Welcome to the Tuesday Podcast Club!

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

Re: Welcome to the Tuesday Podcast Club!

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:34 pm

Anyone listen to the Adam Steed Mormon stories episode 1809? He was one of the kids abused in scouting and later had his live destroyed by Jodi Hildibrandt.

Elder Hillam helped to cover up the abuse. Jodi became a counselor on the LDS family services approved counselor list.

Anyone who doesn’t think the church is rotten to the core needs to hear this episode.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:46 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:34 pm
Anyone listen to the Adam Steed Mormon stories episode 1809? He was one of the kids abused in scouting and later had his live destroyed by Jodi Hildibrandt.

Elder Hillam helped to cover up the abuse. Jodi became a counselor on the LDS family services approved counselor list.

Anyone who doesn’t think the church is rotten to the core needs to hear this episode.
Almost 6 hours, and I couldn't listen for more than about 20 minutes at a time because it was so painful. I'm so glad his life is going well. Over on reddit, someone detailed the ways that the church failed Adam Steed: https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... iled_adam/

It was tragic how he was treated by the church. I can't handle having people tell me that it was just a result of imperfect people. If the leaders are this imperfect, the institution needs to be organized to deal with that. There need to be ways to check the power of those who can ruin people. If they don't want checks on their power, then they need to accept the responsibility for how they use their Lord's name.

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:43 pm

The new story about Tim Ballard from Operation Underground Railroad being denounced by the Mormon Church is getting a lot of Traction. Mormon Stories and RFM have both covered it.

The plan to sell poor Haitian orphans to Mormons and have Tim make a $20,000 profit from each one was concerning (as highlighted on RFM).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzq2_fZ9-5w&t=5s
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Linked

Post by Linked » Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:26 am

blazerb wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:46 pm
Red Ryder wrote:

Almost 6 hours, and I couldn't listen for more than about 20 minutes at a time because it was so painful. I'm so glad his life is going well. Over on reddit, someone detailed the ways that the church failed Adam Steed: https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... iled_adam/

It was tragic how he was treated by the church. I can't handle having people tell me that it was just a result of imperfect people. If the leaders are this imperfect, the institution needs to be organized to deal with that. There need to be ways to check the power of those who can ruin people. If they don't want checks on their power, then they need to accept the responsibility for how they use their Lord's name.
I'm not a regular Mormon Stories listener, but I had to listen to the Adam Steed and Jessi Hildebrandt episodes. Adam is a hero several times over. Taking on his abuser to prevent further abuse of others, taking on the Boy Scouts for the same thing, then dealing with 2 monsters determined to destroy him, followed by caring for his kids at the whims of his manipulative/calculating/abusive ex-wife after she stole all parental rights from him.

And what an inspiration his dad is too, for hearing his son and being the adult advocate Adam needed with the Boy Scouts, giving up his career and retirement in the process. Then helping Adam document EVERYTHING with Jodi.

The way everything turned around after Elder Hillam died is pretty damning for the guy. What kind of person in a position of power continually attacks a kid who is dealt a rough hand to start with?

Jodi Hildebrandt is a monster. Adam said it in his interview, Jessi said it in their interview, John Dehlin said it during one of the interviews, and the label fits. She deeply abused numerous vulnerable people in the name of doing God's will and helping people heal with the endorsement of the abused people's families, church leadership and state licensing bodies.

All of these are massive betrayals, but IMO the biggest failure was the state licensing. Families can do crazy stuff, religion can do crazy stuff, but we should be able to expect a base level of sanity for someone to get a license. The Utah DOPL should really do a deep dive on all the therapists that get recommended by LDS bishops, that mix of religion with the sheen of scientific proof that a license provides is clearly a dangerous mix.

