Quakerism

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
stuck

Quakerism

Post by stuck » Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:00 pm

I went to a business conference in Philadelphia over the weekend. This is also where I served my mission and went to grad school. I visited the historical district and in particular the historic Quaker church and museum. Here is a link https://www.historicasmh.org/. I was impressed with how this church has tried and continues to try to make the world a better place. They advocated for Native American rights, helped with the Abolitionist movement, women rights and I believe more recently LGBT+ rights. It was founded by George Fox in the mid 1600s because he didn't like the corruption that was in the church of England. He believed that everyone has light within them. So they are founded upon that principle. Some believe in the Bible and some don't. Here's another link about the Quakers https://intranet.birmingham.ac.uk/stude ... o%20creed.

It would be cool if eventually the church could reform to where they do something similar.

My wife said someone in our ward who works for the church curriculum department or something says that she has learned a lot about Joseph Smith and has caused her to realize that he is an imperfect(fallible) man. It seems that the church is having to come to terms with its history etc. Has anyone else noticed any changes like this in their wards?

Gatorbait

Re: Quakerism

Post by Gatorbait » Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:35 pm

Interesting. Christians actually acting like Christians. Good for them. Apart from having a strange name, I'd never given them much thought.

Question- are they the ones we should thank for this brother and sister business that Mormons have embraced and which there seems to be no end to?
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell

stuck

Post by stuck » Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:01 pm

Gatorbait wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:35 pm
Interesting. Christians actually acting like Christians. Good for them. Apart from having a strange name, I'd never given them much thought.

Question- are they the ones we should thank for this brother and sister business that Mormons have embraced and which there seems to be no end to?
Yeah wikipedia says us and JWs ;)

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:20 am

stuck wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:00 pm
... she has learned a lot about Joseph Smith and has caused her to realize that he is an imperfect(fallible) man. .
It's funny how the church always tells us that but withholds all examples. Then when we find examples it comes as a shock. They we are told, hey, we always told you he was imperfect; give Brother Joseph a break/praise to the man.

Quakers seem to move through this world almost unseen, doing good without getting much attention. Seems like a pretty Christian way of being, compared to the big, loud, demanding Christians who are always grasping for power and condemning or trying to control other peoples' lives. Plus, they have the silent support of their brethren on the moon.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

stuck

Post by stuck » Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:18 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:20 am
stuck wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:00 pm
... she has learned a lot about Joseph Smith and has caused her to realize that he is an imperfect(fallible) man. .
Quakers seem to move through this world almost unseen, doing good without getting much attention. Seems like a pretty Christian way of being, compared to the big, loud, demanding Christians who are always grasping for power and condemning or trying to control other peoples' lives. Plus, they have the silent support of their brethren on the moon.
There's only about 800,000 of them throughout the world apparently. But yes, if I were to join another church, they would be at or near the top. I like the reference to the moon.

:lol: