How do you define Mormonism?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
2bizE

How do you define Mormonism?

Post by 2bizE » Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:39 pm

I’ve been thinking about how I define Mormonism and have settled on this:
Mormonism is a series of non-standardized rules that each church member and leader personally interprets differently and then expects everyone else to abide by their own interpretation.

How would you define Mormonism?
~2bizE

Red Ryder

Re: How do you define Mormonism?

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:14 pm

I love that.

I would add…

Mormonism is a time consuming lifestyle made up of a series of non-standardized rules that each church member and leader personally interprets differently and then expects everyone else to abide by their own interpretation, that ever so slowly evolves from generation to generation while still being governed by the Prophet who thinks relative to four generations ago.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:50 pm

Mormonism has many sides. Two of those sides are:

1. A hopeful framework to worship God.

2. A multinational corporation with a church attached for tax purposes.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:06 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:14 pm
I love that.

I would add…

Mormonism is a time consuming lifestyle made up of a series of non-standardized rules that each church member and leader personally interprets differently and then expects everyone else to abide by their own interpretation, that ever so slowly evolves from generation to generation while still being governed by the Prophet who thinks relative to four generations ago.
Great additions RR. Somehow, it seems as Mormonism has divided a bit where the members are become more right wing Trump-following wack-jobs and the church itself has turned to an aggressive game of growing more real estate and wealth like Scruge McDuck or Smaug.
~2bizE

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:09 pm

It feels like the church members can be packaged into a few different groups that represent a challenge to the Leadership. However, as long as the wallets of each group remain open the Leadership can tolerate while they search for more real estate investments.

Let’s continue defining Mormonism.

1. A space to worship according to the dictates of our parents as we were born into this system. Moksha mentioned this already in his response.

2. A system where the intangible benefits of participation can only be measured by the amount you pray, the amount you pay, and the amount you obey.

3. A system designed to bring happiness. All while being too busy to be truly happy or recognizing that your aren’t.

4. A system that for the most part keeps people free from drug and alcohol addiction but ignores Rx pharmaceutical addiction.

5. A system that is designed to look immaculate on the outside while ignoring the real issues. Perfect families, temple ideaology vs. actual temple experience.

6. A system that extracts time, money, emotional response, from its members in order to build up the kingdom of the system here on earth.

7. A system that is designed to stop human maturity and personal growth in order to remain meek, humble, and submissive to the system.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

hmb

Post by hmb » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:08 pm

2bizE wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:39 pm
I’ve been thinking about how I define Mormonism and have settled on this:
Mormonism is a series of non-standardized rules that each church member and leader personally interprets differently and then expects everyone else to abide by their own interpretation.
...as long as that interpretation comes from a male. Females don't count, or at the very least, need approval by some male authority (because males have a magical stick that encompasses the priesthood).

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:26 pm

This is an interesting thought experiment that I've never thought of. :P

Though I don't want to put too much thought into it, the MORmON part of my brain won't let me not think about it (as you can tell.)

Sadly, my first reaction as to how I would define Mormonism would be offensive to some folks here, so I will have to not let my fingers do the talking.

That is all. Or in other words: More to come. Probably. Maybe. Or maybe not.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:39 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:26 pm
Or in other words: More to come. Probably. Maybe. Or maybe not.
Let your thoughts roam free. :D
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

alas

Post by alas » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:26 pm

As a female, I obviously have zero say in what Mormonism is, so I cannot participate on this thread. I would say that I resent my lack of voice, but since I don’t have a voice y’all can’t hear me.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:32 pm

alas wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:26 pm
As a female, I obviously have zero say in what Mormonism is, so I cannot participate on this thread. I would say that I resent my lack of voice, but since I don’t have a voice y’all can’t hear me.
You have a voice here, (female) Froggy.

Please, please, please? Define what Mormonism is to Alas.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

alas

Post by alas » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:23 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:32 pm
alas wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:26 pm
You have a voice here, (female) Froggy.

Please, please, please? Define what Mormonism is to Alas.
I have enjoyed other’s definitions, but don’t have any humor to add along that line. So, I’ll just be boring and pretend we are serious about answering the question.

Lots of things. If I were writing a dictionary, it would be really hard to define because the main people who are Mormon, think the word is an insult that is a victory for Satan, so just how does one define a word that applies to all sorts of people, but the ones to whom it is most applicable, don’t want it?

We could start with any religion that follows the teachings to any degree of Joseph Smith. So, the Community of Christ is Mormon, the Brighamites are Mormon, the fundamentalists are Mormon. So, several religions qualify. But none of them really call themselves that.

But most often people think of the biggest denomination of Mormons, those weird people who don’t want to be called that. So, narrowing down to that denomination, then I am pretty much with Moksha that it has two entities. #1 being a multinational corporation and real estate holding company, using a religion as a tax dodge. This group of 15 or so old men are really quite different and separate than the second entity. #2 being a very loose cultural group, that may or may not be religious, with multiple subcultures. The largest portion active Mormons may have some really strange beliefs but are basically good people. They disown all other Mormons. But then they disown themselves, so who cares. Then there are exMormons, Jack Mormons, PIMO Mormons and some of whom were born into said crazy but no longer hold those beliefs but are trying to unMormon themselves. Like all cultural groups, there is overlap with neighboring cultural groups so that Utah Mormons are kind of a mix of the western US culture and Mormon culture, while Southern Mormons are a mix of Southern US and Mormon, and German Mormons likewise a mix of German and Mormon. So, while Mormons often have some culture in common, they are not one group and there is no one commonality that can be defined as Mormon. Many who would call themselves Mormon several years ago before some idiot called it a bad word, would not recognize the beliefs of other groups as being “Mormon” and call them apostate just like most Christian insist Mormons aren’t Christian. For example conservative Mormons might call liberal Mormons apostate, while those same liberal are scoffing that the conservatives are apostate because they refuse to follow the prophet and get vaccinated.

There is much bickering and contention among this cultural group, as opposed to say Jews who live together quite well with the various subcultures. In fact, the Brighamites want to disassociate from the word Mormon because they think the fundamentalists have contaminated it with the polygamy both groups believe in. It is not a happy family.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:22 pm

alas wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:23 pm
I have enjoyed other’s definitions, but don’t have any humor to add along that line. So, I’ll just be boring and pretend we are serious about answering the question.

Lots of things. If I were writing a dictionary, it would be really hard to define because the main people who are Mormon, think the word is an insult that is a victory for Satan, so just how does one define a word that applies to all sorts of people, but the ones to whom it is most applicable, don’t want it?

We could start with any religion that follows the teachings to any degree of Joseph Smith. So, the Community of Christ is Mormon, the Brighamites are Mormon, the fundamentalists are Mormon. So, several religions qualify. But none of them really call themselves that.

But most often people think of the biggest denomination of Mormons, those weird people who don’t want to be called that. So, narrowing down to that denomination, then I am pretty much with Moksha that it has two entities. #1 being a multinational corporation and real estate holding company, using a religion as a tax dodge. This group of 15 or so old men are really quite different and separate than the second entity. #2 being a very loose cultural group, that may or may not be religious, with multiple subcultures. The largest portion active Mormons may have some really strange beliefs but are basically good people. They disown all other Mormons. But then they disown themselves, so who cares. Then there are exMormons, Jack Mormons, PIMO Mormons and some of whom were born into said crazy but no longer hold those beliefs but are trying to unMormon themselves. Like all cultural groups, there is overlap with neighboring cultural groups so that Utah Mormons are kind of a mix of the western US culture and Mormon culture, while Southern Mormons are a mix of Southern US and Mormon, and German Mormons likewise a mix of German and Mormon. So, while Mormons often have some culture in common, they are not one group and there is no one commonality that can be defined as Mormon. Many who would call themselves Mormon several years ago before some idiot called it a bad word, would not recognize the beliefs of other groups as being “Mormon” and call them apostate just like most Christian insist Mormons aren’t Christian. For example conservative Mormons might call liberal Mormons apostate, while those same liberal are scoffing that the conservatives are apostate because they refuse to follow the prophet and get vaccinated.

There is much bickering and contention among this cultural group, as opposed to say Jews who live together quite well with the various subcultures. In fact, the Brighamites want to disassociate from the word Mormon because they think the fundamentalists have contaminated it with the polygamy both groups believe in. It is not a happy family.
Thank you.

As I suspected: Thought provoking and awesome, as always.

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:13 pm

Mormonism:

An ancient gnostic scheme that rears it's ugly head from generation to generation, which co-opts Christianity as it's cloak or disguise in order to subjugate unwitting people for purposes of exploitation. A secret combination set up to get gain and political power through means of psychological brainwashing and the Stockholm Syndrome.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Angel

Post by Angel » Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:16 pm

Mormonism: A religious ego-echo chamber of folks in fancy undergarments who believe magic handshakes, a white and delightsome ancestry, and $$ get alpha males into a super exclusive celestial club filled with harems of women.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:00 am

Angel wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:16 pm
Mormonism: A religious ego-echo chamber of folks in fancy undergarments who believe magic handshakes, a white and delightsome ancestry, and $$ get alpha males into a super exclusive celestial club filled with harems of women.
How do you define ex-mormonism? Different than this?
“Not ripe in spring, no standing by summer, Laches by fall, and moot by winter.”

Angel

Post by Angel » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:39 pm

Mayan_Elephant wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:00 am
Angel wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:16 pm
How do you define ex-mormonism? Different than this?
The ex-cave dweller: Observes those still lingering in the shadows with a compassionate heart. Holding a deep sadness for those still confined, sadness for wasted years, yet filled with gratitude for new supportive community and friends. The journey to redefine life has been long and difficult, but rewarding. Those once enslaved have a geater appreciation for freedom.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:10 pm

Mormonism: The community that has grown from the practices and heritage of an American frontier religion (TCOJCOLDS) despite the greedy corporate nature of past and present owners of the parent corporation.

Ex-mormonism: The community that has grown from people that have stopped participating in the rituals, rites, and rules of the Mormon Church.

To me, it really is that simple. I am damn proud of my Mormon heritage. My family did some damn cool things. I don't fault anyone for holding on to that heritage, particularly if they have a community there. I don't believe that exmormons are any different. Not more free. Not less free. Just doing things in a different way with a different support group and network.
“Not ripe in spring, no standing by summer, Laches by fall, and moot by winter.”

Angel

Post by Angel » Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:54 pm

Many women do view Mormonism as slavery. Eternal polygamy - eternal adultery, nothing to look forward to, hell on earth and hell in heaven.

Not proud of women who stayed married to pedophiles, who allowed their own kids to be abused.. then grandchildren to be abused.
Not proud of those who forced their little daughters to be child brides.
Not proud of women who never worked, who lived as dependents their entire lives.

Not proud of fathers who didn't respect or love their wives, who lusted for sluts and harems rather than any real marriage.
Not proud of any good-old boys who thought blacks didn't deserve the priesthood...

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:06 pm

Angel wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:54 pm
Many women do view Mormonism as slavery. Eternal polygamy - eternal adultery, nothing to look forward to, hell on earth and hell in heaven.

Not proud of women who stayed married to pedophiles, who allowed their own kids to be abused.. then grandchildren to be abused.
Not proud of those who forced their little daughters to be child brides.
Not proud of women who never worked, who lived as dependents their entire lives.

Not proud of fathers who didn't respect or love their wives, who lusted for sluts and harems rather than any real marriage.
Not proud of any good-old boys who thought blacks didn't deserve the priesthood...
Okay. I get it. I dont think that represents the whole lot any more than Elder Jason Derek Brown from the Paris Mission represents the entirety of ex mormons. I was in the MTC with him. The FBI thinks he may be Mormon again.

My Mum would not describe herself as a slave.

hmb

Post by hmb » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:44 am

An individual's definition of mormonism comes from their own experience in the church. Like M_Elephant, my mother would not have described herself as a slave either. My dad was a very good husband. He helped out at home, he was very involved with raising kids, he was a good provider. My mom also had a wonderful community of friends because of the church. She did, however feel like she missed out on opportunities to experience a life away from parents and then husband and family. She missed out on an education, supporting herself, and some life as a single adult. Did she regret her life? I don't believe she regretted marrying my dad, but she must have had some regret or why talk about missed opportunity? It was expected that a girl get married and have kids. No education necessary. Women serve very few purposes while being lifted on some imagined pedestal. She was always very angry about the polygamy thing, both in life and in the eternities. This caused her a brief time of inactivity. Also, she often felt suppressed by the church. Her life wasn't bad, but she had anger issues with the church, and its treatment of women.

I began to struggle with the male dominate thing when I was a young adult. I didn't really care about the polygamy thing until later. I had no intention of going to the celestial kingdom because it seemed like hell in heaven. I didn't care about eternal marriage and planets and popping out spirits to fill up worlds that would worship my shared husband. Who needs that? I don't feel sorry for those still in. If it makes their life better, who am I to judge? I do judge though, but I keep it to myself or with other exmos. In fact, when I left, it was some of those members in "good" standing that began to avoid me. I was de-friended on FB by some of the more stalwart members. One of those wanted to friend me back when they left the church, but I stopped doing personal FB by then.

As an exmo, I regret all the time, money, and guilt that was wasted on an organization which is deeply flawed, while claiming to be the only true religion. I shake my head at the changes within the church and the excuses given for those changes. It's dumb, but it must work because plenty of family, childhood friends/acquaintances are still all in.

Anyway, there is no right/wrong answer to the OP's question. It's really an opinion question. It's interesting to read the various thoughts.