Should I accept a calling?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
oliblish

Should I accept a calling?

Post by oliblish » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:06 am

Details deleted.

I ended up turning down the calling. We will see how it goes...
Last edited by oliblish on Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

FiveFingerMnemonic

Re: Should I accept a calling?

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:35 am

This is where mormonism makes it hard to be halfway in. You can turn down the calling, but it might complicate your possibility of recommend renewal later if you desire it. At the same time if your mental health precludes giving this much time and effort to the corporation, then perhaps letting that next recommend slide is ok, while also being aware that it might be really hard on your wife. The decision is yours. Not many good options.

Newme

Re: Should I accept a calling?

Post by Newme » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:42 am

We have a right to say no. Really. Intellectually, I understand this, but emotionally, it's taking a while to get through. For so long, I believed that to be a worthy person, I needed to do everything others asked of me in the church - no matter how overbooked I was. I recently also asked to be released from a calling and also from visiting teaching. I told her that I often like to reach out to others on my own - I don't need someone harassing me over and over with calls to demand a report etc. Serving is more enjoyable when it's done out of love, not shame-based obligation.

End of vent.