Wired to war?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

Wired to war?

Post by Red Ryder » Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:53 pm

We just watched Oppenheimer which overall I thought was a good movie. Perhaps Hollywood could take a nudge from President Nelson and cap all movies at the two hour mark because 3 hours is just too long for both movies and subday church services.

I’m struck by our humanoid need too destroy each other.
Our history suggests we take sides, to conquer, to kill, and to destroy.

The war in heaven. We chose sides.
Adam & Eve. Cain killed Able.
The Nephites vs. the Lamanites
The 49’ers vs. the Cowboys
The Cougars vs. the Utes.

We are wired to war against each other. To build up, armies, and navies, to destroy. Aah! You have looked over my kingdom, and my greatness and glory. Now you want to take possession of the whole of it.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Angel

Re: Wired to war?

Post by Angel » Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:38 pm

I'm looking forward to Oppenheimer, I'm also curious about the Barbie movie - heard it tries to break a few stereotypes etc.

Dogma seems to be the root of all evil. If we could all just see how similar we are - Catholic, Buddhist, Muslim, Jew - most live families, value work, the same hopes, fears, good, bad , tears, joy - the same human characteristics within each of us regardless of dogmatic beliefs.

Heirarchies, crazy leaders - if we could all refuse to follow leaders like that.... The next generation appear to have no trouble changing jobs - great to hear - ability to walk away from bad management, walk away from bad religion - nones are on the rise. Walk away from politicians/president? If there was a war, draft - people would refuse I think. Told to press a button? Make this, launch that? Some say Russia won't use nukes because they understand the retaliation that would happen. We will see.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:52 am

Not sure which war this would relate to, but I wanted to wish everyone a Happy Daze of 47.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:15 am

Loved the movie. I think we are also wired for the opposite--risking our lives for total strangers (as well as animals). It swings both ways and we can also create cultures both ways too.
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:51 pm

stealthbishop wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:15 am
Loved the movie. I think we are also wired for the opposite--risking our lives for total strangers (as well as animals). It swings both ways and we can also create cultures both ways too.
Thanks for pointing out the opposite. I need to focus more on the positive aspects of our human experience.

And if you’re reading this stealth…. Check your PM’s.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Angel

Post by Angel » Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:12 pm

Can't find it now, but was listening to a podcast with theory that our war is a result of transitioning from animals who act through instinct → logical thoughtful mind. The premise, consider a dog or lion - their actions are not really logically thought out or calculated, just instinct. So some monkey starts thinking things through a little longer, and the question is, what happens internally when age old instincts conflict with logical thoughts? Internal confusion on how to act - just fighting within ourselves, follow emotion/instinct/gut, or follow logic/thought - the theory was this is the root of war.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson