Lying prophets & other leaders

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Conman52

Lying prophets & other leaders

Post by Conman52 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:24 am

Oh my God I don't know where to start I am so upset !!! Been listening to mormon stories podcasts the last few day with Shannon Caldwell Montez on her thesis about the top leadership lying about almost everything in the church . Even going before congress and lying about not practicing polygamy when they clearly were. I've been pimo for a long time and comfortable with it I had maybe given a 1% chance parts of the church could be true, I even thought that top leaders were chosen for their good and honest lives they had lived . Now I find absolutely nothing about the church is true everything is a LIE !! I thought I had gotten past the anger and hurt but it all comes back !! I feel like such a fool to have devoted 40 years to this church . The lying never stops they have lied since the beginning!! Thanks for listening my fellow Nomies. God Bless.
By their fruits ye shall know them

Hagoth

Re: Lying prophets & other leaders

Post by Hagoth » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:46 am

Conman52 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:24 am
I even thought that top leaders were chosen for their good and honest lives they had lived.
No, they were chosen for their loyalty and usefulness to the church. Fortunately, many did live good and honest lives, but being "church broke" means being willing to relinquish your personal moral compass to the purposes of the institution. Many of the worst things in this world are done by people convinced they are making necessary compromises of morality for the benefit of the human race, or in the service of God.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:35 am

The rabbit hole is basically never-ending Mack.

Eventually you get a bit more accustomed to finding new factoids and will be less surprised each time. :shock:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:47 am

Conman52 - Don't be too harsh on yourself. The cogdis is painful, but time will help. I slogged 40+ years myself for the corporation. It's still a bit painful to think about all the energy and time it stole from me and my family, all the mental bs it created that I still grapple with at times. But I've reconciled that and accepted where life pooped me out: Indoctrinated into it from birth, raised in the Utah suburbs with the dominant culture and dogma, before the age of the internet. I don't blame my parents, in fact they are also both out now. I've come to understand a lot more about sapiens and their genetically wired tribalism. The religion/tribalism virus works all too well on our grey meat computers, it literally defies logic.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait » Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:35 pm

Got to chuckle about this. There's a reason that Utah and southeast Idaho are the con capitals of America for get rich and every other scheme. People are brought up to trust people and that's especially true for your beloved church leaders. All one has to do is pray, and by-golly and by-gum, the good ol' Holy Ghost tells ya the right thing to do and the right thing is always- always- trust your church leader.

Lucky for me, I was taught early on by a few wise men, that the higher up a person is in the Mormon church the closer you have to watch them. They will lie and steal and cheat you and do it with a clear conscience because they feel that they are entitled to because the Lord anointed them and ordained them and so on and so forth and whatever they do is the will of the Lord himself- regardless of the outcome....that is if the outcome makes them rich, or richer.

I was also told that in the church the "goldener rule" for church leaders is that they make sure the rich get richer. Themselves and their buddies. I've seen this all my life. Live and learn, and forget the poor saps- but don't trust them.

Stay with it Conman52. Lots of us here have had our footsies caught into the proverbial trap of lying leaders. We now know better than to trust them.
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell

Conman52

Post by Conman52 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:53 am

Yeah I was one of those that said it doesn't matter if it's not true but it's still a good way to raise a family !! Man I was sooooo wrong. I see now the hurt, anger,suicides, failed marriages. It's corrupt dishonest and it needs to stop . Stop lying LDS church !!!!
By their fruits ye shall know them

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:38 pm

More about the wonderful scholarship of Shannon Caldwell Montez here: https://newordermormon.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6608
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha