A positive thing about Utah

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
moksha

A positive thing about Utah

Post by moksha » Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:51 am

One very positive thing about Utah is its scones. Utah scones are different from the rest of the scones. The Brits are forever embroiled with Americans as to what is a scone and what is a biscuit, but Mormons bypass all of that with a sweet version of Navajo fry bread.

The Navajos made their fry bread savory and frequently in the form of tacos, but Mormons with their hankering for sweets turned this savory item into a sweet breakfast treat and called it Utah Scones. This is an item that truly deserved to be celebrated.

https://www.chelseasmessyapron.com/utah-scones/

One place you can always find Utah scones it at the appropriately named, Chuck-A-Rama.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Palerider

Re: A positive thing about Utah

Post by Palerider » Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:11 pm

When I go on the "Rez" (reservation) or to the Powwows, I see fry bread done in both a savory and a sweet configuration. My mother, who was not raised Mormon was taught by my grandmother to make the sweet scones from when she was a child. Love both versions.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:42 am

So the Native Americans/Indians originated these? What kind of flour do they use?
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

alas

Post by alas » Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:56 am

deacon blues wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:42 am
So the Native Americans/Indians originated these? What kind of flour do they use?
Doubtful that they were “invented” by American Natives, as they are made with refined white flour. More like they were adopted by Natives as easier to use white flour than grinding corn themselves. They are just bread dough rolled thin, then deep fried, so they were probably made in Europe as far back as white flour existed. But Native Americans had been frying corn tortillas (similar in many Native populations even if they were not called tortillas” in the native language) in fat for generations, so a switch from corn flour to refined white flour was easy. So, like Americans would not recognize spaghetti if they came across its origins as oriental noodles, but they adopted it and loved it. Did Navaho Fry Bread originate with the Navaho? Did Spaghetti originate with the Italians?

I saw a demonstration of the original Navaho Fry Bread, where the woman ground the corn on a stone grinder, chewing some of it to make it sweet (saliva turns the corn starch to sugar), then adding water and patting it out, then deep frying it in animal fat. We got a chance to try her fry bread, but my children all kind of gagged on her method of sweetening it and refused.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:19 pm

alas wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:56 am
deacon blues wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:42 am
Doubtful that they were “invented” by American Natives, as they are made with refined white flour.
Alas is correct here. Here's a little history (sad) if anyone is interested.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/637 ... al-history
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:11 pm

This is the type of scone that I was raised on. I still love the occasional one with a drizzle of honey butter.

This has caused me a lot of confusion since I moved to the east coast and here they have the traditional British style scones. I have to make my own.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:52 am

Yeah, the history of fried bread items can easily be traced to India and the Middle East. We know such stuff has been around since the Iron Age. Heck, there could have been a variation before the first wave of hominids left Africa.

None of that detracts from Utah scones with maple syrup, powdered sugar, honey butter, or jam. As they say in Utah, "That's for durn tootin' and I'm not just whistling Helen Marr Kimball."
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

alas

Post by alas » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:51 am

The restaurants that make good scones are getting few and far between. We go to them above any other, and have seen several go out of business or stop doing scones. And the ones at Puke a Rama are too thick. They use bread dough that is an inch or more thick, and then don’t let it rise enough, so you have heavy doughy biscuits that are deep fried. Need to roll the dough to 1/2 inch, then wait 20 minutes or so, then drop them in about 1 inch of hot lard. Lard makes them better. But, OK, I don’t have it in the house any more, so I am no longer a purest. I use olive oil as it is the only oil I use and really, with just two of us I don’t even go through much of that.

If you are being so diet conscious that you worry about the lard, what the blank are you eating them for in the first place. Refined white flour, cooked in oil, then covered in sweet gunk.

I have compromised by having them rarely and just lightly sprinkled with powdered sugar. About how they come served by my local breakfast place.

The easiest way to cook them is get Rhodes frozen white biscuits, thaw, roll to 1/2 inch and fry. With only two of us diabetics at home any longer, cooking more than two at a meal is totally diet blowing. So, the frozen, real yeast bread dough is best because I don’t have a whole two loaves worth of bread to waste. I can pull out what I want and leave the rest frozen.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:09 am

I know someone who swears his grandmother invented Navajo tacos while serving an LDS mission in Arizona. The story goes that the Navajo women ran out of ingredients for their tortillas so, being the great missionary that she was, she fried up some scones for them to use as substitutes. She then went on to invent sliced bread and the transistor.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Culper Jr.

Post by Culper Jr. » Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:29 pm

So on this latest Masterchef episode, a guy from Utah made a Utah style scone. Gordon Ramsey was not impressed.

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:01 pm

My mom, of Scandinavian heritage called them doughgads. In Google, I find only reference to dough gods which seem to be the same thing.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:19 pm

I love my Utah Scone with shaved carrots and parsnips on top.
~2bizE

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:26 pm

Culper Jr. wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:29 pm
So on this latest Masterchef episode, a guy from Utah made a Utah style scone. Gordon Ramsey was not impressed.
And yet Gordon Ramsey will happily wolf down Yorkshire puddings! Granted that some Utah scones are better than others. Perhaps he needs to taste one fried by Alas.
-- Moksha