Elder Ballard has died

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

Elder Ballard has died

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:51 am

Three months earlier and his legacy would have been different.

https://www.thechurchnews.com/leaders/2 ... e-apostles
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

jfro18

Re: Elder Ballard has died

Post by jfro18 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:59 am

I don't think his legacy is altered whatsoever in the minds of believers... they either ignore the Tim Ballard stuff or excuse it.

It certainly does make the church's job a lot easier is deflecting any accusations that might come from the Tim Ballard stuff now.

And, no, I am NOT implying that they had someone like John Wick take Ballard out... (I think I'd have to genuinely clarify that if I were to say that on Twitter :lol: )

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:28 am

I hadn’t thought about the John Wick connection.

Hmmmm…

A potential rise for Uchtdorf to be prophet looks closer to a reality. A time I would have looked forward to. Now I just don’t care.

If they do it right, when Nelson, Erying, and Holland follow Ballard in the next 3 months, they should all be replaced by women. Then 30% of the Q12 would be women. That’s a start to modernize the church and stop women from leaving in droves!

Bring in more women Apostles!

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:06 pm

Wow just woke up and saw this. He had some decent NOMference scores over the more recent years. Maybe he'll get reincarnated as something kind of cool.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:09 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:28 am

Hmmmm…

A potential rise for Uchtdorf to be prophet looks closer to a reality. A time I would have looked forward to. Now I just don’t care.

If they do it right, when Nelson, Erying, and Holland follow Ballard in the next 3 months, they should all be replaced by women. Then 30% of the Q12 would be women. That’s a start to modernize the church and stop women from leaving in droves!

I vote for Lindsay Hansen Park, Natasha Helfer, Julie Hanks, and Jennifer Finnlyson Fife.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:32 pm

MoPag wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:09 pm
Red Ryder wrote:

I vote for Lindsay Hansen Park, Natasha Helfer, Julie Hanks, and Jennifer Finnlyson Fife.
All in favor, please manifest it!

Add Cynthia Woodward and Susan Hinckley and bring it up to an even 50% of the Q12!

Russell M Nelson could cement his legacy in two simple steps without even having to pick up a lighted pen!

Step 1:
Ordain the six women listed above with priesthood.
Announce them as the new apostles.

Step 2:
Die

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:44 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:59 am
And, no, I am NOT implying that they had someone like John Wick take Ballard out... (I think I'd have to genuinely clarify that if I were to say that on Twitter :lol: )
I'm thinking the stress from being "outed" regarding his exploits with Timmy and Timmy's fraudulent "business" may have contributed slightly to his demise?

95 is a good run though. Condolences to his family who will be missing him. Too bad he spent his retirement years working too much for a giant real-estate corporation / hedge fund.

While we're promoting the idea of women filling these positions, why don't they have Barbara Ballard slip into her husband's big red chair? Maybe that should be a rule: Widows of Q15 get promoted to Q15 when hubby dies. (Or maybe those nice ladies should just spend more time with their grandkids.)

And just for fun, I borrowed this from Reddit. I think this is one of the only photos of one of the Q15's "better half"(s) that I've seen where she's actually smiling:
BarbaraBallard.jpg
BarbaraBallard.jpg (99.08 KiB) Viewed 19293 times
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:15 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:59 am
It certainly does make the church's job a lot easier is deflecting any accusations that might come from the Tim Ballard stuff now.

A former state legislator observed to me that it seemed VERY convenient just before he had to give depositions.

Maybe Thom Harrison or one of his gang saw evil spirits entering through the invisible hole in the top of Elder Ballard's head, and got the message out that it would be a favor to him to release his body, should some Visions of Glory thug see an opportunity. I'm being facetious, but now that I think about it, that is pretty much what happened to Tylee and J.J.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:24 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:44 pm

While we're promoting the idea of women filling these positions, why don't they have Barbara Ballard slip into her husband's big red chair? Maybe that should be a rule: Widows of Q15 get promoted to Q15 when hubby dies. (Or maybe those nice ladies should just spend more time with their grandkids.)
She died in 2018.

Wonderment

Post by Wonderment » Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:14 pm

Red Ryder wrote:

Hmmmm…

This would be an amazing step in modernizing the church. 8-) I pray that it will happen someday, hopefully sooner than later. - Wndr.

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:16 am

Death is sad, but this is convenient for the Church since Elder Ballard's reaching to the tithing roles to peddle his for-profit partnership with Tim Ballard does show the Church was lying about that tithing information.

Speaking of John Wicke, what about a 19th-century assassin movie starring Orin Porter Rockwell, escaping from and working his way back into the good graces of the Danites?

