Garments always hanging out and it drives me nuts

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

Re: Garments always hanging out and it drives me nuts

Post by Hagoth » Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:34 am

acmeist wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:29 am
...women's clothing can be very tricky to find anything that is "modest" enough to cover them...
Some women in my ward compensate by wearing "modest" length clothing that is VERY tight and revealing. That word "modest" has such a specific meaning in Mormonism that is totally alien to the rest of the English speaking world.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Wonderment

Re: Garments always hanging out and it drives me nuts

Post by Wonderment » Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:51 pm

Garments hanging out underneath clothing make the wearer look disheveled and sloppy. In fact, any kind of underwear hanging out underneath clothing makes the wearer look sloppy. The garments should remain underneath clothing, not hang outside. If my partner walked around with garments hanging out, I would be completely turned off by that. I think you should explain that if she intends to wear garments, then her clothing needs to cover them up. So she needs to select clothing that covers her garments, or alter the clothing she already has.

I don't wear garments, but I don't walk around with ANY underwear hanging out or even showing underneath clothing. If I think that my underwear is revealed by the piece of clothing, then I don't buy or wear that clothing. Most people don't want their partners dressed in such a way that their underwear hangs out-- especially when it's ugly underwear. You are not horrible; you are perfectly normal.

I feel really sorry about this, but please tell her. Tell her kindly and gently, but still tell her. If she needs to go buy new clothes that cover her garments, then that is what she needs to do. Maybe offer to go shopping with her, or shop online and look for something attractive to wear. JMO -- Wndr.