Doomsday family from Arizona

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
moksha

Doomsday family from Arizona

Post by moksha » Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:07 am

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2023/10/d ... r-answers/
IDAHO FALLS — An Arizona family is desperate for their loved ones to return home after they abruptly bought thousands of dollars of survival gear, boarded a plane for Idaho and cut off all communication because they believe the Second Coming of Jesus Christ is imminent.

At the center of the situation is 16-year-old Blaze Thibaudeau, who has been reported missing to law enforcement and may be in danger, according to his father, Ben Thibaudeau.

“They see him as a Davidic servant (chosen individual) who plays a significant role in the Savior’s return. They feel they needed to take him to an undisclosed location where he would receive his calling and understand his role in the Second Coming,” Ben tells EastIdahoNews.com. “I fear for his safety, especially if my son is contentious, rebellious or belligerent. I fear that my brother-in-law would restrain him or do something that would incapacitate him.”

Blaze is with his mother, Spring Thibaudeau; his 23-year-old sister, Abi Snarr; and his uncle Brooke Hale, who is Spring’s brother. Nobody in the family knows where they are and none of them have been heard from since Monday, although the boy is legally required to be returned to his father.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Jeffret

Re: Doomsday family from Arizona

Post by Jeffret » Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:08 am

This is probably yet another Thom Harrison / "Visions of Glory" connection.
"Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:12 pm

GILBERT, AZ (3TV/CBS 5) — The search for a missing 16-year-old Gilbert boy is over, as he was found thousands of miles away. The Gilbert Police Department said on Friday night, Blaze Thibaudeau was located safely at the Alcan Port of Entry along the eastern Alaska border. He was with his mother, Spring Thibaudeau, who doesn’t have custody of him, his uncle Brook Hale and his sister Abigail Thibaudeau, who also goes by Abi. Spring Thibaudeau and Hale had warrants out for their arrests in connection to the disappearance, and Alaska State Troopers arrested them. It’s unclear when they will be extradited to Arizona.
https://www.azfamily.com/2023/10/27/gil ... utType=amp
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:41 am

The teen’s father, Ben Thibaudeau, told East Idaho News that his wife, daughter, and brother-in-law see Blaze as a “Davidic servant who plays a significant role in the Savior’s return.” He said Spring became interested in end-of-days religious topics in 2015 while the couple attended The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and that she gradually became obsessed with authors who wrote about doomsday and the Second Coming of Jesus Christ.
Jeffret, hit the nail on the head with that Visions of Glory book. It serves as the solvent for LDS minds coming unglued.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:10 am

The boy was found safe! Mom and the uncle have been arrested.

https://www.gilbertaz.gov/Home/Componen ... s%2fpolice

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:28 am

Not sure if this aligns with the gold or melamine plates, but Mormon preppers who stockpile alcohol and cigarettes can barter with the bad habit zombies to obtain extra food for their families. Zombies are more interested in feeding their habits than their families. That is why you never hear zombie family values praised, yet even South Park knows about Mormon Family Values.

Melamine plates do not chip like stoneware or porcelain, although they are not a good medium for storing an ancient system of pictographic writings. It is a matter of trade-offs. If melamine plates then you have efficient Mormon preppers.
-- Moksha

Jeffret

Post by Jeffret » Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:21 am

Oh, thank goodness! I feared for the worst.
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:21 am

The church would completely deny that they play ANY part in these tragedies, but they only lie to themselves. It's their crappy paradigm they promulgate to easily frightened people to goad them into paying their tithing.

Hinkley was right.