Nemo the Mormon predicts Elder Ahmad S. Corbitt as the next apostle.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:18 am

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:15 pm
A former state legislator observed to me that it seemed VERY convenient just before he had to give depositions.
What if they are faking his death to avoid giving depositions? At 95, the likelihood he actually died is 99.99% in my mind, but that leaves a .01% chance they faked it. Then he could just be home, out of the spotlight and able to watch his own funeral and bask in LDS glory as a former servant of the lord who gave everything, including his life and tithing information.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:28 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:24 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:44 pm

She died in 2018.
:cry:

Oops. Guess I'm a bit out of the loop.

Hopefully Barbara and her Hubby are now happy in their Super VIP Heaven Mansion.- (She likely deserves it more than he does.)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:34 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:18 am
Hagoth wrote:
What if they are faking his death to avoid giving depositions? At 95, the likelihood he actually died is 99.99% in my mind, but that leaves a .01% chance they faked it. Then he could just be home, out of the spotlight and able to watch his own funeral and bask in LDS glory as a former servant of the lord who gave everything, including his life and tithing information.
I wish real life could be that interesting.

In the meantime, I suppose there's no talk of an autopsy or toxicology report? But then at his age you could probably have bumped him off by showing him a picture of someone with bare shoulders in the Relief Society room.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:29 am

Hagoth wrote:

Maybe Thom Harrison or one of his gang saw evil spirits entering through the invisible hole in the top of Elder Ballard's head, and got the message out that it would be a favor to him to release his body, should some Visions of Glory thug see an opportunity. I'm being facetious, but now that I think about it, that is pretty much what happened to Tylee and J.J.
As soon a I heard the news I thought the same thing Hagoth. Sure, he was like 90+ years old, but the timing of this departure was quite convenient to the corporation, given the pending litigation and potential for putting Russel on the stand to testify under oath. This is a big advantage for TSCC to have really old dudes at the top, it's easy to knock them off if when it's convenient and nobody would likey question (except us infidels). Even Dieter could have a heart attack or stroke and boom, he gone.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:40 am

RubinHighlander wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:29 am
Hagoth wrote:

As soon a I heard the news I thought the same thing Hagoth. Sure, he was like 90+ years old, but the timing of this departure was quite convenient to the corporation, given the pending litigation and potential for putting Russel on the stand to testify under oath. This is a big advantage for TSCC to have really old dudes at the top, it's easy to knock them off if when it's convenient and nobody would likey question (except us infidels). Even Dieter could have a heart attack or stroke and boom, he gone.
Brigham Young is doing an after-life Happy Dance right now because you two.

"How Convenient" was the first thought that crossed my mind when hearing the news of Melvin's passing; Though I thought that maybe Melvin took it upon himself to fulfill Brigham's "atonement" fetish.

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:59 am

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:40 am

"How Convenient" was the first thought that crossed my mind when hearing the news of Melvin's passing; Though I thought that maybe Melvin took it upon himself to fulfill Brigham's "atonement" fetish.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait » Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:56 pm

He's never been one of my faves, but I did not dislike him.

Along with the right to have your own opinion but not your own facts is the whole business of calling the church anything but the whole name. We all agree that's folly and nonsense, and Ballard was part of that movement.

I'll give the chap points for one thing though, and that is having the guts to tell members of the church that the "only true bestest and so on and so forth" church has had problemos a plenty starting with peep stones, and on to polygamy and that if you search- and I mean they don't make it easy- but if you search the church website you'll be able to find these things.

"Gone are the days when the church can say, oh that doesn't matter- don't worry about it. There's a good lad, sit down and shut up. There ya go."
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell

Dirty Bird

Post by Dirty Bird » Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:40 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:32 pm
MoPag wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:09 pm
Red Ryder wrote:

All in favor, please manifest it!

Add Cynthia Woodward and Susan Hinckley and bring it up to an even 50% of the Q12!

Russell M Nelson could cement his legacy in two simple steps without even having to pick up a lighted pen!

Step 1:
Ordain the six women listed above with priesthood.
Announce them as the new apostles.

Step 2:
Die
Serious question, when you see a group of white men at the top of an organization, do you automatically think that adding a woman/women or POC will automatically make that organization better instead of having all white men?

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:58 am

Dirty Bird wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:40 am
Serious question, when you see a group of white men at the top of an organization, do you automatically think that adding a woman/women or POC will automatically make that organization better instead of having all white men?
I think when you never see a woman even considered for 200 years, you just might have a problem. Especially if the all-men group has consistently done serious harm to a lot of women. Maybe it would at least be worth a try to allow a female voice to be heard?

Serious question: what is wrong with having representation from women?