Mormons are disinterested in spirituality

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Gatorbait

Re: Mormons are disinterested in spirituality

Post by Gatorbait » Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:59 pm

Wow, great post. Loved everyone's thoughts on this one.

For me, spirituality is something that either you have, or you don't. Can't fake it, yet I cannot say that I understand it. It is more of a presence or a feeling that you get that sometimes brings you to tears when you feel someone's love for you and for others. If spirituality exists for any other reason than to expand love, then I think it is more of a person's ego than reality. And it has no value. I like the way the way Zora Hurston describes love and feelings of love in her novel, "Their eyes were watching God":

“Love is lak da sea. It's a movin' thing, but still and all, it takes its shape from the shore it meets, and it's different with every shore.” When I read that, I felt, as others have, that this one statement was so powerful that she needed to write a novel to be able to properly share it with mankind. I feel like something in her, bigger than her, helped her find the proper way to do it and she did it beautifully.

To me, each one of us has a spark and the ability to love and feel love, and it is our job to find it and expand on it. Others will feel your love if you are sincere, you don't even need to tell them. There's no "spirituality" beyond genuine love- but I feel it is true, love is a movin' thing and it does take its shape from the shore it meets- each of us.
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell