NOMference Saturday afternoon Fall 2023

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
2bizE

Re: NOMference Saturday afternoon Fall 2023

Post by 2bizE » Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:37 pm

græy wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:17 pm
Tithing != being right before the Lord

I agree. Straight from the mouth of a bishop.
~2bizE

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:38 pm

Thats a wrap...see you all in a couple hours...

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:38 pm

Rasband:

Keep milking that cash cow no matter how old it gets. Get everything you can before it dies.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:39 pm

2bizE wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:37 pm
If I’m not mistaken, the Norwegian saints get free university in their country. Why pay to come to BYU?
Good point, and they probably get to attend an actual good school.

alas

Post by alas » Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:50 pm

About senior missionaries, hubby and I have a relative who is on a senior mission with her husband. They kind of complained that they have them working 18 hour days, 6 days a week, and Sunday too if a car needs work so the important people can use it. Retired seniors working 18 hours. And his is not an office job. He maintains the fleet of automobiles used by the mission. He is responsible for keeping the cars maintained, change the oil, make repairs, and so on. Oh, he has an assistant to do some of the harder physical stuff, like lugging tires around to rotate them, and crawl under for oil change. The tools are no more than a regular guy would have in his home garage, so he is doing all basic maintenance on some 30 cars, without the professional tools a real mechanic would have. In real life, he was a white collar professional. Now he is a beginning level auto mechanic for free at about 100+ hours a week and paying good money so the church doesn’t have to hire someone. They are both exhausted. Even my TBM husband used the word “abuse” and was angry about it. People in their late 60s-70s should not be working those kind of hours in a physically exhausting job. The church abuses volunteers.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:42 pm

alas wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:50 pm
About senior missionaries, hubby and I have a relative who is on a senior mission with her husband. They kind of complained that they have them working 18 hour days, 6 days a week, and Sunday too if a car needs work so the important people can use it. Retired seniors working 18 hours. And his is not an office job. He maintains the fleet of automobiles used by the mission. He is responsible for keeping the cars maintained, change the oil, make repairs, and so on. Oh, he has an assistant to do some of the harder physical stuff, like lugging tires around to rotate them, and crawl under for oil change. The tools are no more than a regular guy would have in his home garage, so he is doing all basic maintenance on some 30 cars, without the professional tools a real mechanic would have. In real life, he was a white collar professional. Now he is a beginning level auto mechanic for free at about 100+ hours a week and paying good money so the church doesn’t have to hire someone. They are both exhausted. Even my TBM husband used the word “abuse” and was angry about it. People in their late 60s-70s should not be working those kind of hours in a physically exhausting job. The church abuses volunteers.
That's horrible!!!
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:07 pm

lostinmiddlemormonism wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:25 pm
I'm not trying to be funny or anything, but has there been a single talk yet this conference that doesn't quote Rusty? Is this a new requirement? If you are going to speak in conference you better find away to include Rusty in the talk. Sheesh!
Not that I typically read an email from the ward EQ Pres, but I received one today that said the church handbook indicates that EQ lessons should be based on the latest general conf talks. I thought that was very interesting. It seems like if you're the current boss, you can start getting the whole company to start reading and quoting you. Where's the check and balance in God's kingdom on earth? If things start going south, how does God right the ship? Killing off bad leaders until you get to the one you want?

That sounds like a rather lame plan for the creator of the universe.

Random

Post by Random » Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:22 pm

alas wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:50 pm
Wow! That's horrible! :x
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:10 am

Church Newsroom wrote:Speakers who quote President Nelson in their Conference talks are eligible for a 10% tithing deduction, for this year only.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Random

Post by Random » Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:58 pm

moksha wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:10 am
Church Newsroom wrote:Speakers who quote President Nelson in their Conference talks are eligible for a 10% tithing deduction, for this year only.
:lol: :lol:
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK