The Mormon church is looking to crack down on... garments?!

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
jfro18

The Mormon church is looking to crack down on... garments?!

Post by jfro18 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:07 pm

It's been a bit since I've been around, but I have to say if you're trying to push people out of the church, one way to do that is to try and enforce garment wearing 24/7.

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2024/03 ... s-message/

From Peggy Fletcher Stack, it was brought up at a recent area event and it appears the leaders are going to change the temple recommend question so you know who owns you.

As a huge hater of garments I hate this, but to be fair DW isn't going to stop wearing them anyway... but I feel for the younger members who were willing to think for themselves!

Just This Guy

Re: The Mormon church is looking to crack down on... garments?!

Post by Just This Guy » Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:26 am

Can you provide more details? The article you linked to is pay-walled.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:47 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:26 am
Here's the meat of the article:
Brace yourselves, nonconforming Latter-day Saint women.

Leaders soon will send an updated question to members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who want to enter one of the faith’s temples, reemphasizing that they should wear their sacred underwear as instructed.

General authority Seventy Kevin Hamilton reportedly said as much during a recent stake conference in Elk Grove, Calif.

According to several women who attended the regional gathering, Hamilton informed members that, unlike the faith’s current temple recommend question, the new one won’t leave wearing garments up to personal interpretation.

Hamilton, who is on a committee studying possible redesign of garments, told the assembled lay leaders that too many younger women wear them mostly on Sundays and when attending the temple, recalled conferencegoer Colleen Speer, rather than every day.

“The temple garment is a sacred part of the worship of followers of Jesus Christ. Official announcements related to temple matters come from church headquarters and are reflected in the General Handbook,” spokesperson Doug Andersen said Friday. “Anyone seeking guidance about the wearing of the temple garment should refer to their local leaders or resources available on the church website.”
What the recommend question says now

Right now, the online handbook directs leaders to ask prospective templegoers — women and men — if they wear the garment “as instructed in the endowment.”

It states that “the garment should be worn beneath the outer clothing. It should not be removed for activities that can reasonably be done while wearing the garment, and it should not be modified to accommodate different styles of clothing.”

The handbook adds that “members should seek the guidance of the Holy Spirit to answer personal questions about wearing the garment.”

Hamilton said many younger women are opting for “yoga pants” during the week, Speer recalled.

Translation: Women don’t wear garments under yoga pants.

In response to such individual choices, Speer said the authority declared: “There is only one covenant path.”

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:08 am

Young people particularly hate wearing garments. They hate being controlled. This will go over like a fart in church.
~2bizE

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:09 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:26 am
https://web.archive.org/web/20240402090 ... s-message/
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:44 am

The people that are more casual about garment wearing (their target audience) is already beyond the reach of such messages.

I suppose this is the predictable phase one, orthodox leaders pounding the rules.

If that effort fails, maybe we'll see a phase two where they soften the policies to make it look to the more orthodox members that the casual garment wearers are only being more casual because they adapted to the new policy.

I'm guessing leaders would rather the more orthodox members look at the casual members and arrive at the conclusion that they're still being obedient to the brethren than for them to look at the more casual members and think, "Wait, I can be more casual too." If they want to maintain an illusion of control, they'll soften the policy at some point.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

alas

Post by alas » Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:16 pm

A group of women got some medical based information on the problems women have with garments and took it to the man in charge of designing garments. He complained about them talking about periods and all that blood and gore. Poor men can’t stand to even hear about the blood and gore they force women to live with? Sorry, but to me it is no wonder women are starting to say “no” to garments. Women have silently hated them for so many years, and men are such snowflakes they can’t even hear about it without being grossed out. I think the younger women who are just refusing to even go to the temple have the right idea.

Back in BY’s day, he had several daughters who refused to go through the temple because then they would have to wear wrist length sleeves. So, like any good dad, he changed the garments. So, ladies, you know what the answer is. Just say no.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:22 pm

Here’s a thought.

If the church is trying to control your mind, they would accomplish this by controlling your underwear.

If the church is trying to provide the member with a religious symbol that reminds us of covenants and promises, it could accomplish this in a much different way. The cross is an example.

Underwear that matches the comfort and style of modern day underwear could easily be used. Just revamp the symbols to fit normal underwear.

Or perhaps tattoos. There’s a million options that would solve the problem.

Since they aren’t working to solve the problem, that tells me they are using garments as a method to control and judge.

Everyone that hates them should just simply throw them away and loudly declare their allegiance to Jesus is shown through their countenance and actions.

Silly underwear is for kids!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:23 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:22 pm
How bout I just draw some Magick MORmON Masonic Polygamy symbols on myself every once in a while with a Sharpie™? LD$-Inc. could even start selling Consecrated Sharpie's.

Or better yet: Since believers like to pull the "The temple is all symbolic" I can just say a symbolic prayer that all of my clothing now has symbolic Magick MORmON Masonic Polygamy symbols installed.

Actually... Why does my MORmON brain even think about the stupidity I just typed out?

More Better Solution:
Red Ryder wrote:
Everyone that hates them should just simply throw them away and loudly declare their allegiance to Jesus is shown through their countenance and actions.

Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:28 pm

The church does this to themselves over and over again. It's a pattern.

Example: they don't like the negative press about the treatment of LGBTQ kids at BYU so they take the discriminatory language out of the honor code and tell the world the LGBTQ kids will treated like everyone else to prove they are not bigots (anymore). So the kids believe it and start holding hands, like everybody else, and the church freaks out and cracks down again and those kids get punished and shamed.