It was interesting in the interview with Jessi that Jodi blamed some of the abuse she dished out on her fear of Jessi. I think Jodi made Jessi stay outside in the snow because Jodi was afraid Jessi would kill her in her sleep. With mormon beliefs you could justify all sorts of terrible behavior with unreasonable fears. Fear based in one's imagination cannot legally justify harming others, or you could kill people and claim self defense with absolutely no reality-based justification.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:05 pm

moksha wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:43 pm
The new story about Tim Ballard from Operation Underground Railroad being denounced by the Mormon Church is getting a lot of Traction. Mormon Stories and RFM have both covered it.
Here is an update from RFM titled Tim Ballard Strikes Back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgkOV9rJuig
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:49 pm

Red Ryder wrote:

Adam is truly an amazing human. That was an absolutely powerful episode.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Linked

Post by Linked » Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:38 pm

This is rich. I was happy to see some reporting on Jodi Hildebrandt by KSL of all organizations, one article about Jodi surrendering her license and another with details about her past abuse against Jessi Hildebrandt and Adam Steed. It was accurate with sources and everything, seemingly complete. Until all credibility was lost with this gem about Jodi's unethical disclosures to BYU regarding Adam Steed (emphasis mine):
KSL wrote:A stipulation agreement provided to the KSL Investigators by Utah’s Division of Professional Licensing states that on multiple occasions, Hildebrandt discussed private information about a married couple she was counseling to their clergy and two other mental health therapists. The document also states Hildebrandt disclosed confidential information about the husband, including a medical diagnosis, to administrators at a university in Utah.
"A university in Utah"???? Are you kidding me? This is how you show that you aren't interested in reality, but that you have your masters and will blatantly cover things up to please them. Clearly the church leadership wants it to look like all the evil perpetrated by Jodi is entirely on her and contrary to the church. But their hands are elbow deep in the abuse of Adam and other couples that Bishops sent Jodi's way.

I would love to get as much proof as possible tying the church to Jodi to throw out there every time a church affiliate claims it's just that Jodi is evil and I'm crazy to think that this could be tied to the church.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:21 pm

They had to take down Adam's interview. Mormon Stories was served a restraining order.

https://www.youtube.com/live/ogKZ4tMWZw ... akZ_ETCtCq
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:59 pm

MoPag wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:21 pm
They had to take down Adam's interview. Mormon Stories was served a restraining order.

The forces of evil were able to shut down this Mormon Story. I won't speculate that Kirton McConkie and an LDS judge were involved.
-- Moksha

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:13 am

What would the Church do without lawyers..... and the Strengthening the Church Committee? :cry: This is so petty.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Linked

Post by Linked » Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:45 am

MoPag wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:21 pm

I wonder if it had to do with his settlement with the Scouts. Adam mentioned that the settlement amount was sealed, and later gave an order of magnitude on the amount.

Hopefully whatever the issue was, it was minor and can be edited out so the interview can be re-posted. It's an important story.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:53 pm

I’m guessing here but it was either pulled down by actions of his ex-wife…

Or

To be used in court against Hildebrandt??

Interesting. We listened to it but didn’t download it.

There has to be a copy floating around.

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:09 am

I know it's not Tuesday, and I'm just going to pitch a Mormon Stories interview, but it hit me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1bnUiOsCgM. It it called "Religion and the Scarcity Brain."

My mind went in a little different direction from JD or his guest. They were talking about how uncertain rewards are the most compelling. The vast majority of pigeons will forgo guaranteed food for an uncertain reward even though it gives them less in the short and long term. People do the same when they gamble. I connected this to my religious days. I would pray to God for various things. Sometimes I would get what I prayed for. Sometimes I would not. The uncertain reward may have been a bigger stimulus to my brain than just getting what I wanted every time. I think I may have been "addicted" to religion in the same way people get addicted to gambling.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:22 pm

blazerb wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:09 am
I know it's not Tuesday, and I'm just going to pitch a Mormon Stories interview, but it hit me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1bnUiOsCgM. It it called "Religion and the Scarcity Brain."

My mind went in a little different direction from JD or his guest. They were talking about how uncertain rewards are the most compelling. The vast majority of pigeons will forgo guaranteed food for an uncertain reward even though it gives them less in the short and long term. People do the same when they gamble. I connected this to my religious days. I would pray to God for various things. Sometimes I would get what I prayed for. Sometimes I would not. The uncertain reward may have been a bigger stimulus to my brain than just getting what I wanted every time. I think I may have been "addicted" to religion in the same way people get addicted to gambling.
Good podcast so far. I’m about half way through and found out Syster Ryder listened to this one yesterday. I had a few audible credits so grabbed both of his books. I’ll finish the podcast and roll into those and respond here. Thanks for the continuation of Tuesday Podcast!