Pope, Gay blessing, Conversion opportunity

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Mayan_Elephant

Re: Pope, Gay blessing, Conversion opportunity

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:26 pm

Well, Bari Weiss may also apply the belief that silence is a complicit act.

https://youtu.be/eFVXFXZ9xGA?si=yVt2t4_g6ZI2yKAx

Bari is a hell of a writer.

I dont recommend watching that video. It is brutal. The hatred is not for the meek. It could rock one’s rigid ideology.
“Not ripe in spring, no standing by summer, Laches by fall, and moot by winter.”

alas

Post by alas » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:25 am

Mayan, we are not saying we agree or disagree with the penguin. We are saying that you pick on him unnecessarily. I totally agree with you that some of what he puts out as jokes are not funny and generalize too much. But, hey the world survived blond jokes, Polish jokes, wow, even n word jokes when I was growing up. We STILL have fat jokes. They all insult a group of people unfairly. So, we correct people gently. We say, that is an unfair generalization. Or we say, that wasn’t funny. Or we brush it off as “yup, he is still angry at Mormons.”

You were the one back on the old NOM.1 screaming and yelling that the moderators were “censoring” people for being too angry at the church. Yes, Thayne and Dathon wanted too much sweetness toward the church. I did as they requested and moderated for “too much” anger at the church or words that insulted Mormons or the church. But I agreed with you. Anger is sometimes appropriate. Insults sometimes vent that anger.

Now, here you are trying to correct the generalizations that insult Mormons. God, you would make a terrible moderator. Anger and generalizations against the church are good in your book unless it is Moksha? Or do you only want to express your ow anger and not let anyone else. Then you have to get on your high horse and correct his generalization because he didn’t put the word “some” in there?

Lighten up and allow for people to express some anger. That was what we agreed to when we started NOM.2. You came on and said “let’s not moderate as strictly as NOM.1” And lots of us agreed. So, we decided that insulting Mormons or the Mormon church was not a crime worth moderating.

So, now, Moksha throws out an insult saying “Mormons are ( )” and you have to correct him that not ALL Mormons are whatever.

I agree with you. Not all Mormons are any one way. But then again, some of them are. So, it is actually correct to say that “Mormons are…..” because SOME of them are. He just didn’t toss in the word “some”. So, you just his case and get critical.

Can’t you just say “not ALL Mormons” and let the rest of it go? If you want constant arguments go over to Discuss Mormonism. They love personal fights. Here on NOM we like to be nice to each other.

Well, most of the time. I admit that I decided to stop being nice to you because you pick on people that don’t kick you in the teeth. And, I learned to fight back. Most of the time, I am a sweet little fat gray haired gramma. I back cookies and make fudge for my grandchildren and neighbors. But as Angel said, when you find that nobody is willing to fight for you, you find your own strength. And sometimes that takes getting nasty and learning to fight for yourself and others.

Maybe you should just let our moderators judge if Moksha is going outside what is permissible. You are not a moderator, so maybe you should leave the penguin alone as he requests. Pick on me because I am willing to kick you in the teeth with how I feel about your behavior. Don’t drive Moksha away. We like him even if some of his jokes aren’t funny.

alas

Post by alas » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:37 am

Angel, yes, I was very disillusioned because the church is all about loving and helping each other. Until the need is big, like child sexual abuse or serious injury that puts a family member in the hospital for months and runs up millions in medical bills and then the insurance company says they won’t pay. Yeah, not nay does your insurance abandon you, so does your community. They can’t deal with anything bigger than bringing in a casserole.

Not their fault, some problems are overwhelming. I don’t want to deal with huge overwhelming problems either. But when they abandon us, why do they still demand that we be loyal to them? They didn’t even offer comfort, so why should I still treat them as godlike?

That was what got me. They don’t give a damn about me but still expect 100% loyalty from me. They refuse to even try to answer my spiritual needs, then wonder why go elsewhere. They criticize me for getting professional help after refusing any help. So, just exactly what do they expect?

So, yup, get angry and get strong. Anger is great motivation for standing up to people who betray you. Should have learned it much earlier. Anger is great when used constructively and forgiveness just keeps you weak.

But what I loved most was helping others who had been through the same thing. Why I worked as rape victim counselor, battered women counselor, and similar jobs as a social worker.

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:34 pm

alas wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:25 am
Mayan, we are not saying we agree or disagree with the penguin. We are saying that you pick on him unnecessarily. I totally agree with you that some of what he puts out as jokes are not funny and generalize too much. But, hey the world survived blond jokes, Polish jokes, wow, even n word jokes when I was growing up. We STILL have fat jokes. They all insult a group of people unfairly. So, we correct people gently. We say, that is an unfair generalization. Or we say, that wasn’t funny. Or we brush it off as “yup, he is still angry at Mormons.”

You were the one back on the old NOM.1 screaming and yelling that the moderators were “censoring” people for being too angry at the church. Yes, Thayne and Dathon wanted too much sweetness toward the church. I did as they requested and moderated for “too much” anger at the church or words that insulted Mormons or the church. But I agreed with you. Anger is sometimes appropriate. Insults sometimes vent that anger.

Now, here you are trying to correct the generalizations that insult Mormons. God, you would make a terrible moderator. Anger and generalizations against the church are good in your book unless it is Moksha? Or do you only want to express your ow anger and not let anyone else. Then you have to get on your high horse and correct his generalization because he didn’t put the word “some” in there?

Lighten up and allow for people to express some anger. That was what we agreed to when we started NOM.2. You came on and said “let’s not moderate as strictly as NOM.1” And lots of us agreed. So, we decided that insulting Mormons or the Mormon church was not a crime worth moderating.

So, now, Moksha throws out an insult saying “Mormons are ( )” and you have to correct him that not ALL Mormons are whatever.

I agree with you. Not all Mormons are any one way. But then again, some of them are. So, it is actually correct to say that “Mormons are…..” because SOME of them are. He just didn’t toss in the word “some”. So, you just his case and get critical.

Can’t you just say “not ALL Mormons” and let the rest of it go? If you want constant arguments go over to Discuss Mormonism. They love personal fights. Here on NOM we like to be nice to each other.

Well, most of the time. I admit that I decided to stop being nice to you because you pick on people that don’t kick you in the teeth. And, I learned to fight back. Most of the time, I am a sweet little fat gray haired gramma. I back cookies and make fudge for my grandchildren and neighbors. But as Angel said, when you find that nobody is willing to fight for you, you find your own strength. And sometimes that takes getting nasty and learning to fight for yourself and others.

Maybe you should just let our moderators judge if Moksha is going outside what is permissible. You are not a moderator, so maybe you should leave the penguin alone as he requests. Pick on me because I am willing to kick you in the teeth with how I feel about your behavior. Don’t drive Moksha away. We like him even if some of his jokes aren’t funny.
Understood. I disagree with some of this. I understand.
“Not ripe in spring, no standing by summer, Laches by fall, and moot by winter.”

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:05 pm

alas wrote:
We like him even if some of his jokes aren’t funny.
Sometimes I write with savoir-faire, sometimes I resort to flipperancy (penguin joke). No one can please all audiences, nor should we have to please everyone. Our common humanity draws us together and hopefully, this place of togetherness can be both safe and supportive.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:06 pm

moksha wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:05 pm
alas wrote:
We like him even if some of his jokes aren’t funny.
Sometimes I write with savoir-faire, sometimes I resort to flipperancy (penguin joke). No one can please all audiences, nor should we have to please everyone. Our common humanity draws us together and hopefully, this place of togetherness can be both safe and supportive.
I find all of the penguins jokes funny. Sometimes I have to google to understand certain words and then back into the joke, which then makes it even funny to me.

In regards to moderation… We honestly don’t have assigned moderators which as alas mentioned, is what we decided all those years ago. So moderate yourself and be respectful. We’re all humans with real lives behind the screen with real problems that don’t cross over. Some of us come here for support we don’t get in real life.

That’s the magic of this place all these years.

So be kind…. And rewind.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

alas

Post by alas » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:42 pm

Mayan_Elephant wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:34 pm
alas wrote:

That is all I ask. I think the thing I want you to do, is if someone asks to be left alone, then you are not getting the message through to them that you wanted to send, so back off, or apologize and clarify what you meant to get across. Just try to be kind.

So, I’ll try to be nice from now on. Alas retracts claws.

And Moksha, don’t worry about pleasing everyone. Just be you and know you have friends here.

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:27 pm

alas wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:42 pm
Mayan_Elephant wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:34 pm
alas wrote:

That is all I ask. I think the thing I want you to do, is if someone asks to be left alone, then you are not getting the message through to them that you wanted to send, so back off, or apologize and clarify what you meant to get across. Just try to be kind.

So, I’ll try to be nice from now on. Alas retracts claws.

And Moksha, don’t worry about pleasing everyone. Just be you and know you have friends here.
I asked to not have bigoted comments about people. Should have said “LOL” instead, LOL.