1m settlements are not a pattern changer for TSCC

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
RubinHighlander

1m settlements are not a pattern changer for TSCC

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed May 03, 2023 9:38 am

https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-new ... v2-NZ5A6YD
$2.3B awarded in sex abuse lawsuit that named LDS Church
How the hell does a 2.3B award get pared down to 1M? This level of payout is not enough to change the behavioral patterns of this corrupt corporation. Its akin to the SEC fine on the tax evasion, not even a slap on the hand. TSCC really needs a hard slap in the face! Perhaps if they had been required to pay out the 2.3B, they might make some big changes. All we can hope for is that the continued media attention keeps the pressure on.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

jfro18

Re: 1m settlements are not a pattern changer for TSCC

Post by jfro18 » Wed May 03, 2023 9:43 am

From what I understand the 1m settlement was made *before* the 2.3b lawsuit - so the church itself settled out of the lawsuit and then the big judgment came down which will never be paid anyway (since the people dont have the money).

Smart settlement by Jesus Christ right there.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed May 03, 2023 9:56 am

RubinHighlander wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 9:38 am
How the hell does a 2.3B award get pared down to 1M?
Because it's a church.

"...the victim repeatedly told bishops about the abuse, but they failed to report it to law enforcement."

Wanna make a wild guess about who they did report it to?

What did Dallin say? "We neither offer nor accept apologies, just money."
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed May 03, 2023 11:46 pm

I’m assuming someone in the first presidency signs off on these settlements.

Let’s pay the person to go away!!

One Milly should do it, right Dallin?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Fri May 05, 2023 10:33 am

Riverside woman awarded $2.3 billion in sex abuse case - Los Angeles Times
www.latimes.com
"During the time she was abused, Doe disclosed the abuse to multiple members of the Mormon church, including a bishop. Instead of notifying the police, the bishop gathered Doe, her mother and her stepfather into a joint meeting, speaking about repentance and instructing Doe to forgive her stepfather.
Doe then told another bishop about the abuse, but said that she was shamed into silence by the other bishop and other counselors, who said she would go to prison and harm her family by disclosing the crime."
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Fri May 05, 2023 12:46 pm

https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... mon-church
https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/23b ... h-98916403

I will say that the headline is rather misleading. It infers that it is $2.3B against the church when that is not the case, unfortunately.

According to this article, the judgement is as following:

$1,000,000 - LDS Inc.
$200,000 - Victim's mother
$2,278,800,000 - Victim's stepfather

Unless this step father is super rich, not only will this person never be able to pay that amount, it could be argued that the judgment is unreasonable and could be thrown out.

This is interesting that this is one of the few times where the amount of the LDSinc. settlement is disclosed. Normally they make the victim sign DNA's stating they cannot talk about the amount as part of the settlement.
Last edited by Just This Guy on Sat May 06, 2023 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Keewon

Post by Keewon » Fri May 05, 2023 2:29 pm

Not knowing more about the story than I do- what I know is just what I've learned here on NOM- unless the victim has some kind of benefactor with extremely deep pockets, there's no way she could afford the costs of trial. The church most definitely wouldn't want the bad publicity of a trial, but at the end of the day it almost certainly wouldn't harm them all that much. In this earthly version of the telestial kingdom, this seems almost the best possible outcome for this victim. I hope she finds some measure of peace and healing, and that her story encourages other victims to realize they aren't alone and come forward. And that it makes permanent changes to the way TSCC deals with its horrible abuses.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Mon May 15, 2023 7:04 pm

I wonder which funds were used to pay the $5 Million fine? Perhaps funds from one of the shell companies?
~2bizE

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue May 16, 2023 4:59 am

I think the 2.3 billion award was just a warning shot that many courts are unhappy with the Church's general dishonesty and willingness to defend predators. Best to limit heinous crimes to the Church's sphere of influence where they can control judges and juries.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Fri May 19, 2023 5:35 am

Ahh! This is why the church needs the rainy day fund.