Alcohol?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.

Alcohol?

Yes?
65%
No?
35%

Total votes: 26

moksha

Re: Alcohol?

Post by moksha » Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:32 pm

alas wrote:Second reason, it is nasty. I do not like the burn, I do not like the taste, so even all sugared up in mixed drinks, it is just nasty.
Kahlua and cream reminds me of a delicious candy, however, it is not as satisfying as Vietnamese iced coffee.

Prune juice on the other hand is a warrior's drink!
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Flaming Meaux

Post by Flaming Meaux » Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:03 am

I enjoy a nice glass of wine occasionally now--probably a couple times a month. After having the stereotypical Mormon sweet tooth and spending way too much of my life drinking soda, it did take a bit for me to actually enjoy wine and appreciate the different flavor profiles where everything isn't just sweet. During COVID a local retailer was doing 'virtual' wine and cheese pairings where you'd pick up the supplies and then tune in over zoom to hear about the different regions where the wine or cheese were produced, what the history of the craft was in that area, etc. Was nice to start out with someone offering 'good' pairings before I figured out what my own preferences were.

When I first started experimenting with alcohol it was a bunch of sweet cocktails (because everything tasted terrible that wasn't accompanied with something super sweet)--but I've found that with wine I can more reliably regulate the feeling I'm going for (slight warm relaxing buzz) than with other beverages, so I rarely make cocktails anymore.

I was out of the church for a good solid decade before my wife even got comfortable with the idea of me having any alcohol at all, but now she likes the side effects of it. I've got a stressful job and often wear a bit of that stress around, and a couple glasses of wine really mellows that out on the weekend and makes me more 'enjoyable.' Her word.
"The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." -- Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Angel

Post by Angel » Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:46 pm

No. It's not healthy, I like to be in full control of my mind.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lithium Sunset

Post by Lithium Sunset » Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:06 am

I have a gluten allergy, so no to beer. I hate the taste of wine, and I’m not willing to overcome that.

I do like vodka & tequila and getting to the point I find everything thoroughly amusing. There are certain things I will only say when I‘ve had enough alcohol in me, haha. However, I do not like being sick, so I don’t push it.

I used to have about one drink a week (for a year or two?), but now it’s maybe twice a month. I do think of my health too, so less is better.

My heart goes out to those affected by alcoholism.
"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." -Laura Ingalls Wilder