It's the biggest fraud ever foisted on the masses.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:49 am

Have you noticed that all of these crazy stories share a common word? It may not be central to the story, but it seems to always be there somewhere. That word is Idaho. Why is that?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Jeffret

Post by Jeffret » Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:35 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:49 am
Have you noticed that all of these crazy stories share a common word? It may not be central to the story, but it seems to always be there somewhere. That word is Idaho. Why is that?
It's more Arizona / Utah / Idaho. Which share a different common word.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:40 pm

Here’s a link to the court documents.

https://www.scribd.com/document/6811481 ... -documents
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:02 am

Distressing and weird for sure, and I feel like I know maybe a dozen or so folks from my neck of the desert who are less than a half standard deviation away from receiving a vision to pack their family into a bunker or trek to Idaho or Missouri, and maybe the only thing keeping them from falling headlong into a morass of spiritual lunacy is a decent job and a kid or two who would yell hell no.

I've heard some crazy ass things from kids about their nutty parents--parents that happen to be steeped deep into Mormon religion and buried inside a subculture where oils trump medicine, lights and prayers trump medical visits, and Trump trumps reality.

When necessary, child safety issues have trumped confidentiality. But not typically. And you can't tell a child their religion is whacked, especially as practiced by their family. Many of the kids think it's goofy, and most can't wait to get out from under the roof, but you wonder how much will filter down to the next generation.

Where did the craziness start? My MIL subscribed to right wing publications, used oils and potions and weird diets on her family with high faith that was based on weird anecdotal word of mouth from other Mormons. While the fads seemed to run their course, there was always something. She even got rid of non melanoma skin cancer on herself using some type of toxic mud concoction that also destroyed a good amount of healthy skin. Derm doc said yeah it worked to get rid of the cancer but.. so would a chain saw. There are easier and safer ways, but she was interested in "natural" "organic" non medical treatments approved by other Mormons. And she wasn't an idiot. To my knowledge, none of the weird diets or remedies were continued with any of her children. It probably helped that while their father supported their mom,
he never pushed it , and secretly skirted it whenever he had a chance for a fast food burger.

But we're all susceptible to snake oil remedies and simple solutions with remarkable anecdotal evidence. Idk how many times I've challenged someone trying to sell me or give me a powerful new product. That sounds great! Show me the data. Not just what Billy Bob said but an actual scientific study. Oh there aren't any yet? Still so new? Well hey, maybe You could test it. I'll show you how to set up the experiment. Go find about 100 volunteers willing to take part. We'll see if we can get it published. I say that but I'm not innocent. I've peddled more than one cure-all, which is something i regret. I feel bad for anyone i talked into buying something that had no real scientific basis. Kinda like I feel bad for peddling the Mormon product. I was pretty good at that. I guess it's pointless to feel bad. Hell, I've sold donuts. Ain't that just the healthiest thing. Caveat Emptor.

Getting to my point and question... where does the doomsday thing start? Families steeped in deep doctrine with more ersatz faith than common sense? Idk. How hard is it to change thought patterns? I feel like it's probably easier to become immersed in an isolated ideology in our world today due to the monetization of our attention. If the info is all the same, we start to believe that's all there is. A few years ago I had a young man tell me that it didn't really matter what he chose to do after high school because the second coming would be here by then.

Well.. I thought that once too. I'm glad I went ahead and had another plan.

Maybe it's easier to be a doomsdayer. It could simplify your world. Missions are relatively simple-- no job, no school, no romantic relationship. Maybe simplicity is attractive to a would-be doomsday er

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:00 pm

Cnsl1 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:02 am
A few years ago I had a young man tell me that it didn't really matter what he chose to do after high school because the second coming would be here by then.
My friend was worried about his relatives who had decided not to let their kids go to school, even homeschool, because it was a waste of time. They had a testimony that Jesus was going to show up any day, so why waste time on education or developing work skills? They kept the kids at home in a perpetual state of Primary activities, rather than running the risk of soiling their souls with friendships and social activities.

That was over 20 years ago, and I have wondered how things turned out for those kids.

I have also wondered about those families that liquidated their assets and moved into Idaho tent communities because of Julie Rowe's prophecies. Does anybody know any of those people and what happened when things didn't go as planned?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."