We’re back! Thanks Captain Salty!

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

Re: We’re back! Thanks Captain Salty!

Post by Hagoth » Wed May 01, 2024 6:47 am

moksha wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:09 am
Has any of this been due to Defense of the Faith internet attacks?
I keep wondering if it's some sort of attack, but I don't think there's any direct evidence of that. Whatever the reason, we are looking for a new home for NOM. Not only is this platform unstable, it has become too expensive. Thanks to the Cap'n and RR for carrying most of that burden!!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Thu May 02, 2024 11:55 am

During these troubled times ;) I've noticed something that's fairly consistent on the main board index page:
In total there are 195 users online
195 users online right now. Does that sound correct? During these periods where the sessions table has routinely crashed, I've noticed every time that I visit that the users online tally has been hovering in the 200-250 range leading up to the crash.

Maybe 200+ people are constantly browsing NOM, but that feels off. It could be the number is incorrect. It could be that the number is correct and there are 200+ NOMmies that are constantly surfing the site, or that number could be correct and there are many bots or search engines that are constantly scraping the site and it's become too much for the host to handle.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu May 02, 2024 6:50 pm

nibbler wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 11:55 am
During these troubled times ;) I've noticed something that's fairly consistent on the main board index page:
In total there are 195 users online
195 users online right now. Does that sound correct? During these periods where the sessions table has routinely crashed, I've noticed every time that I visit that the users online tally has been hovering in the 200-250 range leading up to the crash.

Maybe 200+ people are constantly browsing NOM, but that feels off. It could be the number is incorrect. It could be that the number is correct and there are 200+ NOMmies that are constantly surfing the site, or that number could be correct and there are many bots or search engines that are constantly scraping the site and it's become too much for the host to handle.
I think it’s bots. Captain is looking for another alternative hosting company and probably a PhP update.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri May 03, 2024 2:43 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 6:50 pm
I think it’s bots.
A month ago Bill Reel and RFM mentioned the Strengthening the Membership Committee was hiring agents to scour the internet. What better place to observe than NOM.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha