Just because I _____, doesn’t mean I _____.

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

Just because I _____, doesn’t mean I _____.

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:54 am

Just because I don’t hang pictures of the temple on my walls, doesn’t mean I don’t want to be with my family for eternity.

Just because I don’t pay tithing, doesn’t mean I’m not charitable.

Just because I don’t attend church, doesn’t mean you can’t say hi in the grocery store.

Just because I don’t believe the church is true, doesn’t mean I’m going to hell.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Linked

Re: Just because I _____, doesn’t mean I _____.

Post by Linked » Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:03 am

Just because I drink coffee, doesn't mean I will drink anything.

Just because I don't believe in mormonism, doesn't mean I need someone to step in as a spiritual father for my children.

How about the inverse? I _______, because ________.

I drink coffee because it makes me feel good, is a relatively healthy drink, and is a token of my victory over dogmatic indoctrination.

I don't believe in mormonism because it's claims are false and that is important to me in spite of the social costs.

I don't pay tithing because the requirement to give God 10% of your income is made up. Additionally, the way the church places itself in the position of God is problematic, and what they do with the money does not align with my definition of charity or good.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait » Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:53 am

Just because my choice of sins are different than yours, it doesn't mean that you have the right to pass judgement on me.
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell

Angel

Post by Angel » Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:25 pm

Just because I'm agnostic/athiest/naturalist doesn't mean I don't have Purpse and Meaning in life.

Just because I belive in women's rights /lgbtq rights / equality doesn't mean I hate straight white men.

Just because I work doesn't mean I'm a bad mom.

Happy, healthy, kind, wise, hard-working, honest, charitable - I do my best at all of it.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:06 pm

Just because I have come to my senses in the matter of religion, does not mean I will not be vulnerable to some other scam for the elderly as I grow older. After all, I live in the "fraud capital" of the United States. Besides, it is in my gene pool. Many of my relatives have been taken in by an intergenerational belief scheme based on some far-fetched fantasy story.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:47 pm

Just because I quit going to church for two hours doesn't mean I quit being your neighbor the rest of the time.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:52 am

How about, just because you_______, doesn't mean________.

Just because you are so willing to throw Brigham Young under the buss, doesn't mean that lets Joseph off the hook for anything.

Just because you spend 20 hours a week in the temple doing magic for dead people doesn't mean it's ok to discriminate against living people.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

stuck

Post by stuck » Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:03 pm

Just because I don't believe in God or Jesus anymore, doesn't mean I don't have moral standards.

Just because I don't feel as guilty as I did before when I sin, doesn't mean I don't want to be a better person.

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:09 pm

Just because I am interested in Mormon news and events doesn't mean I still believe even a little or want to do all the Mormon things again.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:42 am

Just because I have food storage, doesn’t mean I think the world is going to end tomorrow.

Just because I don’t equate wonderbread to the body of Christ, doesn’t mean I don’t believe in Jesus. 😂

And here’s more proof that ChatGPT is an apologist.
Just because I don't fully understand the doctrine, doesn't mean I can't seek knowledge and grow in my faith.

Just because I don't have a temple recommend, doesn't mean I can't strive to live a righteous life.

Just because I don't have all the answers about the plan of salvation, doesn't mean I can't trust in God's wisdom and love.

Just because I don't always feel close to Heavenly Father, doesn't mean I am not important to Him.

Just because I don't have a strong testimony yet, doesn't mean I can't develop one through sincere prayer and study.

Just because I don't fully comprehend the Atonement, doesn't mean I can't seek its power and healing in my life.

Just because I don't always understand God's will for me, doesn't mean I can't trust in His perfect timing and guidance.

Just because I don't have a perfect family, doesn't mean I can't strive to create a loving and Christ-centered home.

Just because I don't always feel worthy of God's love, doesn't mean I can't repent and receive His forgiveness.

Just because I don't have all the spiritual gifts, doesn't mean I can't use the ones I have to serve and bless others.
When asked to provide ten more with anti Mormon theme, it says “sorry, I can’t help you with that.”

Then when asked to provide ten more with a nuanced Mormon theme:
Just because I have questions and doubts, doesn't mean I can't find peace and truth within the complexities of Mormonism.

Just because I recognize the flaws and mistakes of past leaders, doesn't mean I can't appreciate the good they have done and learn from their experiences.

Just because I have concerns about certain teachings or practices, doesn't mean I can't engage in respectful dialogue and seek understanding.

Just because I see room for improvement within the Church, doesn't mean I can't actively work towards positive change and be a force for progress.

Just because I embrace personal revelation and agency, doesn't mean I can't respect the guidance and counsel of inspired leaders.

Just because I struggle with the cultural aspects of Mormonism, doesn't mean I can't find authentic ways to express my faith and spirituality.

Just because I don't fit the traditional mold of a "faithful" Mormon, doesn't mean I am any less valued or loved by God or my community.

Just because I appreciate the beauty and truth in other religious traditions, doesn't mean I can't find unique spiritual richness within Mormonism.

Just because I recognize the historical complexities of the Church, doesn't mean I can't find personal meaning and relevance in its teachings and principles.

Just because I acknowledge the diversity of perspectives within Mormonism, doesn't mean I can't find common ground and unity in our shared faith journey.
It does try to be funny.
Just because I can name all the flavors of Jell-O, doesn't mean I'm a Jell-O aficionado.

Just because I can recite all the Articles of Faith, doesn't mean I can win a Church trivia game.

Just because I can navigate the Church building without a map, doesn't mean I can find my way around the grocery store.

Just because I have a year's supply of food storage, doesn't mean I'm prepared for a midnight snack craving.

Just because I can spot a Deseret Book from a mile away, doesn't mean I have superhuman bookstore detection powers.

Just because I know how to execute a perfect Primary handshake, doesn't mean I can negotiate a business deal.

Just because I can do a mean "FHE dance," doesn't mean I'll be invited to compete on "Dancing with the Stars."

Just because I can perform a flawless "ward choir shuffle," doesn't mean I'm qualified to join a professional dance troupe.

Just because I can make funeral potatoes that bring tears to people's eyes, doesn't mean I'm secretly a gourmet chef.

Just because I can sing every verse of "Book of Mormon Stories," doesn't mean I can audition for a Broadway musical.
The more I ask it, the slightest bit of irreverence starts to show:
Just because I wear white clothes in the temple, doesn't mean I'm auditioning for a laundry detergent commercial.

Just because I can fold a perfect square with my temple clothing, doesn't mean I can become a professional origami artist.

Just because I know the exact location of every exit in the temple, doesn't mean I'm a human GPS.

Just because I bring my own bag of tissues to the temple, doesn't mean I'm preparing for an emotional meltdown.

Just because I can tie a secure knot on my temple apron, doesn't mean I'm secretly training to be a sailor.

Just because I can gracefully walk backwards during the veil ceremony, doesn't mean I have a future as a professional moonwalker.

Just because I can flawlessly recite the wording of temple covenants, doesn't mean I have a hidden talent for memorizing legal contracts.

Just because I know the best temple parking spots, doesn't mean I moonlight as a parking lot attendant.

Just because I have a collection of white handkerchiefs for the temple, doesn't mean I'm preparing for a magician's career.

Just because I have a knack for finding the comfiest temple chair, doesn't mean I'm a furniture tester in disguise.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:58 am

I can tweak it enough for more irreverence:
Just because I have a temple recommend, doesn't mean I can gain VIP access to exclusive celestial events.

Just because I've mastered the art of discreetly adjusting my temple robes, doesn't mean I'm destined to become a fashion designer for angels.

Just because I've accidentally mixed up my temple name and my pet's name, doesn't mean my dog is secretly receiving divine blessings.
And the best ones yet!
Just because I have holy garments, doesn't mean I'm secretly training for a spiritual superhero role.

Just because I accidentally wear my garments inside out, doesn't mean I've unlocked a hidden mystical power.

Just because I wear mismatched socks under my garments, doesn't mean I'm embracing a fashion-forward "Divine Disarray" trend.

Just because I struggle to find my temple garments in the dark, doesn't mean I'm participating in a competitive sport called "Nighttime Garment Hunting."

Just because I accidentally wear my spouse's garments, doesn't mean we're engaged in a hilarious game of "Garment Swap Roulette."

Just because I have a secret stash of emergency garments, doesn't mean I'm preparing for an epic laundry apocalypse.

Just because I wear garments with fun patterns, doesn't mean I'm part of a covert "Fashionable Saints" club.

Just because I accidentally tuck my garments into my socks, doesn't mean I'm trying to become the next trendsetter in "Garment-Fusion" style.

Just because I wear garments under my swimwear, doesn't mean I'm auditioning for a role as the "Aquatic Saint" in a Mormon-themed water ballet.

Just because I try to discreetly adjust my garments in public, doesn't mean I'm honing my skills for the "Garment Olympics" where precision and subtlety reign supreme.
Ha ha ha ha!
Just because I have a designated "garment folding dance," doesn't mean I'm secretly training for a Broadway musical titled "The Garment Shuffle."

Just because I accidentally wear my garments to the gym, doesn't mean I'm spearheading the latest fitness trend known as "Saintly Sweat Sessions."

Just because I have a special garment drawer, doesn't mean I'm participating in a top-secret organization called "The Order of Organized Underwear."

Just because I whisper "spiritual affirmations" to my garments, doesn't mean I've unlocked the hidden power of motivational clothing.

Just because I have a collection of garments in different colors, doesn't mean I'm the founder of a new line of "Rainbow Revelation" undergarments.

Just because I have a comical "garment malfunction" story, doesn't mean I'm starring in a sitcom pilot called "The Chronicles of Candid Clothing."

Just because I have a secret garment alteration kit, doesn't mean I'm a part-time undercover tailor for celestial beings.

Just because I wear garments with superhero logos underneath, doesn't mean I'm training to become a real-life "Mormon Avenger."

Just because I accidentally wear my garments inside out and backwards, doesn't mean I'm participating in a mysterious "Garment Geometry Challenge."

Just because I have a collection of humorous garment-related memes, doesn't mean I'm the curator of an online "Garment Humor" museum.