My donation history

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

My donation history

Post by Hagoth » Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:36 pm

I was wondering if there is any way to see how much I have donated to the church. I went to my LDS(victory for Satan).org* account and looked at the donation history. It only goes back to 2013. I would love to know how much I have given over my lifetime. Certainly in the 6 figures.

I am wondering why it only goes back to 2013. Do they artificially cap visibility to your donations at 10 years, or is it something else? The wording on the tithing slips changed in 2012, so 2013 would be the first full year that members were warned that their donation became property of the church to use at its own discretion.

Isn't that also about the time the church created the shell companies to hide its wealth?

Are there dots here that can be connected?

p.s I am still wondering if there's anyway, beyond my VictoryForSatan.org account that I can see my entire donation history.

*I know they have officially changed it to SomethingJesusSomething.org, but LDS.org still works and I suspect it's what most people use to avoid carpel tunnel syndrome.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Red Ryder

Re: My donation history

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:07 pm

Mine from 2013-2023:

$0

Bishop once asked why I didn’t give anything at all??

I’m willing to donate when you can’t keep the lights on.
I’m willing to donate when the consolidated financial statements are publicly available.

Apparently they didn’t need my donations because they didn’t give me financials to read or ask for the lights to turn back on.

Hagoth, see if you can call the church office building and tell them you’re having to amend all your tax returns back to 1978.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:21 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:07 pm
Mine from 2013-2023:

$0
Mine was almost $8K even though my faith crisis spanned much of that period.
Red Ryder wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:07 pm
Hagoth, see if you can call the church office building and tell them you’re having to amend all your tax returns back to 1978...
...in preparation for joining a class action suit!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:07 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:36 pm
I am wondering why it only goes back to 2013. Do they artificially cap visibility to your donations at 10 years, or is it something else?
I've checked my donation history from time to time over the years. My experience is that there's a 10 year cap on how far back you can go. Next year you'll only be able to go back to 2014.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:16 pm

Why would any of Y'all go back and check your donation history? Why put yourself through that? WHY!?!?!

I really shouldn't say that though: my journey to finding the truth about LD$-Inc. started 'round 2010, so my available donation history would show $10 or $20 dollars here or there tossed into a fancy string-tied blue envelope when my better half accidentally answers the door when ~12-year-old bill-collectors show up on Sunday.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Wonderment

Post by Wonderment » Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:10 pm

Like other wealthy churches, the donations they take in are seen as donations to God and to bringing forth the Kingdom on earth. Or at least that is what the members are told. The leadership can use some high pressure, guilt-inducing sales tactics, i.e., "Who would withhold God's share from God?" That is why people cringe when they look back and see how much they donated.

I had a friend who was a devout TBM, never married. She was very steadfast about tithing a full amount. At age 30, she got a job as the building and facilities maintenance secretary for a stake in the midwest. They had a small retirement benefits program, with the provision that an employee who worked for at least 30 years and stayed in the job until at least age 62, would be fully vested in the retirement benefits.

She had no husband and no children, so her life and career was working as a building and maintenance secretary. She managed to support herself, pay into the retirement benefits program, and also pay a full tithe.

But when she turned age 61, one year short of eligibility for retirement w/ benefits, something happened. The stake announced that they would no longer have an in-house facilities maintenance program. They were outsourcing facilities maintenance to a company in another state. Everyone who worked in facilities maintenance was being laid off. She was laid off at age 61, with no way to claim her retirement benefits. The stake president would not agree to give her that extra year as part of a severance package. She lost those benefits. She was deeply disappointed, but she explained that she understood that it was the "corporation" who made the decision, and the corporation was different than God's kingdom on earth.

I felt very sad for her, because a hugely wealthy entity had done this to one of their employees -- and she felt that her loyalty was not reciprocated. But my conclusion was this --- they don't reciprocate in humanitarian or personal aid in any way that equates to what they take in. They really do not need any more wealth -- and this goes for other churches organizations also.
Hagoth and others -- you have every right to feel remorseful. But at least you saw the light (so to speak) and stopped donating when you did. There are people who tithe all their lives and only stop when they pass away. You manage to stop before that happened, so congratulations are in order. -- Wndr.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:34 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:16 pm
Why would any of Y'all go back and check your donation history? Why put yourself through that? WHY!?!?!
Class action suit!