Is this the hierarchy (no mission stuff)?

Deacons President
Teachers President
Priest Quorum 1st Councilor (Bishop is President)
EQ President
Bishop
Stake President
Quorum of Seventy 3-12
Quorum of Seventy 1-2
Quorum of12 apostles
First Presidency
Prophet
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Wonderment

Post by Wonderment » Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:49 am

Hagoth wrote:
Kimo Esplin. He was called to sit up on the stand in afternoon conference. He's was the thoughtful bishop, and later stake president, who gave me temple recommends when I couldn't answer the questions correctly, and taught me how to internally nuance the questions. Great guy. I hope he makes it to the top intact, rather than beaten down and remade in their image. He has been fast-tracked to the top so fast it would make your head spin: bishop > stake president > mission president > 12th quorum > 1st quorum in less time than others spend in a stake president calling.

We have lunch from time to time. I wonder if those days are over. When I heard the news I texted him "condolences."
That's amazing. I wonder what it means in terms of theology. I used to think that Uchtdorf was "the token liberal." Maybe now, they've decided to have two token liberals, so that less active members can relate to a G.A. who seems more relevant. Please keep us posted as to what happens. Hope you will be able to meet up with him and continue to have conversations. -- Wndr.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:25 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:44 pm

Deacons President
Teachers President
Priest Quorum 1st Councilor (Bishop is President)
EQ President
Bishop
Stake President
Quorum of Seventy 3-12
Quorum of Seventy 1-2
Quorum of12 apostles
First Presidency
Prophet
With the following post-mortal additions (although I am a bit fuzzy on the chronological order):

Spirit World General Authority
First Man (e.g. Adam)
Disembodied Creator God (e.g. Jehovah)
Savior and Redeemer (e.g. Jesus of Nazareth)
Resurrected superhero & sidekick (e.g. Jesus in America, the Sacred Grove, toast, etc.)
Resurrected Polygamist Ubergod (e.g. Elohim)

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:40 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:44 pm

Oops. Yes, he was a mission president, then 12 quorum. I think that's a necessary stepping stone.

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:50 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Just This Guy wrote:
I haven't been inside his house since I learned about the sacred artifacts.
What is the significance of these objects? Do they trump the sacred goat leggings?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Flaming Meaux

Post by Flaming Meaux » Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:59 am

moksha wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:50 pm
Hagoth wrote:
Just This Guy wrote:
What is the significance of these objects? Do they trump the sacred goat leggings?
I'm guessing it would be a way to subtly (or not so subtly) display that you've had the 2nd Anointing (these would be the items used for the ceremony where the wife washes the husband's feet at home).
"The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." -- Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:56 am

Flaming Meaux wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:59 am
I'm guessing it would be a way to subtly (or not so subtly) display that you've had the 2nd Anointing (these would be the items used for the ceremony where the wife washes the husband's feet at home).
So it is part of that church within a church practice. Sounds like this second church is more common than I realized.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

alas

Post by alas » Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:30 am

Flaming Meaux wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:59 am
moksha wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:50 pm
Hagoth wrote:

And if you understand the symbolism, by washing her husband’s feet, she is officially volunteering to be made his servant for eternity. Yuck, no thanks.