They never get the message that people who hang on every word that comes down from the High Sheriffs actually believe it's ok, or even necessary to change their behavior accordingly, but then they get punished spanked for it. "We tell the world that we are changing, but YOU must stay the same regardless of what we say out loud."

The other message they never learn is that there are a lot of church conventions that the church thinks members cherish when in reality they simply HATE them, and when they are given the tiniest amount of permission they will dump them so fast it would make your head turn. How many people complained about modern prophets changing God's sacred ordinances when they removed the throat slitting from the endowment? How many complained about losing the 3-hour block? How much do you want to bet that if the church removed coffee from the WoW, Mormons would instantly become massive consumers of coffee and act like they are fulfilling prophecy by doing so.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:32 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:23 pm

How bout I just draw some Magick MORmON Masonic Polygamy symbols on myself every once in a while with a Sharpie™? LD$-Inc. could even start selling Consecrated Sharpie's.
I'm not sure if it's fully church approved, but I saw an online source selling garment symbol iron-ons, I believe for military people to put on their GI undies.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:33 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:07 pm
It's been a bit since I've been around...
Great to see you back in the neighborhood, Jfro!

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:08 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Red Ryder wrote:

Or better yet: Since believers like to pull the "The temple is all symbolic" I can just say a symbolic prayer that all of my clothing now has symbolic Magick MORmON Masonic Polygamy symbols installed.

Actually... Why does my MORmON brain even think about the stupidity I just typed out?

More Better Solution:
Red Ryder wrote:

I wonder if there is a market for temporary tattoos of the temple markings????
~2bizE

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:06 am

Admitadly It's been a long time since I had a TR interview. The question I remember was "Do you war the garment night and day as instructed in the temple?" Did this get changed sometime over the last decade to be more open?

I do wonder how they will deal with Mormon celebrities / pop figures / athletes.

One example is Lindsey Sterling. (Isn't she some relationship to one of the GA families? I can't remember.) That is one where she regularly wears stuff in public that is not garment friendly. Will she change her wardrobe to fall in line with the new expectation? How many other public figures are there that will be in the same boat?

This does have the affect that when common Mormons see these celebs that openly disregard garments, they are more willing to do so as well. One thing about the younger generations these days is they don't put up with such hiprocracy.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:13 am

Red Ryder wrote:
If the church is trying to provide the member with a religious symbol that reminds us of covenants and promises, it could accomplish this in a much different way. The cross is an example.
This is it 100000000%

The church used to claim they had protective powers and have obviously steered far away since they got a reputation for 'magic underwear.'

So if they're not protective but just about symbolism... why not just sell regular underwear and and have the symbols inside like a tagless shirt? It's not like you want non-members seeing the symbols anyway?

It's control 100% and if it wasn't control they would've made the change long ago. Well control and old white dudes who are like 'if i had to see my wife wearing those monstrosities you're damn right those young hooligans better have to suffer too.'

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:01 am

wtfluff wrote:
Just make sure the cap of the sharpie is off when you consecrate it.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:07 am

The church is missing a major opportunity here. With the rise and acceptance of tattooing, LDSinc could open sacred temple tattoo parlors where the marks are tattooed on, for a nominal price. Of course, these tattoos would require regular touch-up work to maintain their symbolism. Renew your TR by getting the symbols touched up.

If it wasn't for the phobia against body art by certain member of the top leadership, this could rally go places...

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:52 am

nibbler wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:01 am
wtfluff wrote:
Just make sure the cap of the sharpie is off when you consecrate it.
:lol:

Yeah, I did wonder at times why my Magick MORmON Wizard powers didn't have the ability to bypass the cap of the salad dressing.

I guess it's similar to how a "Sacrament" Incantation doesn't work over Zoom?

Just This Guy wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:07 am
The church is missing a major opportunity here. With the rise and acceptance of tattooing, LDSinc could open sacred temple tattoo parlors where the marks are tattooed on, for a nominal price. Of course, these tattoos would require regular touch-up work to maintain their symbolism. Renew your TR by getting the symbols touched up.

If it wasn't for the phobia against body art by certain member of the top leadership, this could rally go places...
Black Light Tatoo Ink?

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:00 pm

Questions to ask:

-Where in scripture does it tell you how to wear your underwear? Where are garments even mentioned?
-Did Joseph Smith receive a direct revelation that tells us how to wear garments?
-Has any prophet declared that the voice of God told him that garments must be worn 24/7?
-Has the church ever changed policies regarding garments (e.g. full length, 1 piece, 2 piece, recent yoyoing of recommend question)?
-Has God told you directly via personal revelation, without room for interpretation, that you must wear garments 24/7?

Hmmm. Maybe God doesn't care about your underwear. All of the information you're getting seems to come from committees. Do you value obedience to committees above common sense, personal freedom, revelation and scripture?

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:35 pm

I can specifically recall following the guidance of the church and asking Godde for direction and personal revelation when I was questioning wearing the garment as instructed. As I prayed, I received a prompting to turn on the TV. No sooner had I done that, the answer to my prayers came in the form of a commercial and later confirmed that night as I dreamed in Heather grey. I just knew that my prayers were answered.

https://youtu.be/hd_hSJ0GipI?si=cgLlqwejbC96mQIO
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg