Do you have a god?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
deacon blues

Do you have a god?

Post by deacon blues » Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:54 pm

This thought just popped into my head- "Do You Have A God?
I would answer yes: my God is Love and Truth. My God did not create the world in 6 days. My God did create people, in a metaphorical way, and maybe a literally metaphorical way. (I'm not prepared to explain that) My God did not tell Joshua to kill Canaanites. My God did say "Love your neighbor, and your enemies." My God did not say sacrifice sheep and goats and other animals. My God did say: "Love is worth sacrificing for. Truth is worth sacrificing for."
I could be wrong about my God, and I am willing to listen to you tell me about your God(s).
I don't think I would ever express these feelings in a testimony meeting.
I do feel comfortable sharing them here. Thanks, everyone.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

wtfluff

Re: Do you have a god?

Post by wtfluff » Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:02 pm

If anyone asks, and well, you asked Deacon: My my god for today is:

Ictinike

After randomly being lead to the godchecker website this week, I've decided anytime I feel some sort of "need" for deity/divine in my life, (or when someone asks :P ) I'll just check the god of the day. With almost 4000 gods in the database, I'll be dead long before I cycle through all of them, but it will be enlightening learning about more gods.

In the mischievous name of Ictinike, (you know the rest...)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:02 am

I have a fondness for Ai Apaec, the Peruvian Decapitator God.
He's kind of like Gozer the Gozerian, and can come in different forms: a bird, a spider, or an octopus.

But if you asked me to name my personal god, I'd have to say it's the original and most ancient god: The Sky.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:39 am

I hope for a god. I hope there is some sort of eternal existence that allows people to grow. Eternal progression really appealed to TBM me. Some days I am more hopeful. Other days less. At the least, I hope for a god according to Spinoza's ideas: not conscious, but the sum of laws and principles that run the universe.

Angel

Post by Angel » Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:08 pm

Many believe to attain a state of liberation and inner peace is letting go of the constant cycle of desire.

Heaven? Hell? Dust to dust? Unattached to outcomes, at peace with any outcome, the journey itself is the destination. Escape binary dualism. Within - inner peace. External cannot be changed or understood. Go within. All that is needed is within.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson