Alcohol?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.

Alcohol?

Yes?
65%
No?
35%

Total votes: 26

Red Ryder

Alcohol?

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:08 pm

What say ye?

Do you partake?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Ghost

Re: Alcohol?

Post by Ghost » Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:34 am

Haven't yet tried it in any form and I'm actually not really curious about it. The psychedelics that Hagoth talks about, on the other hand, do interest me. Too bad the legality of the two is not reversed.

Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait » Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:38 am

Pretty much drank my entire life apart for missionary years, a few before and a few afterwards. Never heavy, but from time to time. A beer here or there, occasional glass of wine, some whiskey from time to time, but rarely.

Although I enjoy it, I think that alcohol is a good one to stay away from, and those who never try it are the wiser for it.
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell

alas

Post by alas » Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:57 am

No, for several reasons. One, I am diabetic, and alcohol metabolizes worse than sugar, so the things on the no-no list are in this order, alcohol, sugar, carbs. Second reason, it is nasty. I do not like the burn, I do not like the taste, so even all sugared up in mixed drinks, it is just nasty. Third, before diabetes, I tried it and I don’t get a buzz with two or three drinks, just nothing and I have zero desire to be drunk or under the influence, so why? So, I get all kinds of empty calories, that tastes like piss, or so are just so sweet and still nasty, and it doesn’t make me feel a thing, not relaxed, not happy, just nothing. So, why waste good money on that crap?

Nope, give me chocolate any day.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:58 am

Alcohol is an interesting molecule for society; hard to say how history might have unfolded differently without it.

I found my use of alcohol is way down since I got my medical cannabis card. We were not heavy drinkers before, like 1-2 hard drinks per month, 1-2 glasses of wine or beers per week, but now it's about half that. We have more fun collecting the pretty glass bottles than we do drinking it. We love the social part of having a few drinks with the kids or friends. I will sometimes have a shot of some strong liquors or a high point beer if I want to get really hazy for a couple hours. I find alcohol pairs up well with cannabis and micro doses of magic fungus.

Since leaving the church and getting more into alcohol, I knew that my bio dad was an alcoholic, so it's helped me navigate the boozy landscape with some caution.

Overall I avoid large quantities of alcohol in my latter years; I just don't like the consequences of feeling tired and hungover and the abuse of my liver. I don't have to deal with those side effects when I lean on the cannabis and fungus.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

stuck

Post by stuck » Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:44 am

I have only tried non-alcoholic beer thus far. It gave me a little brain fog which I didn't like. I think I would like to experiment a bit more but am aware of the dangers and don't want to get cancer or become an alcoholic. Besides, I don't think my wife would approve. Her grandfather became an alcoholic after he came back from WWII. Anyway, I recently tried 5htp for mild anxiety/depression. I actually felt buzzed afterwards and imagine that that is what it felt like to be drunk. The last time I tried it though it just made me tired all day as I took it in the morning.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:28 pm

mildbarley.jpg
mildbarley.jpg (51.9 KiB) Viewed 3230 times
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:11 pm

I drink like 10 cocktails a year while out with friends. Pretty sure my sweet tooth is a much bigger health risk for me.

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:55 pm

Although I'd tasted alcohol as a kid, I never drank in HS or college, and only started drinking about 10 years ago and after my faith changed.

I like some beers very much. I wanted to like wine but I've found very few that I like, and it's hard to remember all the brands and varieties. Hard alcohol is fun at times, so long as there is no gin involved. I've never met a gin I liked, and yes if you're thinking I just haven't tried the GOOD gin, save your breath, cuz yes I have. It's toxic imo. Vodka mixes well with stuff, and can be refreshing with some club soda and lime. Whisky, ouch. Tequila, I like in margaritas but if you must try a shot of it, spend the extra money and get the good stuff. Taste the cactus before you throw up on it.

When I first started drinking, I bought wine coolers and had the sweet drinks. Now I can't stand them too sweet. Too syrupy like soda, which I mostly can't stand. I think one soda is less healthy than one alcoholic drink. That's my opinion based on how they make my body feel.

That being said, too much alcohol is awful for your body. Everyone knows that fact. But people still drink too much. It's fun to feel buzzed, but it's a dangerous high to chase. Alcohol is a drug that can kill you in it and kill you if you stop it. Responsible drinking is paramount.

I like to think I'm a responsible drinker. I've never thrown up while drinking or really felt a hangover. I've been drunk, however, and I think maybe what saves me is that I'm also always drinking a lot of water. It's very easy to go beyond the responsible line, however, and drink more than you intended, more than you can handle. And what if you're now drinking to cope.. to deal with the shit life throws at you. Now you gots a problem.

The last two times I've drank, I couldn't even finish my fav beer. They just didn't taste that great. And when I compare the overall experience of drinking with small doses of edible thc, the gummies win in a landslide. THC is waay better. For me, at least. Your mileage may vary.

Culper Jr.

Post by Culper Jr. » Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:05 pm

I enjoy drinking, especially an old fashioned, but I rarely partake. I don't like to be completely drunk, and drinking comes with a lot of responsibility.

Part of my "negotiated agreement" with my TBM wife when I left was no alcohol in the house. I like to drink with my brothers but that's about it.

Coffee, on the other hand.....

Conman52

Post by Conman52 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:16 pm

I stay away from it because both my parents were alcoholics and abusive under the influence and abusive even when they were not under the influence!! They would get drunk all the time and act like idiots .
By their fruits ye shall know them

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:16 pm

I tried alcohol a few times as a teen. Nothing good ever came from those few times.

My younger brother is alcoholic and I've had to watch what it did to his life. Not a fun movie.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:52 pm

I don't drink that alcohol stuff. I figure 2-3 Mountain Dews a day will keep me out of the Celestial Kingdom.
Sorry to hear about your brother, Pale. I know of alcoholics in my family and I think they may have been trying to cope with depression which runs in my family. My friends who drink are fun to hang out with. They drink responsibly.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:22 pm

If someone puts a beer in my hand while sitting around the campfire I will drink it, and I like a shot of spiced rum in my egg nog. That's about it. I don't enjoy feeling intoxicated.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:30 am

I don't drink alcohol, but I do love this ode to mead...

I knew myself a maiden fair
With emerald eyes and fire-red hair
She owned a tavern by the sea
And served warm drinks of mellow honey

Drink ye merry, drink ye thirsty
Bring thy crew and revel freely
For on one thing we're all agreed,
That Mogo made the finest mead

Mogo's mead, Mogo's mead
The only drink we'd ever need
Take a flask and take a seat
And drink thyself a sweety treat!
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Random

Post by Random » Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:23 pm

I do, but not much. I find my weakness is the sugary alcohols, which leave me with anxiety and depression the next day if I have very much (the unflavored/unsweetened ones are usually quite nasty). I think it's more the sugar than the alcohol. At this point, I've severely limited alcohol intake for my health's sake, not for any moral code.

I have zero hesitation drinking wine instead of water for the sacrament.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Keewon

Post by Keewon » Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:01 pm

alas wrote:Second reason, it is nasty. I do not like the burn, I do not like the taste, so even all sugared up in mixed drinks, it is just nasty.
This reminds me of something my dad would say: "It's a good thing I hate alcohol, because if I liked it I'd drink it, and I sure hate it!"

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:04 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:58 am
I found my use of alcohol is way down since I got my medical cannabis card. We were not heavy drinkers before, like 1-2 hard drinks per month, 1-2 glasses of wine or beers per week, but now it's about half that...
Same here. I enjoy an occasional cocktail now and then or a glass (or ten :lol: ) of sangria, but that's about it. I've never gotten drunk and had a hangover.

As for cannabis? I use it every day and enjoy it more than alcohol. I've had a medical card here in Utah since the registry opened. According to my PCP, the benefits and improvements for me health-wise have been measurable, so I'm all about cannabis. Dry herb vaping and carts are my go-to's. Edibles are not effective for me and don't gel with my system very well. Topicals on my wrists and hands provide for some relief when I can't do the other. By far the biggest benefit for me has been the stress reduction. It's huge.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:40 am

I drink occasionally. The average month, I will have enough drinks that you can count them on one hand with fingers left over.

For me it's mostly cocktails and ciders. Occasionally a craft beer. However, lately DW and I have been experimenting with Baileys in coffee or cocoa. There is also a Strawberry flavored Bailey's that goes real nice with a strawberry milkshake.

Considering as a TMB, i thought alcohol would turn a person into a nearly 24/7 drunk like the fratboys I saw a lot in college, I am surprised by my reality being nearly the complete opposite.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:28 am

Hermey wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:04 pm
As for cannabis? I use it every day and enjoy it more than alcohol. I've had a medical card here in Utah since the registry opened. According to my PCP, the benefits and improvements for me health-wise have been measurable, so I'm all about cannabis. Dry herb vaping and carts are my go-to's. Edibles are not effective for me and don't gel with my system very well. Topicals on my wrists and hands provide for some relief when I can't do the other. By far the biggest benefit for me has been the stress reduction. It's huge.
Awesome Hermey! Same for me and DW; I've had an active medical card now since they made them available. We use all the cannabis products available here in UT: tinctures, resins, badders, rosins, capsules, pens, dry herb vape, topicals, it's just part of daily life now. I'm not a big fan of the gummies, but they do have their place for me as a longer lasting more body pain reliever (like working out in the yard or hiking). I actually quit buying edibles and switched to concentrated tinctures and RSO capsules, usually in the 15mg to 40mg range. I've been getting the most significant pain relief from the newer full-spectrum products with a combination of CBD, CBG and THC, usually in a 1:1:1 to 10:1:1 ration mixture. It's nice to be able to dial in the dose and combination of cannabinoids and terpenes to fit the needs. I take a microdose of magic fungus (~100mg) and lion's mane every day to counteract the THC brain fog, works quite well for me.

I love how easy and relatively safe it is to get some nice crossfades with the alcohol, thc and fungus, provides a big variety of interesting experiences. This past weekend I made up a new drink called a Papa Smurf Fun Guy Gin Shot. Just added pinch of dried ground magic fungus to a shot glass of gin and it turned it a beautiful cobalt blue after about 5-10 minutes. Shoot it dirty with all the fungus crumbs or strain it out; I prefer dirty to get all the magic. Color will vary, based on the strain of the fun guy, penis envy is the one I used. I tried another pinch of fun guys in a shot of Patron Gold, but that one turned green; I should have used Patron Silver. I love a good tequila, a shot or two of that is like a muscle relaxer for me.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE