Question on Mormon Cooking

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
moksha

Re: Question on Mormon Cooking

Post by moksha » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:49 am

I added a bit of Mirin rice wine to a noodle dish last night for an extra umami flavor. Even better is Shaoxing wine.

Do you think the rock outcropping at Adam-on-Ahman (which served as an altar post-Garden of Eden) was where Eve served buffalo stew to Adam and the kids? Can you see the tie-in to the modern LDS dinner table?

What herbs and vegetables do you think she used?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:51 pm

moksha wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:49 am
Do you think the rock outcropping at Adam-on-Ahman (which served as an altar post-Garden of Eden) was where Eve served buffalo stew to Adam and the kids? Can you see the tie-in to the modern LDS dinner table?
Let's hope the Pre-Adamite Native Americans helped step in and show them some much-needed survival skills, such as clothing, hunting, scavenging, and making a shelter to survive the winter.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:44 pm

alas wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:12 pm
2bizE wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:36 pm
I have Mormon cooking questions, too.
1) do you have recommended cooking wines? I need to get some that aren’t the kind from the Utah grocery store loaded with salt.

2) Is it okay to bring a good tiramisu to a ward function?

3) is it still a thing to add ground up pinto beans to zucchini bread? Seems like something like that was a thing.
After trying a wine sauce for pasta, I wanted to try cooking ….no, I wanted to make it instead of having to go out during the pandemic. So, like most people during the pandemic with too much time on my hands, I wanted to experiment with cooking new things. The fad during the pandemic was sour dough, and having long ago mastered that, I needed a not-the-latest-fad thing to try. So, I did my research and started cooking with wine.

First rule. Do not use “cooking wine”. It just tastes terrible. That is the junk you can buy in Utah grocery stores. So, go to your Utah State liquor store, or go shopping in Idaho. I live there in the summer, so handy. Or practically any state but Utah.

What I found suggested that any type of wine works, like red with beef, white with fish kind of rule. But in experimenting, I just could not eat beef turned purple by red wine. Sorry, but no. Besides my local restaurant (where we live during the winter, not Idaho) where I discovered wine sauce on pasta only used white wine. So, white it is. Or pink, light light pink. So, I don’t go for anything expensive, but have tried several different kinds, even Champaign. Just nothing red or burgundy. Honestly, we can’t tell much difference between the different brands of very light colored wine. Some are sweeter than others, but I really don’t like anything sweet with meat, so I don’t use the sweeter kinds. Besides, they tend to be expensive imports from Germany. Now, that I would drink. So, I buy the inexpensive California stuff. I really don’t like it enough to drink any of it, so it is just for cooking.

You can find a recipe, or do like one “recipe” suggested. Pick your meat. Pick your pasta. Pick your wine, or use whatever you have open. Sauté onion, grated carrots, celery, with garlic in either butter or olive oil. Butter gives it a more French taste, olive oil more Italian. Add your 1 c wine. Cook until reduced, about half. Strain veggies out. Stir sauce into pasta. Add meat. Or, I leave the veggies in and add my meat. If you strain, “Dont throw away the veggies,” scream my Scotch Ancestors. You can add the veggies to soup. You MUST obey the Scotch ancestors and not throw out the veggies. Besides, the slight wine taste left in the veggies improves the soup.

Some recipes have you add some of the water your pasta was cooked in. This makes it stick to the pasta better, but means you have to cook it down until all the pasta water is reduced.

But experiment. Or ask me questions.

You can add some bouillon if you like. I do when making sauce to go with beef. Or add bone broth and again cook it down.
Thanks Alas for your great insight. I found myself in Rexburg, ID a few months ago at the local Walmart and was shocked to see an entire isle of wine.
~2bizE