NeverMo friend and eternal families

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

NeverMo friend and eternal families

Post by Hagoth » Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:21 am

"I know the Mormon church does a lot of good for a lot of people, but what I hate about it is how it destroys families."

Comment from one of my closest friends, a neverMo who had a front row seat to his daughter falling head-over-heels into Mormonism and becoming the kind of scrupulous member that General Authorities give talks about. She married in the temple, had a baby under the covenant... and then lost her testimony.

Now she's saying she won't let their child get baptized (still more than 7 years away). Her husband is entrenching and people from both families are lining up along battle lines.

I guess he's looking to me for advice, but all I can do is agree that the Church of Eternal Families is a meatgrinder for people who morph out of perfect puzzle piece shape.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

RubinHighlander

Re: NeverMo friend and eternal families

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:36 am

I don't like that he has this false impression of the church "I know the Mormon church does a lot of good for a lot of people.."
But at least he recognizes the family wars that TSCC creates with their dogma and rules.
The worst is the kid caught in the middle of this mess.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

stuck

Post by stuck » Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:33 pm

We just went to the open house of a new temple in Utah. Afterwards my wife said with emotion that her favorite part was sitting as a family in the celestial room because she is hoping that that will be like us in heaven after we die. Boy the church has a strong hold on members and families about this right? If there is a heaven then why would the God of the universe require everyone to go through the temple? The mormon church only comprises about .002 percent of the population of the earth. And that's if all 16 million are active which we know they aren't--maybe just a third. So that would bring it down to about .00066 percent of the current population of 8 billion right?

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:44 pm

stuck wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:33 pm
We just went to the open house of a new temple in Utah. Afterwards my wife said with emotion that her favorite part was sitting as a family in the celestial room because she is hoping that that will be like us in heaven after we die. Boy the church has a strong hold on members and families about this right? If there is a heaven then why would the God of the universe require everyone to go through the temple? The mormon church only comprises about .002 percent of the population of the earth. And that's if all 16 million are active which we know they aren't--maybe just a third. So that would bring it down to about .00066 percent of the current population of 8 billion right?
There are probably only 100 billion or so spirits of former earth dwellers that you have to do the work for to get it all patched up. Get busy!

The idea of the eternal family is particularly appealing when you have cute little kids at home. It sounds like an eternal picnic. But what if your children really were sealed to you in a nuclear family for eternity? Can you imagine a household of grumpy million-year old god-beings still watching Spongebob and playing checkers for the next trillion years, unable be with their own spouses and kids? And what about the eternal families of your parents and your wife's? How did they get ripped off so that you got your eternal family but they lost theirs?

For the best answer to these and other questions, please refer to Linked's earlier thread: https://newordermormon.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6567
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait » Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:55 pm

Interesting post.

When the church- any church- destroys families, then it is going against every teaching of Christ himself.

It's interesting how people think that their own sweet little fams are going to be gathered around mother's knee and all things will be lovely some time. Yet, that make no sense at all. Those kiddies have claim to their own kiddies and kingdoms and on and on.

The only "union" that makes any sense is between two human persons who are not related. In the church, of course it is man and wife. There's no "chain" to break. All that "together forever" is rubbish. Makes zero sense.
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell