Mom would have been a great bishop!

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
deacon blues

Mom would have been a great bishop!

Post by deacon blues » Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:33 am

I was reflecting on my dear, departed mother and the thought occurred to me how she was a great listener and counselor. She was always busy in Relief Society, often serving in the presidencies of the ward and stake. Then it occurred to me: she would have been a great bishop. The bishops I had were OK, some better than others, but they didn't inspire the trust that my mother did. In fact she and dad might have combined to make a great bishop. Dad would represent the "works" side and Mom the "grace" side.
I recollect that the obscure "Anointed Quorum" or "Quorum of the Anointed" was apparently intended to be presided over by Joseph and Emma. No wonder we hear so little about it nowadays.
I can think of several sisters in our ward that would be great bishops. :D Oh well. :?
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Bonfire

Re: Mom would have been a great bishop!

Post by Bonfire » Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:28 pm

What makes a great bishop?

To me the members doing their ministering, canning, callings, or personal development is the most critical part in the church.

What the bishop does is secondary.
“Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God; “For, behold, the Lord your Redeemer suffered death in the flesh; wherefore he suffered the pain of all men, that all men might repent and come unto him” (D&C 18:10–11).

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:10 pm

The At Last She Said It podcast had a good episode about this. In a world where women can be CEO’s, Doctors, Astronauts, etc… they surely are qualified to be a Bishop.

Imagine masturbation and worthiness interviews with a woman Bishop! Son, you need to clean up after yourself!

Yo Momma is so righteous she could be the Bishop if the church allowed women to hold the priesthood!

Your mother sounds like she was an amazing woman!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:01 am

I wonder if the way many women are acculturated makes them more suited to be good bishops than men?

Seems to me that anyone in the helping professions would have their skills stunted by being raised in a right-wing political environment. Could you imagine St. Francis of Assisi spending any of his formative years in Provo? A dog-eat-dog view of a world that praises greed also seems unconducive to spirituality.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha