The Black Hole

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Linked

The Black Hole

Post by Linked » Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:14 pm

I was chatting with my TBM dad and brother about life and it was really interesting to watch everything be immediately incorporated into their gospel worldview. They information would shift slightly and slot right into their testimony. It felt like their beliefs were a black hole with gravity so powerful it bends light preventing information from escaping. There's an event horizon on their worldview.

They would restate something in a way that adjusted the meaning to fit, and I would push back on their change, and then we got a little mad at each other.

Good times.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Emower

Re: The Black Hole

Post by Emower » Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:05 pm

Ugh. That's something I really didn't enjoy when I was in, now that I'm out it's really unappealing. I feel like it's a general Christian thing though, and even worse with evangelicals. All you have to do is comment on the sunset and their talking about Jesus' love being borne on its rays with their hands in the air.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:01 pm

I think a lot of those black holes lack Hawkin's radiation, so nothing escapes. I have a TBM BIL that my DW has been getting into the weeds with a bit lately, everything distorted and melded to fit into the view TSCC has prescribed for him. There's no way to have an open conversation with someone that has the only true and one right way to see the world. It's almost like you have to adjust your conversation to accommodate someone with a learning disability or other handicap. If you don't, they just get upset or defensive and the conversation is over.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Linked

Post by Linked » Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:50 am

RubinHighlander wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:01 pm
I think a lot of those black holes lack Hawkin's radiation, so nothing escapes.
Hahaha, this is the best science-nerd burn of the day, you win!
Emower wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:05 pm
Ugh. That's something I really didn't enjoy when I was in, now that I'm out it's really unappealing. I feel like it's a general Christian thing though, and even worse with evangelicals. All you have to do is comment on the sunset and their talking about Jesus' love being borne on its rays with their hands in the air.
Yes, definitely not unique to mormonism. In-your-face dogmatic believers of any stripe will do.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Angel

Post by Angel » Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:07 am

Linked wrote: Yes, definitely not unique to mormonism. In-your-face dogmatic believers of any stripe will do.
Just returned from time with religious family - different dogma, same black hole. Playing sermons on radio, bashing other religions - that is when I said something, when they bashed another family members belief. I pointed out all the charity the other groups do. Quite short conversation that ended with "you don't understand how long we searched and how much we've studied". I replied - everyone from all the different groups have done that... They stayed behind while we went on a walk. They would not have enjoyed the beautiful geology we saw anyways, K/T line isn't real to them.

So hard, I love them, they're a big part of my life. I love my own kids too, would just go along with it if not protecting my kids from it.

At first you think joining a group provides bonds, being close - but then you realize they aren't close to one another, they are only close to the church.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson