Not really in to Thanksgiving...and the sappy prayers

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Gatorbait

Not really in to Thanksgiving...and the sappy prayers

Post by Gatorbait » Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:10 pm

Right out of the gate I'm going to say sorry- I know that it's good to have a US holiday on Thursday and all, get the four day weekend, and I like that, and the football, all the food, taking a walk to work off about 200 of the 20,000 calories we take in- I get that.

What I don't like, and never have, and this goes a ways back, are the long drawn out prayers that are more like a sermon, thankful that we have the temple and that daddy and mommy are sealed for time and all eternity and it goes on and on, and I'm struggling not to use a swear word here. My older brother's are the worst. The worst. Always the "thankful for all of our many many blessings'. Like the one 'many' isn't enough. Might "offend" God. Then the sermon prayer, good grief, on and on and the kids are fidgeting, looking at the floor, at the food getting cold. Looking at each other, checking texts, this thing is getting out of hand. It really is. Sigh. Keep those long prayers for conference and the like, the bozos who didn't get to talk so they are giving a sermon prayer and all. At least we can mute those idiots...or turn it off.

Why is it, that we feel like we need a calendar to tell us what we should or should not do on any certain day? Who cares about the pilgrims and the corn and the turkey for crying out loud? I don't. But I did return the Happy Thanksgiving texts and the like. I did. Yes, I know, and who the hell cares what I think? Right. Just venting. There, I feel better now, even if no one reads this at all, but I bet at least a few of you feel the same way.
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell

moksha

Re: Not really in to Thanksgiving...and the sappy prayers

Post by moksha » Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:24 pm

Ah yes, the celebratory turkey found in a stone box that brought joy and thanksgiving to all who partaketh. When all is said and done, you can look back years from now at the family gathering and wish you could see those people again. At least those are my memories as a child in Zion. Candied sweet potatoes, turkey, cranberries, hard rolls, wilted lettuce salad, sausage dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, and football. A lot to be thankful for.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Angel

Post by Angel » Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:11 pm

Family gatherings are always bitter-sweet. I used to feel more competitive than I do now - I think when younger there can be some bragging about kids/career/accomplishments - long prayers of blessings etc. With age, kids get settled, you see the ups and downs in everyone's lives, you've had your own success story so no longer need to prove yourself to anyone - it gets easier with time I think.

You can steer the conversation away with "remember when..." or discuss cooking strategies, board games, talk about work, talk about pets, health - you can learn the safe places to take conversations to.

Best wishes to everyone out there through the holidays. Be the change you want to see, dish out the love, enjoy the seasons.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait » Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:06 pm

Didn't mean to come off as ungrateful because I am.

Regarding the sappy long stupid prayers....well God will sort those out, so it's really none of my business...at least I didn't sneak a look at my phone. Damn near did.
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell