Comparing public statements the church has made with ChatGPT

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

Comparing public statements the church has made with ChatGPT

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:58 am

Sorry for my ChatGPT infusion to NOM lately but I’ve been having a bit of fun asking it questions. I noticed it quotes a few statements put out by the church when asked about the SEC investigation and subsequently asked about real estate holdings. It picked up a few that contradict themselves.

When discussing the SEC charges:

It's worth noting that the LDS Church has stated that the purpose of its investment activities is to support its religious and charitable activities, rather than to generate profits. In a statement regarding the SEC charges, the church stated that it "has never used or relied on funds from EPA for any commercial or business purpose," and that the funds were used "consistent with the church's religious, educational, and charitable purposes, as well as to build and maintain temples and other buildings and facilities."
And then when discussing City Creek Mall:

In a statement regarding the development of the mall, the LDS Church stated that the project was "part of a long-term strategy to safeguard the Church's resources and enhance downtown Salt Lake City." The church also stated that the project would "contribute to the economic revitalization of the area," and that the mall's retail offerings would provide "diverse and high-quality shopping experiences" for visitors.

It's worth noting that the LDS Church has stated that the funds used for the development of the City Creek Center mall came from its investment reserves, not from tithing or other donations made by church members. The church has also stated that the development of the mall was not intended to generate profits, but rather to contribute to the overall economic development of the area.
Now to be fair, ChatGPT could be misquoting the church but I have a feeling the church likes to talk out of both sides of its mouth. 😂
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

stuck

Re: Comparing public statements the church has made with ChatGPT

Post by stuck » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:15 pm

That is a good catch RR!

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:19 pm

The church has also stated that the development of the mall was not intended to generate profits, but rather to contribute to the overall economic development of the area.
"But if it just happens to generate massive profits, we will use those to help the poor and oppressed, and to further develop the downtown area by providing clean, affordable housing and free health services." said no one from the church.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:30 pm

“And the Lord called his people Zion, because they were of one heart and one mind, and dwelt in righteousness; and there was no poor among them” (Moses 7:18;
The people can call themselves "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" or "Zion," or "the only true and living Church" speaking "collectively" or "individually" or whatever. (See D&C 1:30)
People call themselves whatever they like. :shock:
But I read this to say that the Lord won't call them "Zion" until "there are no poor among them."
I think even a ChatGPT can see why. :D
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.