Went to church today (Dec 24th) and …

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

Went to church today (Dec 24th) and …

Post by Red Ryder » Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:58 pm

The choir sang Christmas music.

The speaker talked about genealogy and attending the temple.

The choir sang more Christmas music.

We all went home after one hour!

Why am I not surprised?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Ghost

Re: Went to church today (Dec 24th) and …

Post by Ghost » Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:15 pm

I also went to one-hour church today for the first time in ages, for family reasons. It was interesting to note how much more I feel like an outsider these days, even though I know a lot of the ward members (though I've technically never been active in this ward following a pandemic reshuffling).

The program was nice, though. Mostly just musical arrangements with a few people reading the expected scriptural passages.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:13 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:58 pm
The speaker talked about genealogy and attending the temple.
That is quite a mismatch between the season and the topic.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Conman52

Post by Conman52 » Mon Dec 25, 2023 5:10 pm

I also went to church the 24th but my experience was much different . It was all about the birth of the savior and the usual Christmas stuff, kind of traditional I'm sitting their thinking I am so thankful that I'm not hearing anything about the one true church or joseph smith or any other church history. I am way outside the morridor so that probably helped. I am now when asked to give a talk going completely with bible references nothing else and no one even seems to notice or care. Maybe that will change in 2024 as we will be studying the bom who knows or cares, I know I don't!! Go Nomies !!
By their fruits ye shall know them

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:50 am

Mrs. Hagoth and I watched via Zoom. Our ward Christmas program is about as top notch as it gets. We have an amazing choir, plus string quartet and percussionist. Our choir director and some of her family are professional musicians and she is Lex de Azevedo's daughter. Sometimes Lex even shows up and performs. Always a treat.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:37 pm

I attended and participated musically. It was ok. Mostly music interspersed with short testimonies or talks. Lots of "I know the church is true" blather, but the overall tenor of the meeting seemed focused on Christ. Lots of folks thanked me and some expressed the hope that I'd attend more often. I can comfortably smile and say thanks, and chat afterwards, and still not feel a pressing need or desire to attend frequently. Most of our kids attended as well, but made quick exits.

stuck

Post by stuck » Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:49 pm

I attended also. I was grateful it was only one hour. My son joined the combined primary and choir number that they did. One guy was asked to bear his testimony and it was the traditional "I know the church is true--blar blar blar".

It's kind of interesting. I haven't attended EQ for a long time. So maybe that's why I feel a bit estranged from other men in the ward. But I just couldn't handle feeling like an outsider in there.