Elder Ballard has died

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Mayan_Elephant

Re: Elder Ballard has died

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:22 am

Dirty Bird wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:40 am
Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:32 pm
MoPag wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:09 pm

I vote for Lindsay Hansen Park, Natasha Helfer, Julie Hanks, and Jennifer Finnlyson Fife.
All in favor, please manifest it!

Add Cynthia Woodward and Susan Hinckley and bring it up to an even 50% of the Q12!

Russell M Nelson could cement his legacy in two simple steps without even having to pick up a lighted pen!

Step 1:
Ordain the six women listed above with priesthood.
Announce them as the new apostles.

Step 2:
Die
Serious question, when you see a group of white men at the top of an organization, do you automatically think that adding a woman/women or POC will automatically make that organization better instead of having all white men?
I nominate Greta.
“Not ripe in spring, no standing by summer, Laches by fall, and moot by winter.”

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:15 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:32 pm
Russell M Nelson could cement his legacy in two simple steps without even having to pick up a lighted pen!

Step 1:
Ordain the six women listed above with priesthood.
Announce them as the new apostles.

Step 2:
Die
Or the reverse order. Imagine this. A prophet dies but leaves behind a revelation from God Almighty that calls for a radical change like this, something he believed the church really needs but was afraid to pull it off in his own lifetime. And it's worded as a hard-core, honest to God, no bones about it revelation that can't be interpreted as speakingasaman™. It would have all the essential language, "Behold I am Alpha and Omega...," "I command thee..." "thus sayeth the Lord thy God," this is my work and my glory," "lest I visit thee with a curse,"

Would the remaining church leaders feel compelled, or even consider honoring it?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:20 am

p.s. don't get your hopes up, folks:

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2023/11 ... f-society/
‘A slap in the face’: LDS Relief Society leaders ordered off the stand
Area president puts an end to this Bay Area tradition. Many women are asking: Why?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:11 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:20 am
p.s. don't get your hopes up, folks:

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2023/11 ... f-society/
‘A slap in the face’: LDS Relief Society leaders ordered off the stand
Area president puts an end to this Bay Area tradition. Many women are asking: Why?
I’m happy to see this get called out in an article. The story came to light in one of the At Last She Said it podcast episodes.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:24 pm

I would love to see the women of the church get together for a Lysistrata kind of moment. Either withholding sex, like in the play, or just refusing to show up on Sunday until things change, either would be equally devastating to the patriarchy.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:08 am

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:15 am
Or the reverse order. Imagine this. A prophet dies but leaves behind a revelation from God Almighty that calls for a radical change like this, something he believed the church really needs but was afraid to pull it off in his own lifetime. And it's worded as a hard-core, honest to God, no bones about it revelation that can't be interpreted as speakingasaman™. It would have all the essential language, "Behold I am Alpha and Omega...," "I command thee..." "thus sayeth the Lord thy God," this is my work and my glory," "lest I visit thee with a curse,"

Would the remaining church leaders feel compelled, or even consider honoring it?

Considering how the treat any not living church leader, I think such a revelation would get a fate similar to a document involving a pen knife and Joseph F. Smith's personal safe.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:45 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:24 pm
I would love to see the women of the church get together for a Lysistrata kind of moment. Either withholding sex, like in the play, or just refusing to show up on Sunday until things change, either would be equally devastating to the patriarchy.

I love it!

"A Sunday without the Sisters"

Sounds like a good movie.

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:50 pm

Imagine it.. a capella hymns that don't stay on tune. Little kids running all over the place. Teenagers talking. Babies crying. 1st counselor in the bishopric running to Circle K for sacrament bread because deacon Trevor's mom didn't remind him to bring the loaf to church.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:34 am

Cnsl1 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:50 pm
Imagine it.. a capella hymns that don't stay on tune. Little kids running all over the place. Teenagers talking. Babies crying. 1st counselor in the bishopric running to Circle K for sacrament bread because deacon Trevor's mom didn't remind him to bring the loaf to church.
...cats and dogs lying down together...