TIL: Nauvoo Expositor Is Part of 7th Grade Utah History

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Linked

TIL: Nauvoo Expositor Is Part of 7th Grade Utah History

Post by Linked » Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:01 pm

My 7th grader learned about the Nauvoo Expositor in his Utah History class at school. I don't remember learning about that in my Utah History class, but maybe I forgot. I guess it's an important part of the mormon pioneers leaving Nauvoo for Utah, but it caught me off guard.

Our conversation started at North Korea --> Why free speech is important --> First amendment --> Exceptions to the First amendment --> Libel. I was impressed when he said he knew what libel was. Then shocked when he said that he had learned about it in Utah history; something about a newspaper and something that the church guy thought was libel.

Maybe I need to have our own lesson about it at home...
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Gatorbait

Re: TIL: Nauvoo Expositor Is Part of 7th Grade Utah History

Post by Gatorbait » Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:58 pm

Seems to be an interesting nugget of history as it pertains to Mormons, who settled Utah more or less.

It's the thing that landed JS in jail at Carthage together with his brother Hyrum, which I've never sorted out in my mind why Hyrum was there...anyway, it is what lead to Joseph and Hyrum Smith's untimely deaths. Changed the course of Mormonism because, although the saints where thinking they'd head our west sometime soon, it was Brigham Young who got them there and not JS.

Seems to me a good thing to teach in Utah history, on any level. Good thing to know, in my opinion, regardless of whether one is religious or not.

Thanks for sharing Linked
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell

Bonfire

Post by Bonfire » Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:37 pm

There are a couple quick highlights I recall in the Nauvoo Expositor that stand out to me:
1. The courts in a republic change hearing dates without notice to protect the rich or empowered.
2. Property sold higher than the purchase price without an increase in industry causes societal collapse.
“Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God; “For, behold, the Lord your Redeemer suffered death in the flesh; wherefore he suffered the pain of all men, that all men might repent and come unto him” (D&C 18:10–11).

Angel

Post by Angel » Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:43 pm

JS was a pedophile, is this what was published?
The wicked take the truth to be hard...

I love that Star wars had good guys that looked like an ugly squid, and bad guys who appeared as kind friendly leaders.

Great for kids to learn there are wolves in sheep's clothing, that some church leaders are pedophiles, and great lengths are spent to hide truth.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:57 am

The Nauvoo Expositer incident is an example of the importance of examining all sides of the story. When I read Joseph Smith's History of the Church it said the Nauvoo Expositor was a "slanderous and libelous paper." That was considered an complete explanation in my 1970's Seminary and Ricks College religion classes.
When I actually read the paper, and in the context of Joseph Smith's teachings, especially secret teachings, of the period it was obvious there was a lot of truth to the Expositor.
7th grade Utah history teachers are like LDS bishops- there is a likelihood of "roulette" and biased views to be considered.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

alas

Post by alas » Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:20 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:57 am
The Nauvoo Expositer incident is an example of the importance of examining all sides of the story. When I read Joseph Smith's History of the Church it said the Nauvoo Expositor was a "slanderous and libelous paper." That was considered an complete explanation in my 1970's Seminary and Ricks College religion classes.
When I actually read the paper, and in the context of Joseph Smith's teachings, especially secret teachings, of the period it was obvious there was a lot of truth to the Expositor.
7th grade Utah history teachers are like LDS bishops- there is a likelihood of "roulette" and biased views to be considered.
I remember Utah history from Seventh grade and we covered the whole Expositer issue totally from the church’s side. The news paper had libeled Joseph, and therefore he was within his rights to trash the newspaper.

See, I had parents who read “No Man Knows My History” before I was even born, and although they pretended to be good Mormons and made us go to church, once in a while they would say something. Like when Jim Jones did his thing, and my mother commented that he “was just like Joseph Smith with abusing women sexually by telling them God commanded it.” So, anyway, I already knew the newspaper printed the truth and did not tell horrible lies. So, the Utah history lesson hit me as a bunch of propaganda.

So, yes have a real lesson at home and make sure your kid knows that libel means telling lies about someone to ruin their reputation, not blowing the whistle on a con man.

Linked

Post by Linked » Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:32 pm

Gatorbait wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:58 pm
Seems to be an interesting nugget of history as it pertains to Mormons, who settled Utah more or less.

It's the thing that landed JS in jail at Carthage together with his brother Hyrum, which I've never sorted out in my mind why Hyrum was there...anyway, it is what lead to Joseph and Hyrum Smith's untimely deaths. Changed the course of Mormonism because, although the saints where thinking they'd head our west sometime soon, it was Brigham Young who got them there and not JS.

Seems to me a good thing to teach in Utah history, on any level. Good thing to know, in my opinion, regardless of whether one is religious or not.

Thanks for sharing Linked
Agreed, this is an important part of Utah history and should be taught. It's just such a landmine with kids of mormons and exmormons. I noticed that my son said that "the church guy thought it was libel" instead of "it was libel", a pretty big distinction, so maybe they are successfully walking that tightrope.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Linked

Post by Linked » Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:40 pm

Angel wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:43 pm
JS was a pedophile, is this what was published?
The wicked take the truth to be hard...

I love that Star wars had good guys that looked like an ugly squid, and bad guys who appeared as kind friendly leaders.

Great for kids to learn there are wolves in sheep's clothing, that some church leaders are pedophiles, and great lengths are spent to hide truth.
They published about Joseph Smith's "vicious principles", and his "abominations and whoredoms." But it sounds like they taught it in a way to give space for believers. This is Utah after all.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:00 pm

Bonfire wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:37 pm
There are a couple quick highlights I recall in the Nauvoo Expositor that stand out to me:
1. The courts in a republic change hearing dates without notice to protect the rich or empowered.
2. Property sold higher than the purchase price without an increase in industry causes societal collapse.
Yup, that about covers it. There was also a nice poem in there, if I recall correctly.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."