Why the church fears James Huntsman

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

Why the church fears James Huntsman

Post by Hagoth » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:35 am

The latest efforts of the church to deflect the James Huntsman case seem pretty desperate to me:
https://www.sltrib.com/news/2023/09/21/ ... ays-james/
It sounds like they are demanding the sacred privilege of defrauding their membership with impunity.

Of course, they are not concerned at all about the direct financial loss of $5 million. They suck that much out of their members every few minutes. What they fear is that Huntsman will win discovery. All the financial books would be open and their sins would be shouted from the rooftops.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

jfro18

Re: Why the church fears James Huntsman

Post by jfro18 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:10 am

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:35 am
Of course, they are not concerned at all about the direct financial loss of $5 million. They suck that much out of their members every few minutes. What they fear is that Huntsman will win discovery. All the financial books would be open and their sins would be shouted from the rooftops.
This is 100% the reason - they do not want anyone knowing what they're doing financially, which seems so odd for the one true church of God.

But ultimately this is why they're framing the appeals on a freedom of speech/religion/whatever. If Huntsman is able to get to discovery, he's already won the case as far as his purpose I would bet.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:50 pm

I am putting it out there into the cosmos that we live to see the day this big corporation falls and many others like it. They have been sucking the life out of billions of people on this planet under the ruse of saving them, it would be my dream to see at least the beginning of their great fall. Can you imagine if this goes through and paves the way for a class action, for those of us who don't have enough to retire but would if we got those donations back? I know it's only a slim chance that would happen, but I'm holding out some hope.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:59 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:50 pm
Can you imagine if this goes through and paves the way for a class action, for those of us who don't have enough to retire but would if we got those donations back? I know it's only a slim chance that would happen, but I'm holding out some hope.
That's the other predicament I think this puts the church in: If you settle the case (I don't think Huntsman would do that anyway) it would allow every other former member to follow suit. But if you can't settle, you run the risk of the books getting opened up.

I still don't think Huntsman will ever get to see their financial books, but if he did it would be something to behold for sure.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:33 am

jfro18 wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:59 pm
RubinHighlander wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:50 pm
Can you imagine if this goes through and paves the way for a class action, for those of us who don't have enough to retire but would if we got those donations back? I know it's only a slim chance that would happen, but I'm holding out some hope.
That's the other predicament I think this puts the church in: If you settle the case (I don't think Huntsman would do that anyway) it would allow every other former member to follow suit. But if you can't settle, you run the risk of the books getting opened up.

I still don't think Huntsman will ever get to see their financial books, but if he did it would be something to behold for sure.
If the books are opened it sets a scary precedent for all churches. It's hard to imagine an American legal system that bends over backwards for "religious freedoms" letting that happen, unless the religious world in general really, really hates Mormons enough to put themselves at risk. The example to keep in mind, of course, is Scientology. Nobody likes them, but litigation and claims of religious freedom have saved them over and over again. As long as they stand, the LDS church probably feels safe.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:08 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:35 am
The sacred privilege of defrauding their membership with impunity.
That should be at the top of all tithing slips. :D
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:31 am

It seems like the SEC fine and reprimand might be serious complication for the church. Since Huntsman filed it has been demonstrated pretty clearly that the church has actively committed fraud and intentionally deceived its own members. I wish someone else would file a similar suit, specifically citing the SEC findings as their prime exhibit. In light of the church's settlement with the SEC and admission of guilt, it seems like it would be pretty hard for church to convince the court that they are the innocent victims of frivolous litigation.

Regardless, I hope the SEC findings will be taken into account as this thing moves forward. Let us all fast and pray for full discovery!

Random

Post by Random » Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:17 pm

I really hope this results in public financial discovery of the LDS Corp coffers.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK