Garments always hanging out and it drives me nuts

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
jfro18

Garments always hanging out and it drives me nuts

Post by jfro18 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:39 pm

I hate garments so much... I've hated them since the moment I was told that I'd have to wear them for the rest of my life which no one told me until the days before going to the temple with my wife. She knew and she did not tell me which sucked, but I couldn't say anything because I thought that's just what I was supposed to do. Combine that with how my temple experience went (horrified to be touched on my naked inner thigh) and they represent the worst of everything to me.

Anyway flash forward and we're now many years into the mixed faith marriage stuff and every day I have to see her garments hanging out of her clothes. They're always out on top and then hang below her shorts sometimes and definitely out a bit when sitting or laying down... we all know how often this happens I'm sure.

I know I'm horrible, but I wish there was an easy way to be able to ask to not have them hanging out... but I know that would lead to a fight.

I'm just venting because I know I sound unreasonable... but just knowing now that they're long underwear with Masonic symbols makes it all the worse and I am just so tired of looking over and seeing them all the time. It's like a constant reminder of the thing in my life that causes the most problems... and it's all made up nonsense.

And that's why I hate garments. :lol: :(

Hagoth

Re: Garments always hanging out and it drives me nuts

Post by Hagoth » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:23 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:39 pm
I know I'm horrible, but I wish there was an easy way to be able to ask to not have them hanging out... but I know that would lead to a fight.
I used to roll up my waistband to keep them from handing below my shorts but I was reprimanded for "modifying" them contrary to my covenant.

The other annoying thing about garments is that they never seem to get discarded until they are more holes than fabric. Some people think of them as holy underwear but they can be just as accurately describes as holey underwear. Or maybe hobo underwear.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

sparky

Post by sparky » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:16 pm

Vent away. Garments are one of the stupidest ideas Smith ever conjured into the world. On the other side of it now it's almost unbelievable that Mormons accept this ~200 year old humiliation.

After I stopped wearing them I hoped it might encourage DW to give herself permission to ditch them too, at least sometimes. But no dice. I have fantasies that the church will have a major garment reform (e.g. only required in the temple) like the rumors every six months, just so I can say, "well, I guess I must have been listening to the Spirit and been ahead of the curve!"

Sympathies, friend. Garments truly suck.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:55 am

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:23 pm
I used to roll up my waistband to keep them from handing below my shorts but I was reprimanded for "modifying" them contrary to my covenant.
I would pull them up as high as I could Urkle-style to make sure they didn't hang out the bottom of shorts and it was so uncomfortable but I was terrified that my non-LDS friends would notice.
sparky wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:16 pm
I have fantasies that the church will have a major garment reform (e.g. only required in the temple) like the rumors every six months, just so I can say, "well, I guess I must have been listening to the Spirit and been ahead of the curve!"
Every GenCon i have this hope too,but I think my wife at this point would just keep wearing them b/c that's what she was taught to do. For so many it would turn into a total test of self-righteousness to be the ones who keep wearing them even after they go optional.

Linked

Post by Linked » Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:32 pm

Garments are awful. Uncomfortable, difficult, ugly, conspicuous, conforming clothes that constantly remind of the divide between me and my spouse. 0/10, do not recommend.

I saw my TBM parents relationship with their garments, then watched all my brothers and sisters adopt them, so I knew it was coming. It was sad, but not surprising. I can only imagine finding out about garments mere days before having to wear them 24/7, that sounds terrible! They demand that you give them a piece of your soul and thank them for it, along with the opportunity to pay 10% to be worthy of them.

The pain you feel upon seeing the garments is reasonable and real. But there is no way to bring this up with your dear wife that will help the situation.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:45 pm

Y'all don't like cute grey-ish-white "ruffles" hanging out from under MORMoN folk's clothing?

:shock: :!:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:54 pm

It is cringe worthy when you see those things rearing their way out of the TBM crevasses or even see them under a more translucent white shirt.

For that reason I don't miss going out to lunch in downtown SLC. I'd see the corporate uniform all the time. Sometimes I'd even over hear them talking about the latest bs from their church callings and activities, like they were in church and oblivious to how cringey they sounded out in public.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:04 am

jfro18 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:39 pm
Anyway flash forward and we're now many years into the mixed faith marriage stuff and every day I have to see her garments hanging out of her clothes. They're always out on top and then hang below her shorts sometimes and definitely out a bit when sitting or laying down... we all know how often this happens I'm sure.
Can you shrink garments in the wash? Or surprise your DW with new garments that are all one size smaller? ;)

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:23 pm
The other annoying thing about garments is that they never seem to get discarded until they are more holes than fabric. Some people think of them as holy underwear but they can be just as accurately describes as holey underwear. Or maybe hobo underwear.

I think this may be because they are such a pain to get replacements for. You can't just go to your local Target or Walmart and get a 6 pack of undershirts. If you live in the Moridor, you have to drive to one of the Polygamy Palaces and hope that their Beehive Clothing store is open. Next you get to have your recommend checked to verify that you are worthy to buy underwear. Then you have to go up to the counter and tell them what underwear you want. In addition to the awkwardness about telling someone who could be your grandparent or great grandparent, you get to stand around while they go look in the back for the style, materiel and size you want and hope they they have that in stock. IF not, you get to repeat the process again and again until you find something that they do have in stock.

If you don't live near a temple, then you get the added joy of having to drive multiple hours to get to a temple just to by clothes that a normal person can get just drown the street back home.

This whole process is such a pain that you will put it off until absolutely necessary. Admittedly, I have not bought garnets in over a decade, so I don't know if the process has improved, but it was SUCH a pain for me back when I did wear them. It It really didn't help that the DC temple is a 2.5 hour drive and their online shopping system absolutely sucked, even for the day. Maybe things are better, but the common LDSinc. mentality of spending as little money on something as possible, I would not be surprised if it hasn't improved.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:20 pm

Garments? Did someone say Garments suck!!!!
This is my type of thread!

I’m happy to report that Syster Ryder has stopped wearing hers 99% of the time! They still sit in the drawer for now but it’s been amazing the transformation our marriage has taken when Jesus Jammies are no longer worn to bed. Wink wink! Not to mention the laundry is so much easier. Packing a suitcase?? Who knew there was so much extra space??

Rather than humble brag or complain about them…

LET’S DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

Let’s agitate for change. I’m think something along the lines of an Ordain Women or Sam Young and masturbation interviews protest.

jfro, you have a platform, a voice, and a friend in Mormon Stories. Let’s start a vocal social media campaign and light a fire under the members who hate them.

The key is to get the Mormon Women to buy in to pressure the church to change. Our window of opportunity to tie this to “policy change” and not “doctrine change” is only open as long as President Russell M. Nelson is still alive. We must hurry!

We need a simple and catchy organization name.

Mission statement:

"We embrace the sacred tradition of temple garments as symbols of devotion, commitment, and faith. We honor this cherished practice but wish to reserve their wearing only in the sacred space of the temple, where we connect with our most profound covenants, promises, and embrace the Love of our Savior."

Here’s a few marketing ideas:

Slogans:

“Same Faith, Less Fabric!"

"Same Gospel, Less Garments!"

"Simple Faith, Less Fabric."

“Same Priesthood, Less Polyester!”

"More Love, Less Layers."

“Same Commitment, Less Clothing! "

“Same Covenant Path, Less Itchy Underwear!”

“Authorized pattern. Authorized place!”

“Jesus didn’t wear them, why should we?”

"Embrace the Tradition: Temple Garments, Temple Only."

"Your Faith, Your Garments, Their Sacred Place."

"Keeping the Covenant, One Garment at a Time, Inside the Temple."

“Reserve the Reverence: Temple Garments Inside, Faith Outside."

It’s 2023 for Gods sake! Why are we still wearing frontier sex cult underwear from the 1800’s?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:34 pm

We could also have a massive protest where a single file line of 15,000 people are lined down the sidewalks and streets of Salt Lake City.

All in line to drop a single pair of garments into a massive large pile of polyester and cotton at the footsteps of the church office building!

Like this:

alas

Post by alas » Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:44 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:34 pm
We could also have a massive protest where a single file line of 15,000 people are lined down the sidewalks and streets of Salt Lake City.

All in line to drop a single pair of garments into a massive large pile of polyester and cotton at the footsteps of the church office building!
And we could do this while wearing nothing but our garmies and the ones we carry to leave. I mean, shouldn’t we demonstrate how ugly they really are? or maybe take a pair off and leave them. That would give a church a lot of publicity they wouldn’t like.

I don’t volunteer to be part of this protest, mind you, just a suggestion for others

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:46 pm

alas wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:44 pm
And we could do this while wearing nothing but our garmies and the ones we carry to leave. I mean, shouldn’t we demonstrate how ugly they really are? or maybe take a pair off and leave them. That would give a church a lot of publicity they wouldn’t like.

I don’t volunteer to be part of this protest, mind you, just a suggestion for others
YES! Great idea Alas!

Keep the ideas coming.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:36 pm

If I could find a way to agitate people towards becoming more vocal about doing away with garments I would put some energy into it. They are the most unattractive clothing ever and the fact that the symbols are masonic should be the easiest sign that these are not from God.

