Anybody know anything about Patrick Kearon? New Apostle

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Post Reply
User avatar
Palerider
Posts: 2262
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:44 am

Anybody know anything about Patrick Kearon? New Apostle

Post by Palerider » Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:32 am

I guess they decided not to wait for conference, eh?
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Mayan_Elephant
Posts: 465
Joined: Thu May 12, 2022 4:57 pm

Re: Anybody know anything about Patrick Kearon? New Apostle

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:28 pm

Palerider wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:32 am
I guess they decided not to wait for conference, eh?
Owned a PR firm? You can't make this **** up. It writes itself, really. The new apostle owned a PR firm. I am laughing, out loud, for real.
“Not ripe in spring, no standing by summer, Laches by fall, and moot by winter.”

lostinmiddlemormonism
Posts: 864
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:40 am

Re: Anybody know anything about Patrick Kearon? New Apostle

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:58 pm

His talk on refugees was actually good. He doesn’t have or use a middle initial, that’s a plus. He’s a Brit. Overall, there could have been many worse picks.

I knew Rusty would wait until conference though…what if died and someone else got the legacy pick…the horror!!!

User avatar
wtfluff
Posts: 3653
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:20 pm
Location: Worshiping Gravity / Pulling Taffy

Re: Anybody know anything about Patrick Kearon? New Apostle

Post by wtfluff » Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:14 pm

Called and ordained Dec 7 2023.

But he doesn't get sustained until April 2024.

Putting the cart before the horse eh CEO Rusty?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Mayan_Elephant
Posts: 465
Joined: Thu May 12, 2022 4:57 pm

Re: Anybody know anything about Patrick Kearon? New Apostle

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:16 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:14 pm
Called and ordained Dec 7 2023.

But he doesn't get sustained until April 2024.

Putting the cart before the horse eh CEO Rusty?
I think we should give Nelson the benefit of doubt since he didn't hire a real estate developer or partner from KM.
“Not ripe in spring, no standing by summer, Laches by fall, and moot by winter.”

User avatar
wtfluff
Posts: 3653
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:20 pm
Location: Worshiping Gravity / Pulling Taffy

Re: Anybody know anything about Patrick Kearon? New Apostle

Post by wtfluff » Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:54 pm

Mayan_Elephant wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:16 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:14 pm
Called and ordained Dec 7 2023.

But he doesn't get sustained until April 2024.

Putting the cart before the horse eh CEO Rusty?
I think we should give Nelson the benefit of doubt since he didn't hire a real estate developer or partner from KM.
According to Rusty's own Doctrine and Covenants, he isn't supposed to hire anyone until the membership sustain that anyone.

(I know, I know... Common Consent: Not common. Maybe the articles of incorporation state something different about the appointment of new board members?)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Mayan_Elephant
Posts: 465
Joined: Thu May 12, 2022 4:57 pm

Re: Anybody know anything about Patrick Kearon? New Apostle

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:56 am

wtfluff wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:54 pm
Mayan_Elephant wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:16 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:14 pm
Called and ordained Dec 7 2023.

But he doesn't get sustained until April 2024.

Putting the cart before the horse eh CEO Rusty?
I think we should give Nelson the benefit of doubt since he didn't hire a real estate developer or partner from KM.
According to Rusty's own Doctrine and Covenants, he isn't supposed to hire anyone until the membership sustain that anyone.

(I know, I know... Common Consent: Not common. Maybe the articles of incorporation state something different about the appointment of new board members?)
I am not 99, but I can promise you this. I swear to god, if I live to be 99 I will drop acid with a couple buddies and Calamity Jane and rob a bank. Today, I am clean and sober and can't drink whiskey or drop acid. And today, I am not prepared for the consequences of robbing a bank. But damn, if I make it to 99, I want "Mother******* Acid-Dropping Bank Robber" on my tombstone. I suspect this ol boy Nelson ain't much worried about no damn covenants at this point.
“Not ripe in spring, no standing by summer, Laches by fall, and moot by winter.”

User avatar
Just This Guy
Posts: 1528
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:30 pm
Location: Almost Heaven

Re: Anybody know anything about Patrick Kearon? New Apostle

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:51 am

wtfluff wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:14 pm
Called and ordained Dec 7 2023.

But he doesn't get sustained until April 2024.

Putting the cart before the horse eh CEO Rusty?
Considering he didn't wait until conference to put himself in the top seat, even though it is required in the D&C...

Not surprised.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Cnsl1
Posts: 587
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:27 pm

Re: Anybody know anything about Patrick Kearon? New Apostle

Post by Cnsl1 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:19 pm

I heard the new dude is more like Uchtdorf than he is like all those Utah/Idaho raised old rich white guys. Dieter probably needed a buddy. He seems left out. Maybe Rusty figured what the hell, they'll all die off before Bednar anyway.

Maybe he thought he followed the spirit.

Maybe he's too old to know or care.

Maybe this dude was the last guy he talked to before Ballard died.

Who knows, who cares. There was a time I could name them all. I probably couldn't pick them out of a police lineup now.

Gatorbait
Posts: 245
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:13 pm

Re: Anybody know anything about Patrick Kearon? New Apostle

Post by Gatorbait » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:06 pm

lostinmiddlemormonism wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:58 pm
His talk on refugees was actually good. He doesn’t have or use a middle initial, that’s a plus. He’s a Brit. Overall, there could have been many worse picks.

I knew Rusty would wait until conference though…what if died and someone else got the legacy pick…the horror!!!
Love that he doesn't have an initial to deal with. I like that, and I like the guy. Think he'll be a buffer for some of the oldsters. Seems likeable and his talks are given in a kindly tone. Glad to have the bloke.
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell

User avatar
moksha
Posts: 5112
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:22 am

Re: Anybody know anything about Patrick Kearon? New Apostle

Post by moksha » Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:12 am

John Dehlin noted that new apostle Kearon effectively rebuked that crazy Mormon idea that victims are guilty of being victimized. He said that perhaps Kearon can bring some much-needed reform to Mormonism.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

User avatar
Just This Guy
Posts: 1528
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:30 pm
Location: Almost Heaven

Re: Anybody know anything about Patrick Kearon? New Apostle

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:47 am

moksha wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:12 am
John Dehlin noted that new apostle Kearon effectively rebuked that crazy Mormon idea that victims are guilty of being victimized. He said that perhaps Kearon can bring some much-needed reform to Mormonism.
A lot was said about Updorf bring needed reform to the church as well. However, he was as much a pawn as anyone. For a while he was giving talks about being understanding to ex members. But then he gave the infamous "doubt your doubts" talk and most of the hope for him being the voice of change went up in smoke. Favored by GBH, but clashed with and demoted by RMN. End of they day they still have to play nice to the whims of whoever has been there longer than they have.

While reform is needed, it still have to go through the guys at the top and the current ones are as set in their harmful ways as ever. So I won't not get excited to see any change until for a very long time. At least until the current group of bigoted old men kick the bucket.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

User avatar
wtfluff
Posts: 3653
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:20 pm
Location: Worshiping Gravity / Pulling Taffy

Re: Anybody know anything about Patrick Kearon? New Apostle

Post by wtfluff » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:39 pm

moksha wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:12 am
...
perhaps Kearon can bring some much-needed reform to Mormonism.
I'm going to re-state Just This Guy's statement with my sociall-reject filter:

Reform? Not until all of the old, non-reformers DIE.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

User avatar
blazerb
Posts: 1615
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:35 pm

Re: Anybody know anything about Patrick Kearon? New Apostle

Post by blazerb » Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:49 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:39 pm
moksha wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:12 am
...
perhaps Kearon can bring some much-needed reform to Mormonism.
I'm going to re-state Just This Guy's statement with my sociall-reject filter:

Reform? Not until all of the old, non-reformers DIE.
By the time he gets into the unleashed seat, there will be a whole new crop of a-holes who will obstruct reform as much as they can. Reformers always seem to need to play by the rules. The die-hard reactionaries will have no problem using every dirty trick they can. I'm thinking of all those who tried to end the temple/priesthood ban and were thwarted. It will be hard to make progress.

