Are you ready for Moroni Day?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

Are you ready for Moroni Day?

Post by Hagoth » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:32 am

Tomorrow, Sept 21, marks the 200th anniversary of the day a treasure guardian spirit stood in a pillar of light as bright as the sun in the bedroom of five boys in an Upper State New York Cabin and spoke in the booming voice of an angel for hours on end, but failed to wake four of them up.

Many members and leaders of the church are referring to this day as Moroni Day. I'm just wondering if y'all are as excited as I am and what you are doing to make preparations for the big day.

The church is celebrating this wonderous event by leaving Moroni off all their new temples. I'm hoping some spares will become available so we can put them up in our yards to commemorate the day. If not, I'm hoping Home Depot is considering stocking some lawn inflatables.

I think there should be a Great Pumpkin aspect to this holiday. Everyone spends the night on top of a hill convenient to their home. The most humble will be rewarded with a visit from the angel and a spot to dig for treasure (which you will never be able to show anyone). The runner up will be shown the place to dig but the treasure will slip away into the earth.

What are our favorite Moroni Day traditions and foods? Roast Curelom and sacrament bread stuffing for us!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

blazerb

Re: Are you ready for Moroni Day?

Post by blazerb » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:39 am

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:32 am
Tomorrow, Sept 21, marks the 200th anniversary of the day a treasure guardian spirit stood in a pillar of light as bright as the sun in the bedroom of five boys in an Upper State New York Cabin and spoke in the booming voice of an angel for hours on end, but failed to wake four of them up.

Many members and leaders of the church are referring to this day as Moroni Day. I'm just wondering if y'all are as excited as I am and what you are doing to make preparations for the big day.

The church is celebrating this wonderous event by leaving Moroni off all their new temples. I'm hoping some spares will become available so we can put them up in our yards to commemorate the day. If not, I'm hoping Home Depot is considering stocking some lawn inflatables.

I think there should be a Great Pumpkin aspect to this holiday. Everyone spends the night on top of a hill convenient to their home. The most humble will be rewarded with a visit from the angel and a spot to dig for treasure (which you will never be able to show anyone). The runner up will be shown the place to dig but the treasure will slip away into the earth.

What are our favorite Moroni Day traditions and foods? Roast Curelom and sacrament bread stuffing for us!
I will donate 20% of my ziff to the CoJCoLDS. I'll hang on to my gold and silver.

Linked

Post by Linked » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:46 am

My favorite Moroni Day tradition is putting on brown-face and watching the Moroni's Lament music video, by "I Heard Him Come" writer Jeff Goodrich.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:35 am

Linked wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:46 am
My favorite Moroni Day tradition is putting on brown-face and watching the Moroni's Lament music video, by "I Heard Him Come" writer Jeff Goodrich.
Ooh. Chills.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:57 am

Linked wrote:
LMAO! Killn me Linked!

I'm going for the golden yard gnome version of Moroni where he's giving TSCC the finger for taking him off the temples:
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:29 am

Linked wrote:
Wow!

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:43 am

Hagoth wrote:
What are our favorite Moroni Day traditions and foods?

We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:45 am

Linked wrote:
Someone should do a Jan 6th montage with that song. Captain Moroni's Lament.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Linked

Post by Linked » Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:27 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:35 am
Linked wrote:
Ooh. Chills.
Right? This got teenage Linked's eyes to water up every time!

nibbler wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:45 am
Linked wrote:
Someone should do a Jan 6th montage with that song. Captain Moroni's Lament.
Hahahaha, that would be awesome
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:26 pm

MORONi City Has subscribed to the thread.

The City would like you to know that world famous Sanpete Barbeque Turkey Is the only approved food for official MORONi Day celebrations.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Linked

Post by Linked » Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:37 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:26 pm

The City would like you to know that world famous Sanpete Barbeque Turkey Is the only approved food for official MORONi Day celebrations.
I thought you were talking about this Moroni City at first...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moroni,_Comoros

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:48 pm

Linked wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:37 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:26 pm

I thought you were talking about this Moroni City at first...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moroni,_Comoros
OK, well...

Maybe I should have typed: The Plagiarized version of Moroni City, located in Utah Has subscribed to the thread.

I think we all know which Moroni City is real. Maybe. :?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:58 pm

The one place the LDS church will NEVER build a temple. I mean, besides the temple lot in Missouri.

alas

Post by alas » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:26 pm

nibbler wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:43 am
Hagoth wrote:
What are our favorite Moroni Day traditions and foods?

MacaMoroni

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:22 am

Bilbo Baggin's 111th Birthday!!! Now that was a day to celebrate. Plenty of good food, dancing, and a doozy of a fireworks display.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:11 am

Now that's the spirit!

ETA: one of the objects on the table is a Mesoamerican pyramid made of rice crispy treats. The sign reads: Please have one rice crispy treat to celebrate Moroni's visit to Joseph Smith which blessed the world and us with the Book of Mormon.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:43 am

Is the first truly recorded, detailed account of this visit from the 1838 history? I know there are allusions to spiritual visitors, but I cant remember this account being in any detail before that.

Which of course is amazing given how backdated all of it is, not that members care... i just saw a lot of posts saying this was even MORE important than the First Vision because early members actually knew about this one.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:25 am

jfro18 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:43 am
Is the first truly recorded, detailed account of this visit from the 1838 history? I know there are allusions to spiritual visitors, but I cant remember this account being in any detail before that.

Which of course is amazing given how backdated all of it is, not that members care... i just saw a lot of posts saying this was even MORE important than the First Vision because early members actually knew about this one.
That's a great question. Oliver Cowdery wrote in the Messenger and Advocate in 1835: "; and I believe that the angel Moroni, whose words I have been rehearsing, who communicated the knowledge of the record of the Nephites, in this age, saw also, before he hid up the same unto the Lord, great and marvellous things, which were to transpire when the same should come forth; and I also believe, that God will give line upon line, precept upon precept, to his saints, until all these things will be unfolded to them, and they finally sanctified and brought into the Celestial glory, where tears will be wiped from all faces, and sighing and sorrowing flee away!"

Notice that his does not recount any details of the Moroni's Day visit. I don't think we hear any details until Joseph's first telling of the story in his history of the church, which appeared in the Millennial Star in 1939, and where we get this famous discrepancy: "He called me by name and said unto me that he was a messenger sent from the presence of God to me and that his name was Nephi...."

stuck

Post by stuck » Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:12 pm

Don't forget he also dedicated the spot for the Manti temple :roll: https://collections.lib.utah.edu/detail ... %20Library