Them

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Linked

Them

Post by Linked » Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:15 pm

As a believer my ingroup was Mormons, and my outgroup was "the world". There was a grey area for bad-acting mormons and good-acting not mormons. A big part of my faith transition was realizing that my values didn't align with my ingroup, I started seeing "them" among "us".

I still haven't discovered a large group that I can claim as my ingroup, it just seems to shrink further and further. This is a problem. Ideally I could find a way to expand my ingroup to include everyone, rather than exclude everyone...

I think this is something Rueben would have interesting comments about, but he no longer visits because he felt outgrouped by us and responded by outgrouping us.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Ghost

Re: Them

Post by Ghost » Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:51 pm

I don't remember whether it was on NOM or elsewhere that someone recently said that we as humans have a desire for community but in recent years many have had to settle for merely being part of an audience instead of a true community.

While I don't think I ever totally fit in with Mormons even at my most active, that group was close enough for a good part of my life. I've found that the best I can hope for is to find other communities that are close enough. Even that can be a challenge.

And I guess there are always points where community (often good) overlaps with tribalism (often bad).

Also,

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:25 pm

I always have warm thoughts regarding the kindness and service orientation of Mormons. As individuals they are A-okay.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait » Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:47 pm

moksha wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:25 pm
I always have warm thoughts regarding the kindness and service orientation of Mormons. As individuals they are A-okay.
I'll have to go along with moksa. Most of the Mormons I've rubbed shoulders with in regards to serving others is heartwarming.

When I'm with good ones, it feels like home. These are the ones who don't mind referring to Mormons as Mormons...good grief....and I'd say they are the the common folk. Not to be trite, but they are the ones who feel good when they do good things and do not feel good when they don't and they are mature enough to know the difference.
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:58 pm

Gatorbait wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:47 pm
[I'll have to go along with moksa.
They are the Bishop Graeys and the Ma and Pa Kettles of Mormonism. They are throughout the Church and constitute its major truth. They should be recognized and treasured.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Angel

Post by Angel » Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:20 am

There are healthy, and unhealthy relashionships.

Codependent, controlling, 100% all-in sheeple =conformity

Interdependent, healthy self-reliance, respectful - independent thought.

I think healthy relashionships require some percentage of being independent, not fully agreeing. It's a transition, a different connection to others.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:29 am

Linked wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:15 pm
I still haven't discovered a large group that I can claim as my ingroup, it just seems to shrink further and further. This is a problem. Ideally I could find a way to expand my ingroup to include everyone, rather than exclude everyone...
US: Humans.

THEM: ??? Aliens?

Unfortunately, us humans have a hard time considering all humans as our ingroup.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:15 pm

moksha wrote:
Similarly, I always have warm thoughts regarding old sci-fi films with giant ants.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Linked

Post by Linked » Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:10 pm

Ghost wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:51 pm
I don't remember whether it was on NOM or elsewhere that someone recently said that we as humans have a desire for community but in recent years many have had to settle for merely being part of an audience instead of a true community.

While I don't think I ever totally fit in with Mormons even at my most active, that group was close enough for a good part of my life. I've found that the best I can hope for is to find other communities that are close enough. Even that can be a challenge.

And I guess there are always points where community (often good) overlaps with tribalism (often bad).

Also,

Hahaha, I wasn't sure if anyone else had seen this, glad to see you got to enjoy this movie too!

When I was in, I felt a deeply satisfying connection to the community despite the inconsistencies of belief all around me. It seems that it may be impossible to replicate without the rose-colored glasses I used to have.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Linked

Post by Linked » Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:12 pm

moksha wrote:
I struggle to overlook the ulterior motive behind the kindness. They may deny it, even to themselves, but it's so core to being mormon that it would be a miracle if it weren't there. And I find that ulterior motive uglier than the kindness is beautiful.

Bonfire

Post by Bonfire » Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:48 am

Growing up out East there was a community center with a pool. At this gathering place neighbors would meet to discuss local issues, hold parties, or enjoy each others' talents.
There was even a time that our church building in Virginia was abandoned because there was a disease in the air ducts. We had to meet in a school instead.
I arrived at an understanding why church buildings are not used as community centers, as they are considered to be sacred gathering places.
Recently I have described a college to gather "them" among "us."
“Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God; “For, behold, the Lord your Redeemer suffered death in the flesh; wherefore he suffered the pain of all men, that all men might repent and come unto him” (D&C 18:10–11).