Also, I'm not convinced that he's a reformer. I hope so.

User avatar
Palerider
Posts: 2262
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:44 am

Re: Anybody know anything about Patrick Kearon? New Apostle

Post by Palerider » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:56 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:47 am

While reform is needed, it still have to go through the guys at the top and the current ones are as set in their harmful ways as ever. So I won't not get excited to see any change until for a very long time. At least until the current group of bigoted old men kick the bucket.
Just a quick count and I think 11 guys would have to "croak" before significant changes could be made. And some of them are younger than Uchtdorf.

I'm betting it will take something seriously traumatic from the outside to effect significant change in this soft-cult organization. A real paradigm bender is needed.

Otherwise it will continue to be "Mo mo, same same".
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

User avatar
Just This Guy
Posts: 1528
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:30 pm
Location: Almost Heaven

Re: Anybody know anything about Patrick Kearon? New Apostle

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:33 am

Palerider wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:56 pm
Just This Guy wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:47 am

While reform is needed, it still have to go through the guys at the top and the current ones are as set in their harmful ways as ever. So I won't not get excited to see any change until for a very long time. At least until the current group of bigoted old men kick the bucket.
Just a quick count and I think 11 guys would have to "croak" before significant changes could be made. And some of them are younger than Uchtdorf.

I'm betting it will take something seriously traumatic from the outside to effect significant change in this soft-cult organization. A real paradigm bender is needed.

Otherwise it will continue to be "Mo mo, same same".

And of those 11, their replacements would need to be reformer as well. If their replacements are also hardliners, then that really throws the math off.

I am actually surprised any anyone who could be considered a reformer could ever get to the Q15. When a overwhelming number of the top leadership are die-hards and they vote on who gets to come in to fill vacancies, then naturally they will vote for people who they like (i.e. people who have their same hard line views.) They may get token people to appeal to various populations like bringing some from east Asia or south America, but they still have to pass the litmus test controlled by the die-hards.

End of the day, the whole structure of LDSinc. is setup to resist change at all costs and will only happen when they are dragged to kicking and screaming.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Conman52
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:32 pm
Location: West michigan

Re: Anybody know anything about Patrick Kearon? New Apostle

Post by Conman52 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:03 pm

I heard some news today about Kearon . He was in charge of helping out refugees recently in Europe and this is a big one he doesn't have a college degree !! He has had kind of a tougher life than the rest of the 15 . His father died when he was 19 and a couple other interesting facts that I am unable to recall. I heard it on mormonland podcast on you tube.
By their fruits ye shall know them

User avatar
Not Buying It
Posts: 1308
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:29 pm

Re: Anybody know anything about Patrick Kearon? New Apostle

Post by Not Buying It » Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:45 am

I get why PIMO members hope for change with any new apostle who seems less extreme than the rest. When I was stuck in the Church, I was hopeful for anything that would make it more bearable.

But even so, I never bought into the idea that President Uchtdorf would be an agent for change - I will always maintain that to even get to the level of the 12, you have to be Church broke, have to have participated in dozens of unjust "Courts of Love", have to have enforced despicable rules and defended despicable actions the Church has taken - it is literally impossible to get to that level in the Church without having been a rat bastard along the way. It's a system that forces a leader to be a rat bastard, and if you choose not to be a rat bastard, you no longer get to be a leader. I promise you, Uchtdorf was a rat bastard just like the rest of them, he's just way more smooth and charismatic than the rest of them. Charisma generally fools a lot of people.

I don't mean to burst anyone's bubble, but the chances of Patrick Kearon even wanting to be a change agent, never mind actually being a change agent, are slim to none.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 23 guests