MLK

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Conman52

MLK

Post by Conman52 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:26 am

I thought it being Mlk day maybe we should reflect on how the church didn't like him and called him a communist etc etc. I don't have any qoutes or articles about this so I am hoping others can jump in and help on this important subject. I am 63 so I barely remember any Mlk speeches. Thanks
By their fruits ye shall know them

Mayan_Elephant

Re: MLK

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:46 am

Conman52 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:26 am
I thought it being Mlk day maybe we should reflect on how the church didn't like him and called him a communist etc etc. I don't have any qoutes or articles about this so I am hoping others can jump in and help on this important subject. I am 63 so I barely remember any Mlk speeches. Thanks
Local radio is broadcasting MLK speeches today. Uninterrupted.

I think if an evangelical baptist minister gave the same speeches today, the minister would be treated unkindly.

I will be very surprised if the country that is disavowing religious freedom and respect for all religions still has a holiday for an evangelical baptist preacher and man of God in 20 years.
“Not ripe in spring, no standing by summer, Laches by fall, and moot by winter.”

Angel

Post by Angel » Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:39 am

Conman52 wrote:
I saw a few BLM reactions.

Am too young, didn't live through commie scare.

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.ph ... 31,1100885

“the Communists will use Mr. King’s death for as much yardage as possible.”

A year later, in another letter to Marriott, my grandfather continued his attack on the dead Black minister, writing that “the kindest thing that could be said about Martin Luther King is that he was an effective Communist tool. Personally, I think he was more than that.”

(D. Michael Quinn, “The Mormon Hierarchy: Extensions of Power” [Salt Lake City, Utah: Signature Books, 1997], pp. 100, 113, 463, 471)

My grandfather also was convinced that Dr. King’s assassination was carried out by Communists themselves, in an effort to trigger civil war in America. In his book, “An Enemy Hath Done This,” he quoted from an article by Susan L.M. Huck, originally published in the John Birch magazine, “American Opinion”:

“Okay, let’s take the gloves off. This insurrection didn’t just happen. It was a set-up—just as the assassination of Martin Luther King was a set-up. The Communists and their Black Power fanatics have been working to create just such a situation for years. They even TOLD us what they were planning to do, again and again, as they did it. . . .

“And remember, the Reds and their Black Power troops have promised us that this is only the beginning! Stokely has said that his forces plan to burn down America.

“They’re sure going to try.

“How do you stop it? It’s very simple. You stop Communist racial agitation; you arrest the leaders for conspiracy to commit murder, arson and burglary, prove their guilt in a court of law and lock them up. And you free the hands of our police so that the can PREVENT rioting and looting and arson by those citizens now convinced by the actions of our ‘Liberals’ that theft, incendiarism and assault will be tolerated.

“Don’t kid yourself. The people who are behind all of this mean to have a civil war. We either stop them now or they will escalate this thing.”

(Susan L.M. Huck, quoted in Ezra Taft Benson, “An Enemy Hath Done This,” p. 335, original emphasis)
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Angel

Post by Angel » Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:42 am

Mayan_Elephant wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:46 am

I think if an evangelical baptist minister gave the same speeches today, the minister would be treated unkindly.

I will be very surprised if the country that is disavowing religious freedom and respect for all religions still has a holiday for an evangelical baptist preacher and man of God in 20 years.
?? didsavowing religious freedom??

Juneteenth should become the big holiday to celebrate.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:11 pm

Angel wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:42 am
Mayan_Elephant wrote:

Do you believe that King’s brand of evangelical christianity is regarded as a freedom or a threat?

Are you, like others, suggesting that MlK should not be a holiday?

I think MLK should be studied more and that his passion for civil rights needs a rebirth in the USA.
“Not ripe in spring, no standing by summer, Laches by fall, and moot by winter.”

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:48 pm

Conman52 wrote:
Martin Luther King Day was opposed in Utah until the Winter Olympics of 2002 got near and journalists started to report on this as a story.*** It created negative publicity for the Church, so the Utah Legislature did an about-face and allowed MLK Day in Utah. By then, the insistence of Ezra Taft Benson that civil rights for black people was a communist conspiracy had pretty much faded.

Resentment and bad-mouthing of King persisted on LDS apologetic boards, but even that is fading.

Since I am older, I remember MKL's "I Have a Dream Speech". One of the best public addresses in American history.

*** LDS Governor Edwin Mecham of Arizona was able to extend racial animosity past Ezra Taft's Conference talks, but eventually that got driven down by the citizens of Arizona at Mecham's impeachment. Mecham canceled Arizona's MLK Day and defended using the word "pickaninny" to describe black children.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Angel

Post by Angel » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:52 pm

Mayan_Elephant wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:11 pm
Angel wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:42 am
Mayan_Elephant wrote:

Do you believe that King’s brand of evangelical christianity is regarded as a freedom or a threat?

Are you, like others, suggesting that MlK should not be a holiday?

I think MLK should be studied more and that his passion for civil rights needs a rebirth in the USA.
I'm not impressed with him cheating on his wife, or treatment of women.

You know the saying, "Never meet your heroes" - "The more you know, the less you like."

Better to celebrate occasions that include many people, avoid anything around any single person.

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:56 pm

More about Mormons and Martin Luther King from the Utah Historical Quarterly. It is an interesting and informative read.

https://issuu.com/utah10/docs/utah_hist ... s/11140096
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha