My friend is speaking in conference tomorrow...

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

My friend is speaking in conference tomorrow...

Post by Hagoth » Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:24 pm

...but I won't be watching. I would, but I'm travelling, so I'll have to catch up later when they release the video. In the meantime, I would appreciate a report from anyone who is subjecting themselves to sitting through the session.

Kimo Esplin, Sunday afternoon session.

Thanks!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

MoPag

Re: My friend is speaking in conference tomorrow...

Post by MoPag » Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:33 am

Cool! He'll get bonus points for being your friend!
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:43 pm

He did a good job!!
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:52 pm

MoPag wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:43 pm
He did a good job!!
Glad to hear it. For a TBM, speaking in GC is about as prime time as it gets. Must be terrifying.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait » Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:15 am

I'd never heard of this guy Kimo, so I looked him up. Interesting story about him in the Church News a while back, his dad then mom being killed in different automobile accidents. That would be difficult to deal with.

Sounds like a good chap so let's hope for the best. Who knows, he could be another Dieter U, unless the other GAs drag him down.

Haven't listened to his talk but plan to.
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:46 pm

He's the only church leader I have met who actually read the the essays. He taught me to nuance the recommend questions. Admits Joseph's Egyotian Grammer and alphabet is "gibberish." Was very troubled by the POX knew it wouldnt last.

I have the same concern. Now that the church has complete control of his life I worry that the thinking part of his brain will be subdued and consumed.

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:42 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:46 pm
I have the same concern. Now that the church has complete control of his life I worry that the thinking part of his brain will be subdued and consumed.
I doubt that he is the only GA who has thought about things at least somewhat realistically. Is it possible that they just avoid causing concerns for the higher ups? My impression is that loyalty is valued above all else, even orthodoxy. I wonder if the GAs and higher officers can talk to each other about their worries or if that would be considered disloyal. Is it just their public statements that raise concerns?