60 Minutes this week: LDS & SEC

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
moksha

Re: 60 Minutes this week: LDS & SEC

Post by moksha » Thu May 18, 2023 6:14 am

The First Presidency has been in on this fraudulent money-hiding scheme for 26 years, but when did the Quorum of the Twelve first learn about it?

Since this is in Utah, I doubt President Oaks is in any danger of losing his law license. When you control a State you are pretty much immune from any regulatory problems.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Keewon

Post by Keewon » Fri May 19, 2023 7:39 pm

Just This Guy wrote:LDS Manager: Well we don't feel it is being secret, it is confidential.
IOW it's sacred, not secret.

I'm not hopeful that the church will be held accountable. I felt that way in 2016 after ... (mumble) ... some political events or other. I thought people would wake up and see. The outcome was just the opposite of what I had thought.

1950-ish vintage original "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" is still one of my favorite movies. Or most frightening. I can't decide.

Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait » Fri May 26, 2023 8:18 am

2bizE wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 7:00 pm
I would like to bear my testimony that the church is true. The leaders of the church know the covenant path. I wish to follow my loving leaders. To do so, I set up 13 shell companies to pay my tithing through. This is the way. I also have learned from my leaders how to evade paying taxes, which allows me to pay more in tithing to the church. I am working on protecting sexual predators from the law and punishment. That is the sure sign of truth. Have I ever told you the story of when I was in a spiral death dive in a small airplane where the right engine suddenly burst into flames spewing fiery oil but miraculously landed safely in a farmer’s field? Yes, it’s true and a lady in a red hat was sitting next to me….
This is great. Thanks for this. Love it.

My thoughts on this whole turd hunt as to how the "rainy day" fund is going to be used and the like is really a kick in the pants. Never know when you are going to need an extra 100 to 150 billion dollars for them rainy days....except- wow- we have prob-lem-os all over the world right now. How about a few bucks now for things right under your noses? Can you say homelessness? I knew you could. How about an organized shelter for all the folks in Salt Lake that have nothing? I know, this has been yacked about a lot. I'll have to say though that the classic "rainy day" fund need is when Jesus comes riding down on his horse with his purple robe and all- He's gonna really need some green then, and stocks, hell, what would he do without bonds? And he is going to need a lot of malls and the like for sure. And money to shop. Right? Can you imagine the collective groan from the brothers, oops, um, "brethren" when that bozo on 60 minutes spewed that nonsense about the fund being set aside for the second coming? Good grief. That's a beauty. Laughed my ass off when he said that.
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Fri May 26, 2023 8:30 am

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/18/tech/elo ... index.html

A bit over a ago, the UN came up with a proposed program that estimated that they could end world hunger for about $7B a year. LDS inc has the resources to set up an endowment that could fully fund such a program for perpetuity. The Mormon church could be responsible for ending hunger and saving millions of lives across the globe.

Jesus had this thing about you have to feed the body before the soul could be fed. Hence the little thing about feeding 5,000 with a few loaves of bread and some fishes. So they have the perfect to follow the person they claim to be their god and save millions of people.

Yeah, talk about wasted opportunity.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri May 26, 2023 8:35 am

Gatorbait wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 8:18 am
How about an organized shelter for all the folks in Salt Lake that have nothing?
With just the slightest hint of inspiration and foresight, these guys could do something that would actually make them the ensign to the world that they have always claimed to be. They could completely end homelessness in their state. They could save entire African nations from hunger, they could eradicate a major disease, they could provide university access to every kid in America who can't afford it. But no, they choose, through fraud and deception, to be the stingiest mizers on the planet. A sputtering light so dim it can be covered by a single sacrament cup.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri May 26, 2023 8:36 am

Hagoth wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 8:35 am
Gatorbait wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 8:18 am
How about an organized shelter for all the folks in Salt Lake that have nothing?
With just the slightest hint of inspiration and foresight, these guys could do something that would actually make them the ensign to the world that they have always claimed to be. They could completely end homelessness in their state. They could save entire African nations from hunger*, they could eradicate a major disease, they could provide university access to every kid in America who can't afford it. But no, they choose, through fraud and deception, to be the stingiest mizers on the planet. A sputtering light so dim it can be covered by a single sacrament cup.
*ETA: What Just This Guy ^ said!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Angel

Post by Angel » Sat May 27, 2023 5:29 am

When talking with religious people, have to use their language - use scriptures.

They will throw their silver into the streets, and their gold will be an unclean thing. Their silver and gold will not be able to save them in the day of the LORD's wrath. They will not satisfy their hunger or fill their stomachs with it, for it has made them stumble into sin.
Ezekiel 7

According to scriptures, it will be like the great depression - inflation - money becomes completely worthless.

New:
Do you strive to be honest in all that you do?

Old
Are you honest in your dealings with your fellowmen?

Great and spacious buildings.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat May 27, 2023 6:59 pm

Keewon wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 7:39 pm
1950-ish vintage original "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" is still one of my favorite movies. Or most frightening. I can't decide.
So you think the top guys may have been replaced by pods from Outerspace about the time of that horrendous Proclamation on the Family and with the wisdom of alien invaders began doing everything in secret in order to advance their grand deception?

When asked why they left, former members could reply, "We seek for a place where people can be open and honest."

LDS Church and Charity explained...

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/KSmK7xPOHY8
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha