Daughter on records of church never baptized

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
acmeist

Daughter on records of church never baptized

Post by acmeist » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:37 pm

My daughter is an adult now. We never baptized her but did bless her as an infant. Church bothered her/us when she turned 9 to get that easy baptism number, but otherwise I have never heard from them about her. I am still a member on record. I saw the relief society newsletter, and it had her birthday on it for the month. How do we get rid of this? I know she would probably want it removed if it can be done. Quitmormon.org didn't seem to have any information, anyone know or have experience with this?

wtfluff

Re: Daughter on records of church never baptized

Post by wtfluff » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:32 pm

acmeist wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:37 pm
My daughter is an adult now. We never baptized her but did bless her as an infant. Church bothered her/us when she turned 9 to get that easy baptism number, but otherwise I have never heard from them about her. I am still a member on record. I saw the relief society newsletter, and it had her birthday on it for the month. How do we get rid of this? I know she would probably want it removed if it can be done. Quitmormon.org didn't seem to have any information, anyone know or have experience with this?
You blessed her - that means she is a "Member of Record" - not an "official" baptized member, but she still has a membership record and a membership number.

You (she) should be able to go through the same procedure as any other "resignation" using her membership number.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:58 am

We used Quitmormon, but that was several years ago, so I'm not sure what their process is now. Back then it we had to provide Quitmormon a picture ID, membership number, some personal info for positive ID; Quitmormon would send in the request and get a reply letter back a few months later. Quitmormon did not send copies of IDs to lds.corp, it was just so they could legally say they verified the individual for the request.

I think if you got your name off, your daughter's name might gone too, since she's not baptized and should not have a member number. But I've been out too long, the kids might also have member IDs as well. I got my member number off the annual membership info sheet the clerk would print every year for tithing settlement. You might have to contact a local ward clerk to get your membership number if you don't have any records of it. If you ever created an account on lds.org you might also be able to get your record ID from there.

You can also just send in your own letter of resignation directly to the membership department at lds.hq, although I have not heard how well that is functioning these days.

Anyone out there done a resignation/removal lately?
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:03 am

Supposedly church policy is that if a child is blessed, but not baptized, they will be dropped from membership records when they turn 18. No idea of that is actually enforced or not.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:26 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:03 am
Supposedly church policy is that if a child is blessed, but not baptized, they will be dropped from membership records when they turn 18. No idea of that is actually enforced or not.
Nope, I have a non-baptized 18-year-old.

While I can't see "details" of their record now because they're 18, I can still see them in L(s)DS tools.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

acmeist

Post by acmeist » Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:43 pm

I did some searching and found this on the church site:

“However, the ward in which the person lives retains the membership record until the person is 18. At that time, if the person chooses not to be baptized despite being given every opportunity, the bishop, with permission from the stake president, cancels the membership record.“

I have no idea what her number is or mine, where my ward meets or even when. I guess I will start with the RS newsletter contact to see who the bishop is because she wants it cancelled. This is a very annoying and dumb thing to deal with more than a decade after leaving.

HappierNow

Post by HappierNow » Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:16 pm

You might try calling Member Services at Church Headquarters: 801-240-3500. They have access to the membership database, can look up people’s membership record numbers, and can possibly cancel your daughter’s record faster than can be done through your local ward.