Now I have to think if there's a way I could work that into a real way to push.

My wife once told me she was really offended that I said that garments are unattractive, but there is no way anyone finds them to be attractive clothing... there's just no way.

Honestly garments should be forced on those who aren't married because that would help cut down on pre-marital relations more than anything else ever could.

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:03 am

I feel for ya'll. Been there, worn that. So glad my wife and I no longer wear them. She will still wear them to church at times, and when I go, I will usually wear at least the top garm, as it's relatively comfortable under a long sleeve white shirt. Nothing special to me, just a while t shirt that i still happen to have. I think i only have 3 pair left. My wife has several pair and I know it's been a little tougher for her to completely abandon them even though she was really the first one of us to stop wearing them on a daily basis.

They are awful. Just God awful.

I remember the first day I wore the damn things. Getting my endowments in Mesa AZ in August. Hot as hell and now I've got this extra layer of clothes. It super sucked. This was not an enjoyable lifestyle change, but like many of you all, I endured. I found a style or fabric that was the least objectionable--cotton blend-- and eventually found that i could buy the SHORT bottoms, which I'm sure were intended for short men, not guys over 6', but they fit better and were more like boxer briefs, and didn't hang out the bottoms of shorts so much, but still... ugh.. getting them pressed down into pants. Just sucked.

My wife also hated how her g's fit. Extra material here there and everywhere.

I am embarrassed I wore them for as long as I did. I feel for those of you whose spouses still wear them. Bedroom armor.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:40 am

I put mine in a garbage bag and sent them to the garage.
I used them over several years to change the oil on the cars.
When DW stopped wearing hers, it took a few months but one day she just put them in a garbage bag and gave them to me.
Many oil changes later they are all well used and rotting in a land fill.
It was cathartic for me as I made my way through the post-church mental debriefing process.

On day I found my forgotten temple clothing bag, everything still in there and folded nicely.
One beautiful summer day I took the silly outfit out to the north end of the GSL for a little creative desecration.
Let's just say the activities performed that afternoon would not have been approved of by TSCC.
But it was cathartic for me and I hope I got it all out of my Fs account.
I have no idea where the incriminating photos and videos are atm, probably on one of my old iphones.

For some of us, if the indoctrination from childhood held strong enough to keep us in the matrix into our late adult years, there can be an uncomfortable level cogdis, getting over the magical world view and all the voodoo you were fed most of your life, to believe in made up things unseen.

Maybe it was like when I was a kid, turning the light out, running across the room and leaping onto the bed. Fear of the boogie man under there, ready to grab my foot and pull me down to hell. Then one night I just stuck my foot down there and said, "Go ahead, chew it off or drag me down, I dare you." During my faith crisis, I ran a similar experiment with Satan and God...crickets, challenge not accepted by them, life was better.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:58 am

stuck

Post by stuck » Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:02 pm

Yeah, I bought the brief style for shorts but they're too tight. The boxer style's waistband is too tight also. The top is too hot during the day so I usually ditch it when I get to work. I agree with RR. It would be better in bed without them ;) Maybe that could be another marketing slogan--multiply and replenish the earth by not wearing garments :)

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:16 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:04 am
I think this may be because they are such a pain to get replacements for.
I think it is just as much about the problem of getting rid of them. Despite all of the instruction about how and when to wear your garments, there is never any specific information given about when to stop wearing them and how to dispose of them; just whispered rumors. It's almost like an unspoken ritual, right? Cut out the marks. Then what? Burn them? throw them in the trash? What about the garments that now have such weirdly conspicuous holes in them? Cut them into smaller pieces?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:18 am

Pet peeve: I really dislike the look of men wearing the Gs tops that have the full neck and then wear a t-shirt and the garments stick up about a half inch above the t-shirt.
~2bizE

acmeist

Post by acmeist » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:29 am

Late to this thread, but I agree that garments are awful, and I spent the last few years before ditching them tucking them up and pulling the legs higher. However, women's clothing can be very tricky to find anything that is "modest" enough to cover them unless you go for long sleeves and long length. Also, add an individual woman's height and shape into that, and the deck is really stacked against women trying to find cute clothes that won't show garments. I grew up in a very weird family too who saw garments as quasi lounge wear. They didn't (fortunately) wear them around the house by themselves, but they had no qualms in showing them under various pajamas or clothing. My parents (and their parents) honestly believed they were super comfortable and holy at the same time. Win win for them in their minds. Anyway, just to offer some perspective from a female who had to deal with shopping for them and also who grew up with a warped view of their value as clothing.